• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Proposed Forum Poll, inre: fansubbing debate

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evil_dave83

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Idea Was thinking that it might be nice to get some numbers on a couple of the things that have come out of the fansub 'necessity' debate. Two polls spring to mind:

1) Do you think that license and copyright holders for anime should:
A - Pursue legal action against fansubbers who illegally distribute copyrighted anime
B - Pursue legal action against 'bootleggers' who illegally distribute clones or imitations of anime available for puchase (i.e. DVD rips/fakes for sale or download)
C - Both of the above
D - Neither of the above

Do you live in:
A - North America or Japan
B - Rest of the world

2)
A - I would like to able to legally download anime from licensed vendors
B - I am happy with the current methods of distributing anime (TV, DVD purchase/rental)

Do you live in:
A - North America or Japan
B - Rest of the world

I've tried to keep the questions non-emotive and direct. Possible changes include an option in 1 to the effect of "I do not believe that either of these actions would be effective in preventing the illegal distribution of anime" - i.e. a practical reason for not wanting to pursue legal actions. And maybe a change to 2 B to address the purchase of anime, rather than its distribution. Number 2 is what really interests me.

I've suggested asking about location as I think that attitudes might be rather different depending upon where you live, as this affects your ability to access anime and the cost of doing so. Maybe make category B less broad.

Any thoughts or suggested changes? If anyone could knock this up into a button poll that'd be great (I'm technically inept), otherwise I'll post them as threads if there's any interest.

V

Last edited by Evil_dave83 on Sun May 14, 2006 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:47 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Evil_dave83

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Ta muchly. *hits self over head* /thwack/ I will check my sources more thoroughly! /thwack/ *repeats until suitably chastised*

I think 2 might still be worth considering.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1