• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Escaflowne COOL or NOT?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hisdon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
Hisdon wrote:
I couldn't get into Escaflowne like I could with other series that are in my favorites. Most the emotion in Escaflowne to me just seemed like infatuation, and it annoyed me.

Ah, yes. But that's part of the whole point. A big theme of the series is learning the difference between crushes and real love.

oh great so now it's like NGE and if I hate Shinji I'm getting the point... D;/

<- so silly I didn't relize that.
x_Hisoka_x

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:59 pm Reply with quote
This is pretty good feedback. I was planning on watching it eventually and now I know I must. Then hopefully after I'm done wacthing the series the movie will make a little more sense Confused
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Newcomer wrote:
Then hopefully after I'm done wacthing the series the movie will make a little more sense Confused

The movie is a totally separate timeline. It's sort of a retelling of the TV series and isn't as in depth. Actually, I'd say the story was completely different.

In the TV series you see friendships and romance develop, a shounen-esque style of storytelling, and an overall balanced atmosphere.

The movie is a lot darker in both art and story. It's more violent, and most of the supporting characters have little to no role in comparison to their TV counterparts. I didn't like it too much myself at first, but if you get a chance to watch the interviews on the Ultimate Edition, the Japanese crew explains a lot of the revisioning very well. Because of that, I like the movie a lot now.

And do note there's also a 4 year gap between production of the series and movie. I've got some old posts elsewhere that talk about it, but I'm trying to get over a fever right now and don't feel like searching Anime dazed.
sirkozmo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:

Incidentally, I think it's interesting that so many people are labeling Escaflowne shoujo. Like bluepita, I was under the impression that it was one of the first true crossover series - there's certainly something in it for everyone. In fact, I believe there are even two versions of the manga - one shoujo and the other shounen.

That's actually what drew me into the series and what I enjoy the most about it. The fact that its unlike most titles and how it appeals to both demographics. Me being a male myself, I will always be into titles that seem to represent a decent balance both between shoujo and shonen where it isn't just a plethora of mindless action with no purpose nor is it just some plastic superficial romantic plot with nothing substantial that emotionally draws the characters in question together. Escaflowne is a title that I'd have to highly recommend as an Excellent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2