• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Eureka Seven (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackness

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:48 pm Reply with quote

Eureka Seven (TV)

What do you think about Eureka 7? I think it's awesome. It always keeps me on my tip toes with suspense. My favorite character is Holand. He's my favorite because he's funny, wise, mysterious, romantic, and unpredictable. My favorite thing about him is that he's got a sense of humor. And, to me, it's freakin' hilarious that spoiler[he wears nothing but boxers aboard the Geko State]. It's not unusual to me, but I find it funny.
omnistry

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:33 pm Reply with quote
The show is a joy to watch. Big ups to the creator for the music references; and bonus points for naming the main character after everyone's favorite heroin addict from "Trainspotting".
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I've been trying to get into the show but I'm having a hard time doing so. We're 7 episodes in (haven't watched ep. 7 yet), and so far I have no idea where it's going. Save for maybe episode one each episode has virtually been the same and follows a basic formula. By this point I would think I would like to know where everyone is going. Usually characters have some sort of destination or overall goal. The Gekkostate crew, well, they just sort of cruise around until they get a chance to ride the waves. Also, given the fact that this is supposed to be a mecha show there's very little mecha involved (maybe that's why it's popular). Anyway I know the military has something up their sleeves to obtain the Nirvash, but the moments that appear to be what move the overall story along seem so separated from everything else that it's difficult for me to get an idea of what will happen. Then again, maybe there's something I completely missed.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying it, I like the balance of the light hearted story and the fact there is still a decent story with enough depth to balance with it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:08 pm Reply with quote
It's good so far, I'm liking it a lot, but a storyline would be nice.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:16 pm Reply with quote
the show is doing horrible on Adult swim... and i mean REALLY horrible.

i honestly think it's one of the best mecha series i've seen, and i hate this genre. sure it starts off kinda slow at the beginning, but once it gets to the first Acperience, the show nothing but great beyond that point. the only thing i didn't like is spoiler[i felt that it wrapped up too nicely. you never felt like Gekko State ever made any real sacrifice in the end, it just seemed like another mission. i also HATED the direction they took Anemone's character.]

TranceLimit174 wrote:
I've been trying to get into the show but I'm having a hard time doing so. We're 7 episodes in (haven't watched ep. 7 yet), and so far I have no idea where it's going. Save for maybe episode one each episode has virtually been the same and follows a basic formula. By this point I would think I would like to know where everyone is going. Usually characters have some sort of destination or overall goal. The Gekkostate crew, well, they just sort of cruise around until they get a chance to ride the waves. Also, given the fact that this is supposed to be a mecha show there's very little mecha involved (maybe that's why it's popular). Anyway I know the military has something up their sleeves to obtain the Nirvash, but the moments that appear to be what move the overall story along seem so separated from everything else that it's difficult for me to get an idea of what will happen. Then again, maybe there's something I completely missed.

LOL Gaogaigar has like 20 fillers in a row... and you have trouble getting into this?

Last edited by v1cious on Wed May 31, 2006 6:35 pm; edited 6 times in total
Ilikeulikeme

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I really cant get into either it moves too slow and there is rarely in mechs I don't know maybe it'll get better
Pleroma

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Its not really a mech show, it has some pretty cool battles but the enjoyment comes from the character interactions here. Also don't forget that its 50 episodes long, so dont expact much this early on, just trust all of those who have seen it and assure you that it is an awsome show.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Ilikeulikeme wrote:
I really can't get into either it moves too slow and there is rarely in mechs I don't know maybe it'll get better

It does pick up and become more serious, but it kind of switches on and off. The plot does thicken, but often, some incredibly random stuff happens in the midst of something serious, which is kind of...random...and, weird. Except, this kind of strangeness actually works in this series, and actually enhances the plotline in a way (and prevents it from being too angsty). Holland is my favorite character in the series, and I couldn't understand his completely random mood swings and violent temper at first, but eventually, the series subtly reveals why he acts in such a manner.

Some of my friends think this series is really cliche, but I think that in a sense, this is one of the more original animes I've seen. Its originality lies not in its premise, but in the execution.
Shorty22

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:46 am Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
I've been trying to get into the show but I'm having a hard time doing so. We're 7 episodes in (haven't watched ep. 7 yet), and so far I have no idea where it's going. Usually characters have some sort of destination or overall goal. Anyway I know the military has something up their sleeves to obtain the Nirvash, but the moments that appear to be what move the overall story along seem so separated from everything else that it's difficult for me to get an idea of what will happen. Then again, maybe there's something I completely missed.

