• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Am I the only black person who likes anime?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lefaron

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:46 am Reply with quote
just wondering
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:52 am Reply with quote
I laughed.

Answer: No, I have a dark skinned friend who watches anime. There is also another dark skin forumer (forumite?) who frequents this forum, The King of Harts.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:53 am Reply with quote
No.
Lefaron

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:03 am Reply with quote
i tried to get every girl I've ever dated every freind i have, all my brothers and sisters (9 of us) to watch anime only one i could get them to watch is School Days Sad BUT! glad to know im not the only one
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:53 am Reply with quote
There are definitely black posters at ANN besides the aforementioned The King of Harts, but it also seems to be true that black people are under-represented among the anime/manga audience from what I can see. I've only gone to a few cons in my life, but they were virtually 99.9% Asians and whites. I wonder why this is? Maybe black people just find anime/manga too goofy?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I wonder why this is? Maybe black people just find anime/manga too goofy?

Lets just say there's a certain pressure for black people to be, well, more black. Honestly, when you think of black people, what comes to mind? Mostly likely rappers, gangstas, and poverty, and that's not meant to make one sound like a racist. Those are just the parts of the culture that are highlighted and put in the forefront, and at times it can subconsciously pressure young black Americans to "fit in", or cause them to seek an idol in a less than ideal individual because they're rich and didn't need no school. If you've ever watched The Boondocks Riley is a perfect example of this, which isn't surprising considering he's meant to represent the part of black culture that tries to be "more black" because being black is cool.

Myself, for example, I wear snug fitting clothing, speak clearly, am of fair intelligence, and am just what most people would expect of a normal American - I'm just also black. And because of that I, jokingly, of course, would always get teased that I wasn't black enough. Unfortunately, and sometimes due to their surroundings, not all black people can break the mold like and others do, and, in fact, try harder to fit in the mold to feel like a part of the culture, to be a part of something. Nerdom obviously isn't a part of that highlighted black culture, so you see more black staying away from it. It certainly doesn't help that nerds in general, despite race, are mocked and made fun of, and no black kid in the south (where there's the largest concentration of black Americans, especially those that "fit the mold") wants to be given shit for being black and a nerd.

At least, this is how I've put it together, because I have noticed the lack of color when I see con photos.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Divineking

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:45 am Reply with quote
Well I am black and an anime fan, and I know several black anime fans, so it;s not as rare as you think.
Eivion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:58 am Reply with quote
Older brother, sister, and myself all like anime.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:40 am Reply with quote
I'm also black and love anime. Been this way since I was like 9 years old and black.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:54 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Myself, for example, I wear snug fitting clothing, speak clearly, am of fair intelligence, and am just what most people would expect of a normal American - I'm just also black. And because of that I, jokingly, of course, would always get teased that I wasn't black enough. Unfortunately, and sometimes due to their surroundings, not all black people can break the mold like and others do, and, in fact, try harder to fit in the mold to feel like a part of the culture, to be a part of something. Nerdom obviously isn't a part of that highlighted black culture, so you see more black staying away from it.

I used to teach at an urban high school, one where the student population was probably about 85% black and having all-black classes was a common occurrence, and I can attest to the accuracy of your statements based on personal observations, only in my experience the "jokes" you refer to had a more mean-spirited feel to them. Although no one wanted to openly admit it, there was definitely a culture amongst the students where doing anything "smart" (getting good grades, having nerdy hobbies, etc.) was derogatorily associated with "being white," and I often felt that that, moreso than anything else, lay at the root of the school's academic problems.

Even so, I still ran across the occasional black student who was into anime; heck, I even lent anime DVDs out to some of them. In the middle schools that I've been working in for the past couple of years, which are a mixed suburban/urban crowd, it's a little more common.

Quote:
At least, this is how I've put it together, because I have noticed the lack of color when I see con photos.

When I was at Anime Central last month I saw the occasional African-American, but they were certainly well outnumbered by Asians present and probably didn't composed more than maybe 2% of the attendees. Most of them were teen girls, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:04 pm Reply with quote
You would think an African-american like me who likes Japanese animation would also have the athletic instincts of an all-star NBA basketball player. But.... you would be surprised. I honestly wish I could play basketball or sports in general on a more regular basis just to get more of that adrenaline rush! But *sigh* what can ya do?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:03 pm Reply with quote
So basically, a black Jewish lesbian otaku in a wheelchair would be in the tiniest minority known to humankind.
Song_Bird

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Aside from the occasional person I might see in the anime/manga section of the nearest bookstore/video store, there does seem to be a lack of black fans in anime. However, they are there. Most notable in the anime clubs of the near by HBCUs (Historically Black Colleges and Universities).

There is a big pressure to "fit in" with your peers. Because of this, I think most tend to be more of what one would consider closet fans. Living a sort of a double life. You don't go to con because their "too greeky" (and cosplay heaven forbid...). Don't really talk about anime openly unless you're with friends who are into it too. Cool & hip on the outside but they may have a DVD/manga collection hidden under the bed or in the colest. (Personally, I've found out about a couple of my cousins who have closet habits.)

I have noticed that on the internet more of us tend to let out our nerdy side. There are quite a few groups/boards geared toward the black fans. When talking to some of board's creators you find that the groups were created out of the same concern of "Am I the only one?" or "I know I'm not the only one so where are the rest of you guys?".

... And yes I am a black anime fan. Been that way for 10+ years.
The Third Doctor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Nope.
Lefaron

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Lets just say there's a certain pressure for black people to be, well, more black

Well I was raised in a pretty much rough neighborhood hood aka ghetto/hood I've seen it all from drug dealers, Gang Bangers, Crack Heads, etc etc so growing up i got a lot of lets say..street smarts from growing up in that kind of environment BUT, after seeing my mom finish school to be a nurse it clicked in my head that you can do anything you want so long story short i sold drugs finished high school i made about (if i just guess) prob 200k but most of it went to mama and baby sis used some for college which im still attending now also moved to California (very gorgeous women out here XP) any way yea man Mr. King of Harts (awesome name btw) I 1999% agree wit you on that one from what i seen but in my case...im just addict to money X
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6