• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ever play a video game you'd like to see made into Anime?

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ramezrh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I've seen a few video game franchises out lately and it occurs to me that anime developers seem to have EXTREMELY poor taste when picking a game to make into a series (Sorceror stabber: Orphen springs to mind a game that didn't deserve a sequel let alone a series)

hehe for me it would be the Shadow Hearts series the gameplay was shallow and a complete mirror of any other rpg I've ever seen but both of these games where an emotional rollercoaster that just kept me playing till the end all i could think of is this would be the best thing ever as an anime and was interested to know if anyones had a similar experience ? Smile

also to an extent the Summoner series ..

Oh and the Breath of Fire series .. the playstation graphics never did do that series ANY justice.

i appreciate up do date anime series based on games have indeed been a total wipeout but i believe this is because the developers have either

A : Picked the wrong game as source material (probably cos its either cheep or the character designs are striking)

B : Treated the development of the series as a low priority as it is essentially an unproven market waist deep in the corpses of failed attempts .. it would take something quite spectacular to break the perception that all "videogame anime" is awful as indeed my first reply has proven Wink

I simply wanna see if theres any game anime that anyones secretly craving for .. as i have as stated quite a few examples , why do i ask you say? im nosy and curious =)

oh and if theres any i like the sound of il play the game i love anime a like video games

actually i could list quite a few but i think il wait for some replies now Wink
SnoMitz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:08 pm Reply with quote
hmmm...i'm not really into videogames...i tried few times at my friend's house and i end up in the middle of no where..recently i saw my friend play Fire Emblem..and i think the characters are pretty cool...especially Alvis and Marth...and yup..i would like to see the anime version of it....but i wonder if they'll ever make it.
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Definitely Metal Gear Solid! It'd be perfect too. I'd definitely watch that anime. But didn't the first game have alternate endings? I wonder which ending they'd choose if they wanted to make based off of the game.

As for me, I'd like to see a Halo anime. Master Chief going up against the Flood and the Covenant as an animated TV series would be sweet. Master Chief running around dual wielding pistols going up against the Arbiter with a sword. I can see it now. Razz
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:33 pm Reply with quote
ramezrh wrote:
oh and if theres any i like the sound of il play the game i love anime a like video games

What hell, what are you trying to say?

Also I don't know if your into the videogame series Xenosaga there is a series based on that.....but as for myself what games would like to see made into an anime.....Well first did they ever do a Gundam Anime or .Hack/ Anime? Those would be my top two choices, otherwise I am still a fan of the worms series. I think that someone could make a hilarious anime version of the worms, or something more serious Assassin Creed. I know the game isn't out but that era of history is extremely interesting, and I wouldn't mind seeing that dark world brought to life in an anime.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral

P.S. I hope everyone knows I am joking about Gundam/Hack
ramezrh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:38 pm Reply with quote
hehe im trying to say that i like anime like plots in rpg videogames that i play Shadow Hearts is a very good example of this and if you haven't played it and like the .hack series i reccomend it it takes a while to warm up but once it does putting it down is frankly impossible Smile

and youl be pleased to know that at least 2 series have been made of the .Hack series one of which .Hack//Sign i think is extremely praiseworthy theres also a .Hack//Legend of Twilights Bracelet but i really didn't like that one ... very silly little 13 parter.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Guilty Gear would definetly be one I'd want to see. Sol Badguy: the Guilty Gear Twisted Evil Street Fighter 2 was made into an anime and an anime movie. So far what I've seen of the series, it's a pretty good storyline, and the characters are well developed, even though some of them have different storylines. Darkstalkers I felt could have been expanded some more, 4 eps didn't quite cut it. But most of the time their promos for the games.
x_Hisoka_x

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:04 pm Reply with quote
YES! A Halo anime would be kick ass man. I can see it now. Energy Sword fight between the Arbiter and Master Chief. Awesome!

What other games would make good animes? Let me think. I can definitely see Dante from Devil May Cry in an anime. Can you picture the fights between him and Virgil? I can deinfitely see a Zelda anime. Link would be badass if he was done anime style.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I'll say the most obvious two choices to me as a gamer: Xenogears and Guilty Gear series (In particular my favorite being X-2)

Xenogears already is chock full of JA cutscenes (about 20-25 minutes worth done by Production I.G. in 1997), and its storyline is outstanding. It puzzles me how Xenosaga got made into an Japanese anime but a game far superior does not. The game looked cool in 1997, imagine what the series would look like now. Vocals by Joanne Hogg were amazing, and it's one of the few games to ever make me misty-eyed at the end (that or the 9 consective hours playing, not sure Rolling Eyes). Just listen to this mix from the game and tell me what justice is there that Disgaea gets an anime series within 2 years but the wait on Xenogears is nearing 10 years.

Also, the Guilty Gear series has all the ecclectic characters that are needed in a series (Jam, Bridget, Sol Badguy, Ky Kiske and more), and by simply following the story mode a very good JA seriees can be produced. Also a trailer-ish promo was done (Part 1 and Part 2) and outside of some rather questionable English dubbing, it rocks the house. No reason this should follow the legion of fighting games turned JA series (Street Fighter, DarkStalkers, etc.) and unlike Xenogears, titles are still being churned out, meaning Joe Gamer who's a fighting game aficionado but not a Japanese anime fan would eat it up. Can the anime company lucky enough to produce this say "KA-CHING!!!"

