• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Job Openings at Anime News Network

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:42 pm Reply with quote
For the streaming position I live in Canada and don't have access to Hulu. That being said I consume large amounts of anime every season and have been writing reviews for over a year at this point and have received press releases from Viz Media and review copies from Vertical Inc. Can I still apply?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Specifically you need to legally be able to access all of the major streaming networks for anime.

I apologize if that excludes Canadian writers, but it's a requirement for the position.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Specifically you need to legally be able to access all of the major streaming networks for anime.

I apologize if that excludes Canadian writers, but it's a requirement for the position.

Okay, thanks.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Egads. 12 or more anime a season? I'm not a machine.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Oooh, I'm a machine.

A se--- no, just a free time machine.

I've got a Hulu account. Crunchyroll and Funimation as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Very happy to see ANN is expanding its stable of reviewers. With the sheer amount of legit streaming content now available it makes sense to hire more peeps. Hopefully, their tastes will align perfectly with mine so I can experience the sweet satisfaction of having my opinions validated! Wink
RedemptionRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Well that's unfortunate. "pokes Hulu for not having a Canadian service"

Ah well, more time spent watching than writing for me I guess :*
Audhulma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Usually I review majority of every animes as i watched like give the first 5 episodes a test to see if it sparks some interest in plot and anime artwork.

For the Streamer Position you need to write 1 review per the 12 animes per episode?
MagicallyDelicious

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:24 am Reply with quote
I am extremely interested in the position and I meet all of the requirements except the "Extended experience writing media reviews"... which is, truly, what separates the fans from the 'professionals' and is a vital part of the job requirements. I have writing experience, most of it several years ago on a long since defunct anime forum, but I'm sure that isn't what's being asked for.

I might still apply, anyways, because why not.
Kurohayabusa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:26 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

So I guess that means it's impossible for us Australians too, huh. Well, you Americans can go enjoy being Americans while us Australians can lurk around in the shadows... watching... watching... and waiting...
oblueknighto

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:37 am Reply with quote
Kurohayabusa wrote:
Zac wrote:

So I guess that means it's impossible for us Australians too, huh. Well, you Americans can go enjoy being Americans while us Australians can lurk around in the shadows... watching... watching... and waiting...

It is a good thing that ANN is hiring new staff but it seems all the streaming reviewers will come from the US. I would have applied for sure if not for that requirement.

It really is too bad for many of us who live outside the US. Funimation and Hulu are discriminating against us...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:52 am Reply with quote
Companies make deals for streaming in particular countries, rarely for all of them, as they likely have no presence in certain areas. Why spend money to buy streaming rights for areas your company doesn't do business in?

It's an unfortunate aspect of streaming online, but these are businesses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:02 am Reply with quote
Zac,

Could you maybe try and find someone who has little to no anime watching experience before?

To be honest I would be really interested to read the review of someone with no pre-knowledge of the tropes or fandom or history of a series and just really evaluates it blindly from an outsider's perspective.
It might be hilarious! Or it might be enlightening.

I guess the only problem is finding someone that'd do it who wasn't already an anime fan...
Crispy45

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:24 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Could you maybe try and find someone who has little to no anime watching experience before to review anime?

Yeah that's exactly what we need >_> To encourage more people jumping in to talk about a medium they have zero interest in. Worked so well everytime some angry video critic does it on YouTube.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:57 am Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
samuelp wrote:
Could you maybe try and find someone who has little to no anime watching experience before to review anime?

Yeah that's exactly what we need >_> To encourage more people jumping in to talk about a medium they have zero interest in. Worked so well everytime some angry video critic does it on YouTube.

I said little to no _experience_, not interest. There's a difference.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4