• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Stephen Colbert Takes a Pot Shot at Spirited Away

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I might just be out of the loop on what drug-consumers do, but... is there any real connection between druggies and Miyazaki movies? Or is he just jabbing at it to get a final random goodbye to Miyazaki?
swiftfox

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Miyazaki movies for the Super Bowl halftime show? Sign me up.
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
I might just be out of the loop on what drug-consumers do, but... is there any real connection between druggies and Miyazaki movies? Or is he just jabbing at it to get a final random goodbye to Miyazaki?

I always thought that Miyazaki's latest movies have been so incoherent and full of weird,trippy imagery that they must have been created by a person that is clearly on some heavy drugs.
OtakuKitten

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I thought this segment was really funny. A good friend of mine watches most of his anime with a bit of a high so I laughed even harder.

He also makes a joke about the river spirit looking like Steve Tyler. That was also pretty funny.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Steven Tyler joke was awesome
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
is there any real connection between druggies and Miyazaki movies?

I doubt it. The thought process for the person writing that joke was probably something like, "Stuff you'd watch if you're stoned: okay, freaky talking babies... talking animals... hmm... oh, hey, how about that weird Japanese cartoon stuff! (quick Google search) This Hayao Miyazaki seems to have some mainstream recognition, let's make that 'a Hayao Miyazaki movie'."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Drac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Well it was between this or Spongebob.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Petrea Mitchell wrote:
Juno016 wrote:
is there any real connection between druggies and Miyazaki movies?

I doubt it. The thought process for the person writing that joke was probably something like, "Stuff you'd watch if you're stoned: okay, freaky talking babies... talking animals... hmm... oh, hey, how about that weird Japanese cartoon stuff! (quick Google search) This Hayao Miyazaki seems to have some mainstream recognition, let's make that 'a Hayao Miyazaki movie'."

Between The Daily Show and the Colbert Report (both executive produced by Jon Stewart) both have made several anime jokes over the years. Since most of the writers on both shows appear to be fairly young (20s and 30s) it's no real stretch to imagine that they aren't well aware of anime, if not actual fans.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like an amusing joke. Anyone found a place where it can be viewed from outside the US?
partysmores

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I'd rather watch Hayao Miyazaki movies during halftime then watch Madonna twerk on her group of strippers of Bruno Mars crying about his feels or whatever they're doing this year.
kanechin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Drac wrote:
Well it was between this or Spongebob.

or turn off the TV.
partysmores wrote:
I'd rather watch Hayao Miyazaki movies during halftime then watch Madonna twerk on her group of strippers of Bruno Mars crying about his feels or whatever they're doing this year.

this x50
Meygaera

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

Between The Daily Show and the Colbert Report (both executive produced by Jon Stewart) both have made several anime jokes over the years. Since most of the writers on both shows appear to be fairly young (20s and 30s) it's no real stretch to imagine that they aren't well aware of anime, if not actual fans.
Emerje

I'd still be surprised if they are actual anime fans. I'd wager that because they are young 20s and 30s, they are more likely to simply know of anime and how "weird" it is. I assume some of their script meetings go like "hmm we need to find something weird/trippy/pervy, let's just google these tags with anime and see what we get and find the quickest reference that suits our needs". They probably have fairly stereotypical and uninformed opinions of anime. But, that's just my guess. If they actually are fans then I assume they would frequent anime sites such as ANN.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

final goodbye implies miyasaki has not unquit already.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
Juno016 wrote:

final goodbye implies miyasaki has not unquit already.

But he hasn't unquit yet (at least, this time). When he "retired," he said it was from film-making. Then he made a comment about his next work, which is a manga. He hasn't completely retired, but he's stopped making movies so he could work on his manga. That has created rumors online that he already revoked his retirement announcement, but he never did. Not yet, anyway. No hints that he will, either. The one Japanese site that indirectly said he revoked it over a radio station didn't have any sources or fellow support from other listeners, and it's well-known for making fake news, so... yeah. I don't trust that one, either.
rydia251

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Live in Denver, and saw an amusing news report talking about the difference between the various visiting playoff fans from San Diego and Boston as seen through the eyes of the pot shop owner that is right across the street from Mile High Stadium (or whatever it's called now) on Federal. I think they are all just different flavors of jerks though. (just kidding, go Broncos!)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3