I have others I'd like to mention but I'd like to hear about these and other games first.

EDIT: SOmeone mentioned GG while I was posting, great minds think alike!
kami_the_fox

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:53 am Reply with quote
Shadow the hedgehog =D i know that Sonic Team has their own animes & the entire franchise is pretty big buuut i loved the game and i would like to see an anime based Solely on STH with the game's plotline somehow infused and if that were to happen and it was licenced god forbid it being dubbed by 4Kids TV in my personal opinion they should DIE
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:04 am Reply with quote
ramezrh wrote:
I've seen a few video game franchises out lately and it occurs to me that anime developers seem to have EXTREMELY poor taste when picking a game to make into a series (Sorceror stabber: Orphen springs to mind a game that didn't deserve a sequel let alone a series)

hehe for me it would be the Shadow Hearts series the gameplay was shallow and a complete mirror of any other rpg I've ever seen but both of these games where an emotional rollercoaster that just kept me playing till the end all i could think of is this would be the best thing ever as an anime and was interested to know if anyones had a similar experience ? Smile

also to an extent the Summoner series ..

Oh and the Breath of Fire series .. the playstation graphics never did do that series ANY justice.

actually i could list quite a few but i think il wait for some replies now Wink

You there. You come from the birthplace of the English language. So why aren't you using it correctly?

Actually, I don't care why you're not, you're going to whether you like it or not. We have rules around here. One of them being that you type in proper English. Unless you're from a non-English-speaking country and struggle with the language—and last I checked, the UK sure wasn't one of those—you will type properly, or you will leave.

Is that clear?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Belle Starlia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:13 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind seeing a few of the Final Fantasy games being made into a [good] anime. I know there've been a few (Last Order) but I wouldn't mind seeing the video game itself animated.

I'd love to see Lunar: Silver Star Story complete fully animated, though it'll never happen. It's just an old video game fav of mine which did have some anime cutscenes.

The others would have to be any of the Tales series, some of which (Eternia, Phantasia, Symphonia) have been/are being made into OVAs and such, but I wouldn't mind seeing the others done too.
coldmug

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:48 am Reply with quote
The game xenosage is probbly one of the best video games around but i think the anime they made after the game was done just awful. The first ressons i noticed was because of the storys not matching and so many things where done diffrently made it bad.

Than a game i think would make a good anime would probbly be the game lunar and also a final fantasy i also would agree on would be a cool anime
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:44 am Reply with quote
Anime_Newcomer wrote:
YES! A Halo anime would be kick ass man. I can see it now. Energy Sword fight between the Arbiter and Master Chief. Awesome!

What other games would make good animes? Let me think. I can definitely see Dante from Devil May Cry in an anime. Can you picture the fights between him and Virgil? I can deinfitely see a Zelda anime. Link would be badass if he was done anime style.

A few interesting things with the games you noted. First off Halo is already getting a live-action treatment.....so anime (Yet there was an ARG) isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Next Devil May Cry, I like that choice hell I could actually see it happening sometime in the future. I mean there is a manga already, and the manga is a lead into DMC3. That would be one BA anime......

Then there is the grand-daddy of all videogames (Sorry Mario, Link is best the series) The Legend of Zelda. It would be nice to see an original story that was made for an anime.....however there is no way Nintendo is ever going to license this series out again (Once again IMO) after that mess on the master system or whatever it was....
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:23 pm Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:
Also, the Guilty Gear series has all the ecclectic characters that are needed in a series (Jam, Bridget, Sol Badguy, Ky Kiske and more), and by simply following the story mode a very good JA seriees can be produced. Also a trailer-ish promo was done (Part 1 and Part 2) and outside of some rather questionable English dubbing, it rocks the house. No reason this should follow the legion of fighting games turned JA series (Street Fighter, DarkStalkers, etc.) and unlike Xenogears, titles are still being churned out, meaning Joe Gamer who's a fighting game aficionado but not a Japanese anime fan would eat it up. Can the anime company lucky enough to produce this say "KA-CHING!!!"

I TOTALLY agree with you. Guilty Gear has anime-stule graphics, an AWESOME plot, and that trailer you linked was AWESOME. I loved it!!!!! After all, Guilty Gear is one of the most popular VGs Very Happy

I think Golden Sun would make a decent anime series too. Nice plot, cool characters, and its story has a continuous line, so people don't get really confused at it (unlike some other videogames I've seen)

And Shining Force 2: Resurrection of Dark Dragon falls under that category too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:40 pm Reply with quote
TestamentSaki wrote:
And Shining Force 2: Resurrection of Dark Dragon falls under that category too.

I love the Shining Force series from way back when it was on Genesis. And I like to see the trilogy from the Saturn (I think it was also continued onto Dreamcast as well) brought to life in an anime form....reason being most US gamers never got the chance to finish the story, and I would like to what happened to those characters.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11