• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A Few Questions and Comments About Naruto

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DemonDragonJ

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:01 am Reply with quote
I just started watching Naruto not long ago, and I must say that I am very impressed with this series. I have seen up to episode 75 of the anime, and I feel that thus far it is an excellent series with well-developed characters, a great plot, and awesome fight scenes. I particularly enjoy how the fighters in this anime use strategy and skill in their fights, unlike in Dragon Ball Z, where the majority of the fights were won by sheer power alone. My one complaint is that so far, the series seems to be slightly sexist, for the majority of the female characters thus far have not done much fighting or otherwise played a major role in the story (in my opinion, of course).

However, I do have a few questions about this series, and I am hoping that someone here can answer them for me.

1. At what point in the manga do the fillers begin in the anime? Specifically, at what chapter in the manga should I begin to read it after I reach episode 136 of the anime? The reason that I ask this is that I wish to follow both storylines, for I am currently doing the same thing with Bleach.

2. Is there an end in sight yet for the fillers? Because from what I have heard, the fillers are not very good in comparison to the rest of the series.

3. Is there an end in sight yet for the manga? Because it is now over three hundred chapters, although, if the story is still good after that many chapters, I hope that it does not end anytime soon.

4. Were Rock Lee and his teacher, Gai, inspired by real-life martial artist Bruce Lee? Because the resemblance in physical appearance, personality, and fighting style is truly uncanny.

If a topic such as this has been posted before, I apologize. If this topic must be locked, I will not be offended, but I would sincerely appreciate it if my questions (or at least the first question) could be answered before it is locked. Thank you very much.
goins007

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:35 am Reply with quote
Well I can answer a few of those I guess...

I just watched episode 184 and there doesn't seem to be any end with-in sight. And while I'll agree that the show is great they need to get back on the main story.

I also just saw a scan of one of the new mangas out and it showed naruto and sakura meeting the older saske, so it doesn't look like that will be ending anytime soon.

I can't say for 100% (because I don't have a link) but I believe I read on this site somewhere that Rock Lee and his teacher were both indeed based off Bruce Lee...
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Heres a couple more answers for you:

Its pretty obvious that Gai and Rock Lee are based off Bruce Lee. Come on I mean the Lee part plus the hair styles didn't give you the impression that they were definitely based off Bruce? Besides you can also look at their fighting styles. They only use hand to hand which further supports that they are based off Bruce.

There seems to be no end to the fillers ar the moment. A good way to tell this is through the opening animation. If nothing very revealing is shown in the opening animation then you can bet there isn't gonna be anything new.

The manga won't end anytime soon. Theres still alot of story to go through and I believe what goins007 mentioned about them meeting an older Sasuke is refferring to the 3 year jump that the manga is gonna do.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
goins007

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Too true...spoiler[it's after Naruto and Sakura got thru their training and come out way way stronger than when they went in. So now Naruto is supposed to beable to beat even Saske I believe...] I could be wrong though
DemonDragonJ

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I greatly appreciate the feedback that I have received thus far, but I am afraid to say that the most important of my four questions has not yet been answered. All I ask for is a number; the number of the manga chapter where the fillers would begin if they were in the manga, so that I may follow both storylines.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:33 pm Reply with quote
1. When do the fillers begin?

In the anime, 135 is the marker (it's where my friend stopped). After 135 you begin to get into the filler territory. They're ok at first but they begin to steeply decline. As far as the manga, starting on chapter 234 is a good spot. Because you get the aftermath of the previous arc as a nice refresher, and from there it splits off and continues the story.

2. Does it look like the filler will end soon?

Sadly, no. We keep getting strung along, although I will admit most of the speculation has come more from fan rumors as opposed to the actual studio. It started as being a 26 episode arc, but then that suddenly became 50+, and recently everyone thought it was only just a few weeks until Naruto returned to glory. Well that hope was quickly shot down and now everyone is tired of guessing. The reason why people still watch (there are exceptions), from what I've heard is because either they are completionists (like myself) or because the infamous Kakashi Gaiden arc will supposedly occur at some point. A certain group subbing this series has begun to just make ridiculous guesses as to how many weeks are left (which I find quite humorous personally).

3. Will the manga end soon?

As far as I can tell, no. Don't get me wrong, it is going somewhere. But even though I'm behind (I like to wait a little while then gauntlet), from what I have read there is a start stop feel. The story will advance, but then suddenly it seems like things will just halt and start all over. Not only that, but all of the characters are still young. This story could carry on throughout their whole lives if Mr. Kishimoto wanted. Even if Naruto does become Hokage (which he probably will) the show could continue with Naruto acting as Hokage and the challenges he faces after achieving his dream. So while the story is moving (I can't wait for it to FINALLY be animated), I'm not seeing it drawing to a close anytime soon.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm an exclusive reader of the manga, so I'd be happy to answer any questions on that head.

As someone else said, chapter 234 sounds about right, but I can't check since I've deleted most of my scanlations and it'll be years before they get to that point in the American release. Right now, things are definetly moving in an interesting direction, but it's hard to say if it'll end soon or not. I'd say that the manga will go on for at least another 10 volumes, or 2 years. However, I can't really judge properly until the next chapter is released, since spoiler[Sasuke's reappearance is such a major event in the story, and it's up to anyone's guess what direction the story'll take from here.]
Exaar

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:31 am Reply with quote
Regarding the sexist remark: It's true that up to that point in the series, most of the female ninja have been sub-par. But don't worry, that isn't the case forever. Smile

Later in the series (post-ep 75 as you mentioned you were at), a bunch of really strong female ninja get introduced, or ones that have already been introduced get to show what they're made of, including Tsunade, Temari and in Part 2 (which is only represented in the manga thusfar) spoiler[Sakura is incredibly bad-ass. Which was a huge relief to me since all she did was whine and cry for the entirety of Part 1, more or less: it was nice to see her become powerful. Also, one of the members of Akatsuki they fight in part is 2 is female, that being Deidara.]

Plus lets not forget spoiler[Hinata's awesome hand-lasers from the filler!] WHOAMG PEW PEW PEW LASERS
CrockPot

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:11 am Reply with quote
About Deidara, spoiler[I believe he is like Haku. Very pretty, and feminine seeming but male. I don't think any female members of Akatsuki have been introduced...yet.]
Exaar

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Really? Well, I didn't read all the way through that fight, yet. But that would be a surprise on me, I hadn't heard that before. Still, I wouldn't be shocked. Smile
MasterMogul

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:49 pm Reply with quote
The fillers do start at 136, but 142 actually features a bit more manga stuff (nothing all that outstanding, interactions post-major storyline, but it WAS in the manga) before continuing with the filler. I wasn't bored watching the first few filler arcs, but once you reach the 'Curry of Life' arc it struck me as a bad joke carried to ludicrous extremes. Filler arcs after that are hit-and-miss. And if you've watched the entirety of the anime story just pick up the manga at chapter 239, which is where the first material completely unseen in the anime starts.
DemonDragonJ

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Thank you very much for all the feedback, everybody. Everything that you have said here shall prove to be very helpful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1