• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hale Nochi Guu -- when will it ever get licensed?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lyricaldanichan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:40 pm Reply with quote
What is the deal!

One of the best series in 2000's and this is getting overlooked! Come on Bandai USA you gotta released this grand series and it would be a hit on Cartoon Network! We need our Anti-Belldandy! heheh
king_micah

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I preffer Guu swearing and drinking then not. So I don't want it on CN.
But maybe someone will realise that its a good random series with a plot.
JELEINEN

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Actually, the Japanese DVDs are very reasonably priced (for Japanese DVDs), if you really want to see the show legitimately. Just out of curiosity, why does everyone spell "Hare" with an "L"?
Tiresias

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Because the japanese character that gets translated as beginning with an l also gets translated as an r. The actual sound made is more like a combination of the two sounds (r and l). To be brief with it, there is no l or r in Japanese, it's just the closest apporximation that we have in our language.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:17 pm Reply with quote
FYI,

AN Entertainment has reserved the domain name www.jungleguu.com

(I think ANN has already reported this.)

eh?

Pretty suspicious, if you ask me. I'd be watching the con reports.[/b]
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:56 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
FYI,

AN Entertainment has reserved the domain name www.jungleguu.com

We got an e-mail from AN a few days later saying that they do NOT own Guu, just the domain name.

I dunno why people romanize "Hare" as "Hale"..

"Hare" comes from "Hareru" (to become clear/sunny)...
"[url=http://www.dict.org/bin/Dict?Form=Dict2&Database=*&Query=hale]Hale[/url]" is an english word that means "healthy" or "robust"

"jungle wa itsumo hare nochi guu" means, "the jungle was always sunny, and then guu [came along]"

romanizing it as 'hale' just doesn't really make sense. is there another reason for deciding to romanize it that way, other than being a whumpy translator who doesn't know what the english word means?

[EDIT - Updated the e-mail URL. linked the wrong story on accident. :p]

Last edited by cookie on Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:23 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tiresias

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget though, "Hare" is also an animal similar to a rabbit in English. So if you're trying to read the first word in English, it makes no sense either way.
lyricaldanichan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 9:17 pm Reply with quote
king_micah wrote:
I preffer Guu swearing and drinking then not. So I don't want it on CN.
But maybe someone will realise that its a good random series with a plot.

You forgot about Adult Swim! Razz

There is such thigns are reasonably priced dvds in Japan? I thought all DVDs have to be $50-70 Wink ... hehe
lyricaldanichan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 9:20 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Cookie"]
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
FYI,
I dunno why people romanize "Hare" as "Hale"..

"Hare" comes from "Hareru" (to become clear/sunny)...
"[url=http://www.dict.org/bin/Dict?Form=Dict2&Database=*&Query=hale]Hale[/url]" is an english word that means "healthy" or "robust"

"jungle wa itsumo hare nochi guu" means, "the jungle was always sunny, and then guu [came along]"

romanizing it as 'hale' just doesn't really make sense. is there another reason for deciding to romanize it that way, other than being a whumpy translator who doesn't know what the english word means?

Probally because when you hear his name it sounds like Hale, then Hare...
And if you notced Guu's name is shown as Goo.. I think the mangaka intentionally wanted to confuse everybody! ;-D
JELEINEN

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Tiresias wrote:
Because the japanese character that gets translated as beginning with an l also gets translated as an r. The actual sound made is more like a combination of the two sounds (r and l). To be brief with it, there is no l or r in Japanese, it's just the closest apporximation that we have in our language.

Yes. I'm quite aware of the limitations of the Japanese language, thank you. There are certain rules though for spelling Japanese words using latin letters (two main sets of rules, and a few minor ones) all of which spell "ra", "ri", "ru", "re", and "ro" with an "r." Really, though, this is neither here nor there. I will rephrase my question: is there an official source that spells the main character's name with an "L," or is this just some decision made by the digisubbers?
Tiresias

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Not to be snippy here, but the tone of your message screams at me to reply. If there are these "certain rules" for romanizing Japanese characters, then why do many people still use L interchangeably with R? For instance FLCL, I've never seen it romanized as FRCR (not saying people out there havn't done so, I've just never seen it). Now I've never seen the anime in question (something that will be remedied soon I hope) but it's possible the reason they spell it with an L is as lyricaldanichan said, that when they pronounce his name is sounds more like an L than and R, something I'm going to have to take their word on. All I was doing was posting why an L was most liekly used over an R.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Tiresias wrote:
Not to be snippy here, but the tone of your message screams at me to reply. If there are these "certain rules" for romanizing Japanese characters, then why do many people still use L interchangeably with R? For instance FLCL, I've never seen it romanized as FRCR

That's because that's how the Japanese romanized it. (those are the R2 DVDs, btw)

There are several different major styles of romanization, my preference being an un-accented, un-"mb/mp"'ed Hepburn ("Ohayo_u_gozaimasu" and "Shi_np_aishinai...")

there are others (explained here), and times DO change...

but at the same time, I've _never_ seen a romanization style with an L-dan instead of an R-dan.

There, naturally, are variants of those listed there based on personal preference or lack of knowledge about official romanization styles. ANN's Encyclopedia proudly conforms to NONE of them, for all my badgering to follow Hepburn.. :p

Of course, romanizations do change over time (for some 200-odd years Korea was called "Corea"; I have a 1920s history book that still labels it as such, and a quick search of the net reveals a reference as far back as 1768...) but I don't see "L" overtaking "R" anytime soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jazzcat_Meow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, from my understanding, other places, called it "Hare" instead of "Hale". I only see "AC" en-sub translated to "Hale" and that really confused.

The "ハレ" in translating to Chinese has a meaning of "Sunny".

I would prefer to say "Jungle wa itsumo Hare nochi Guu" means "Hare & Guu, always in Jungle".... Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1