I feel the same way. I want to know what they're doing, where they're going, something, anything. I feel as if nothing is being accomplished, aside from picking up Renton, we're just floating around aimlessly. Things are barely keeping my interest right now. I keep reading that it just starts out slow and it picks up later... well, just what episode number does it starts to pick up in? I just noticed it was a 50 episode series, so I'm not going to sit around forever here.

I don't mean to sound demanding or anything. It doesn't have to be fast action to entertain me, but I would just like some plot advancement. So far, all we have is spoiler[Renton's supposedly going to learn more about mechanics. Eureka seems to talk to machinery(?), 3 adopted children and is mostly still mysteriously unexplainable. An awkward relationship attempts to begin, mainly on Renton's half as Eureka seems oblivious. There's some dense military guys that seem to want Nirvash, but apparently not enough to actively pursue the Gekkostate for it.] I mean, these are all good points, when are they going to get around to exploring one (or more) of them?
Kelly

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:21 am Reply with quote
I'm giving it a chance, with the understanding that I'm admittedly not among the series' target audience. I like Renton alot (have to be impressed by a guy who isn't afraid to admit how close he is to his sister), and Eureka is growing on me too. Unfortunately, the rest of the cast isn't doing that much for me, and the show might lose me if the nonsense that went on for most of the last episode starts becoming habitual.
patch

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:52 am Reply with quote
Agree with most of the comments, seems that it is starting off on a slow pace, I'm just waiting for the moment when everything kicks into high gear. I do feel that it is entertaining enough at this point to stick with it to see what happens though.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:51 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
LOL Gaogaigar has like 20 fillers in a row... and you have trouble getting into this?

Haha touche. However, when I started GaoGaiGar I strapped myself in for a mecha show, and that's what I got. Sure the first 23 eps. or so mainly consist of a formulaic villain of the week (some of which are rather dumb), but at least throughout those episodes you always got something new. A good chunk of those episodes begin with a little scene from the past and some episodes drop hints for what's to come (like the foreshadowing for Pizza). Also, overlooking the entire series it's a little tough to call it all complete filler. We do learn about what happened in the past, how things came to be, there is some foreshadowing, and pretty much everything comes into play later (the various Yuusha Robo, Eraser Head, Dividing Driver, ect.). Also GaoGaiGar had the mecha action to back itself up, and the attack animations were very well done so at least it was entertaining on an action level. Also I pretty much liked every character from GGG.

Now as far as Eureka Seven, I also buckled in for a mecha series. How could I not? All of the hype, advertisments, and even the opening and first episode all pointed in that direction. However there is very little mecha in the show. That's not that big a deal, but each episode is so direct and repetetive for me that I would like to see some nice mecha battles to make up for it. Unlike GaoGaiGar, where I could at least look forward to a new weapon, characters, or a plot tease (for the first half), with Eureka Seven all I ask myself is "Ok, who's hazing Renton this week?" Part of that actually stems from my disappointment. I think the show did an excellent job establishing all of the characters within the first 2 episodes. So when I tune in each week and see who the episode is devoted to, I already have a good idea of how everyone's going to act. So really, I feel like the character establishment is getting redundant. I just feel like saying "I get it! I know what this character is like. Enough already." If there was a closer connection to the Gekkostate and the military at this point, then I could at least latch on to that to keep my interest. But as I said they both seem so separated from one another that it's hard for me to tell where things are going or to even make me really care. If we were sprinkled with maybe some origins of the Nirvash (I'm convinced there's something more to it, especially since I heard the show goes Eva) or maybe at least a little clip from each character's past, I wouldn't be as harsh and would think that the series is following a similar pacing to GaoGaiGar. But no, instead it's just ep. after ep. of "day in the life" episodes. Those are nice, but seeing them all in a string so early really weighs it down. If these episodes were more spaced out throughout the series then I would probably like them more. Also (although I'm still giving it time) the only character I really care for is Talho. People say the show has a slow start so I'm still gonna watch and give it a chance. Also the LFO's certainly have style so it would be nice to see more of them. Really all I want is a little something to latch onto so I can at least feel that I'm in store for a good story.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, from my understanding the series doesn't really pick up until shortly after episode 10. I haven't seen that far either, of course I'm still enjoying what I've seen of the series so far anyways so it's not a big deal for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:09 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
the show is doing horrible on Adult swim... and i mean REALLY horrible.

Really how do you know, did you find out its ratings? I'd be interested in a link to em if you could. It just surprises me thats all.

Plus it sucks that all the new anime is on saturdays, really doesn't give them a fair chance does it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 20