• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Utawarerumono.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ethanftw

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:03 am Reply with quote
First of all, Hi, I'm new here. Within the past year i've got into anime, not really into the sub, but into the dub. I also don't really care much for the manga. Just mainly the good english dubs of animes.

Anyway, that's beside the point. I just picked up the Utawarerumono complete series. It looks pretty good. Has anyone else seen it? Thoughts? I hope I like it. My favorite anime of all time is Eureka Seven.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:03 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Utawarerumono. It has a pattern of one or two serious/fighting episodes followed by one or two laid-back comedy episodes. The art isn't the best (particularly when shifting into CGI for the larger scale birds eye view of battles) but it suffices. The characters are all pretty enjoyable, with Touka and Aruru being my favoites.

The ending is quite... different than one would expect, but it works in a way. I still enjoyed the first 20 or so episodes more than the last couple.
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:08 am Reply with quote
Utawarerumono is a semi-epic fantasy series which has fantasy variations on mecha pop up about midway through and also shows some sci fi elements late in the series. It's essentially about a guy who wakes up with amnesia and wearing a mask that he cannot remove, but through a combination of his great fighting and tactical skills he gradually earns allies (and surrounds himself with cute and/or sexy female characters!) and progressively rises to become an Emperor before some nasty stuff about his past pop up to disrupt things. Thing is, he doesn't do it because of any ambitions to lead; at every stage circumstances just kind of force him in that direction.

The series is known for its attractive character designs, big set battle pieces, and occasional comedy bits. It's also very important to understand up front that this was based on an adult (read: erotic content) tactical RPG, as that explains a lot of the structure involving the hero's interactions with various characters; in the original game, there was a path to sex between the hero and each prominent female character depending on how you did things. The series has hardly any content in it which goes beyond a PG level, but that's the reason why such a diverse array of hotties is always hanging around the hero.

I generally gave the series B grades when reviewing individual disk releases back in 2007 (you can see those on the series' Encyclopedia page), which means "solid but unremarkable" in my accounting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Key summed it up really well there- it's a great show, it's worth watching and showing to others, but what I remember most about it are the gags involving the english-unfriendly title. The ads had pronounciation guides, and during Iron Editor at Sakura Con it was referred to as 'under water ray ramano'. My fiance asked me to borrow 'that show with the mask guy', and returned 'that show with the hot animal chicks'. Laughing
ethanftw

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Awesome. Thanks. I'm looking forward to starting it. I'm glad I've heard mostly good feedback from it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1