• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Questions about Utawarerumono

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omar235

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:59 am Reply with quote
Well I have a question on Utawarerumono, and its this, are the samurai normal humans because that guy who runs around with Benwi has those same animal like ears?

Also tell me what you think of the series so far? is it good or bad?
does it have potential?
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:13 am Reply with quote
Er, the samurai? Well, if they have the furry ears/tail, they're probably not normal humans and of the same species as Eruruu and Aruruu. This includes spoiler[Oboro, Benawi, Benawi's vice captain, etc.]. Hakuoro does not possess these traits, so I would guess he is a normal human. My guess for the future is that spoiler[Hakuoro will slowly regain his past memories (which are nightmarish) and they will come to haunt him. Pretty soon, there will be a point where he just completely loses it.]

I think this series is really good thus far (up to Episode 9 at least). It is #3 on my list of best new shows this season (Haruhi #2, Higurashi #1). I liked it right from the start, when spoiler[Hakuoro wakes up after being saved by Eruruu and Tusukuru. The beginning reminded me a lot of the game Ys: Ark of Napishtim, in which the main character, Adol, was saved by priestesses of a species called Rehdan. Now, they're fighting for their freedom and a formation of a free country, and struggling to protect it. I believe that the series can go either way at this point; it could be more fighting and more fighting, or it can become much more dark and have Hakuoro's past catch up with him. It has potential, but it also has potential to go downhill. ]
omar235

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:18 am Reply with quote
Thats the only problem, because all the samurai are wearing armor so its difficult to tell. But it they arnt normal were are the normal humans? I think the king was a normal human but im not sure.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:23 am Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
Well I have a question on Utawarerumono, and its this, are the samurai normal humans because that guy who runs around with Benwi has those same animal like ears?

Also tell me what you think of the series so far? is it good or bad?
does it have potential?

I think it's the hair that's covering Benawi's animal-like ears (I assume it's the same for Hakurou).

As for the series itself. It's very solid fantasy and surprisingly gory at certain moments (almost on par with Berserk). Though OLM's usage of 3DCG during the wide-scale battles on the soldiers does look clunky. But of course it's Hakurou's awesome tactical thinking that makes the battles worthwhile. And there's lots of cute and hot girls as well (and yes, fangirls, there are hot bishies in this series also Wink ).

In fact, I pretty much admire Hakurou's level-headedness; he doesn't get all cocky or be overractive (spoiler[though the tragic incident that happened in episode 11 might change otherwise]). The series has great potential, and it's steadily becoming a little better as each episode progressed.
omar235

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I see.....I thought Hakurou was a normal human because he didn't know why Eruruu had a tale. Were you just speculating?
Exaar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:40 pm Reply with quote
He didn't know Eruruu had a tail, but he had also just awakened with no memories. It's kind of unclear as to whether he really didn't know or just 'forgot'. If you ask me, Hakuoro and Benawi look very similar. I remember when I first saw Benawi in an earlier episode, I thought he was somehow related to Hakuoro. I've often wondered about Benawi's race myself... most of the other soliders wear those 'ear-protector' head gear pieces, which obviously cover their animal-ears, and all the guys who don't wear such things (Benawi's lieutenant guy, Oboro, etc) all have very noticable ears.. but niether Hakuoro or Benawi wear them and they both have no visible animal-ears. It may have no significance at all and indeed just be their haircuts, but it does make me wonder if they are in fact a differant race.. especially since the differant countries/races seem to be distinguished by the type of ear/tail they have. (The mercenary chick with the huge sword, for example, has a cat-like tail and ears, differant from those of Eruruu and Co., and the new chick who just showed up in ep. 11 to fight them has very differant looking ears.)

I'm enjoying the show a lot so far. At first it seemed very generic, but it has rapidly developed and as more interesting characters keep getting added to the cast it is becoming more and more enjoyable. I look forward to seeing the rest, whether the mystery of Hakuoro/Benawi's ears is ever solved or not. Smile
omar235

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what Hakuoro and Benawi's ears look like...hm
Quadraxis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:50 am Reply with quote
This series is also my #3 best show this season (with also Haruhi and Higurashi above it). It started kinda cliche (Hakuoro losing all his memories after being beaten up; I've seen that in other games) but it rapidly grew a lot better. The characters are interesting, the battles and the strategy are nice to watch and I also really love the OP. It's certainly one of the better fantasy shows so far. Sometimes I even question myself why there aren't more shows like this one, with the battles and such.

Quote:
And there's lots of cute and hot girls as well.

Well, it IS based on a strategy/hentai game Razz.
blackmage

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:24 am Reply with quote
if you actually looked closely you can see that Hakuoro has normal human ears like us. in episode 7 5:01 time

Last edited by blackmage on Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
omar235

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:45 am Reply with quote
Nice work Blackmage. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1