• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anyone seen Gatekeepers?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I just recently borrowed Gatekeepers vol 1 & 2 on dvd from a friends and this anime is quite interesting. I read somewhere (possibly even here) that Ggatekeepers was a "guilty pleasure" and I couldn't agree more. It feels alot like a 10 year old's show yet something manages to keep me interested.

I'm also quite new to anime and although I heard of them, I've never seen anything Gonzo has done up until now. But if they can improve on what they've shown me here then I think they may have a new fan.

Also, does anyone know if the series gets darker as most series I watch do tend to, such as Trigun, or Rurouni Kenshin. Does it get better then this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, as the series goes it does get a bit more darker, even more so with the sequal, Gatekeepers 21.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Jinchuu wrote:
Does it get better then this?

I wouldn't say that it neccessarily gets "better," but like Emerje said, it does get a bit darker. I think it maintains its fairly constant "fun factor" throughout the entire series. There isn't really anything about the series that makes you say, "OMG, I just have to get anything and everything that is related to the this!" It's more...I think I'm gonna let my mind turn into some goo while I watch this incredibly silly, yet good show.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen the first series, but I've seen 21 through TechTV. Aside from not catching some of the references to the first series, I quite enjoyed it. Definitely looks darker & more serious than Gatekeepers, though; the only real comedy in the whole thing came from the character of Miu. Absolutely wonderful opening theme, as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
wizard55

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Same here. I have only seen the OAV Gatekeepers 21 from Techtv. I love the opening theme.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I'll be blunt. Gatekeepers is the best corny series you'll ever see.
Hotaru

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 10:55 pm Reply with quote
i think it's supposed to be corny.

i really liked it, it was enjoyable. i tried watching gatekeepers 21 on tech tv...i dunno if it was the dub, or the weird timing that it was on, but i just didn't get into it.

gatekeepers is good tho. the songs are cool

"you can op-un the gate!"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I LOVE Gate Keepers. I finished watching the TV series and OAV about a month and a half ago.

As many people have said, it's got its corniness, but for some reason it just seems like a very fun and energetic series to watch.

I'm currently making plans to buy the R1 DVDs on eBay someday.

And as for the series itself getting darker, I'd say yes. I think around episode 18 or so it gets a little less corny and a little more serious.

Gate Keepers 21 is pretty dark though. Aside from Miu, there's nothing to laugh about. I enjoyed all of the anime very much and would suggest you add it to your collection, given that you finish watching it first and give it some thought.

If you want a little info on the TV and OAV, I actually created the plot summaries for them in the Encyclopedia. There are also some links to some sites that give a good amount of info on both of them.

The animation is nice, the music is energetic, and I really like a lot of the characters. The dubs for both are OK, but due to my preference of watching things that take place in Japan in Japanese, well, I prefer the Japanese.

Anyway, Gonzo has a lot of other good stuff out there. Hellsing, Vandread, and Full Metal Panic! are a few. I've only seen Hellsing, but I hear the other two are very good and highly regarded titles. Wink
Aki001

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 10:31 am Reply with quote
Very Happy
this anime is good but . . .why the hell do they have to be unknown to the society?

but its okey.
blitz5000

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 6:06 am Reply with quote
it was a good anime.... but im hoping to watch the 2nd one...
janice_singkit

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 1:25 am Reply with quote
Actually, Gatekeepers is my favorite anime. Very Happy Even if its plot is childish and corny, I really love it. I love the illustrations and the concept of the gate. I do not know why. I just love it. From the time that I watched and liked Gatekeepers, I loved almost all of the works of Gonzo like Vandread.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1