• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Need Robotech/Macross help

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fargazer

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Howdy all!

I've only seen bits and pieces of the various Robotech / Macross shows (I can't even identify which, it's that piecemeal), and now that RightStuf is offering a 40% discount on ADV published anime, I figured it might be a good time to purchase the series.

Catch is, which version would you all recommend? Right now I see:
  • Robotech Protoculture Collection
  • Macross, Super Dimension Fortress (ADV recent release)
  • Super Dimensional Fortress Macross (AnimeEgo release)
as well as various other versions. What would you all recommend for someone to watch who's relatively new to the whole Macross / Robotech stories?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number My Anime
Southcross

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 5:20 pm Reply with quote
well... if your attracted to the Robotech series... stick with it! Macross, while its an excelent series is actually a animation "donor" (one of three) for Robotech and has a near completely different story. While both is good...they are not the same!
[imagination]x(Macross+Southern Cross+Mospeada)=Robotech
Robotech/[imagination] != Macross or Southern Cross or Mospeada
Wink
Kouji

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Robotech is an edited dub combination of three completely unrelated anime series (Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada). Personally, I would just stick to the Macross version since I think it's much better than the edited Robotech version, but if you want to see Robotech, the Protoculture boxset is probably your best bet for the entire series. For Macross, which version depends on what you want. If you prefer watching anime dubbed, I recommend getting ADV's recent release of the Macross DVDs, since it contains both the Japanese version and an uncut re-dub. If you don't care about the uncut dub, just go with the Animeigo release instead which is sub-only and you won't have to wait on ADV releasing the rest of Macross on DVD.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 9:23 pm Reply with quote
If you don't care about the Robotech thing and want the whole series now, get the AnimEigo Macross set. Robotech was an American production that used three unrelated shows as source material, but it's pretty clear that the Macross Saga was the most popular of them. If you want to be true to what Macross is, get the set that I mentioned. If you want the American partially re-written, edited, and cut version, go with the Robotech set. If an American company did today what Harmony Gold did with Robotech in the 80s, they would be lynched by the fans.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:46 am Reply with quote
The ADV release is very nicely done. They pack 5 episodes per disc with audio commentary and tons of extras. The translator's notes on the first two discs are really fun. They came up with new translation for the subs which ADV put much thought and effort into. The English is in 5.1, but the Japanese tracks are still mono. The ADV Macross is better in all aspects compared to the AnimeEgo version, although it might cost a little more. ADV's Mospeada box set has a nice transfer, but is subbed only. My friend owns the Mospeada Laser Disc box, which had a much weaker transfer with frame jitter, and film splices. The DVD remaster is well done. I've seen this on sale at Rightstuf for cheap and would recommend it if you decide to buy Macross over Robotech. The ADV Southern Cross transfer is horrible. The colors all seem muddy, and there are times where the pulldown to video is all messed up. I believe it ranks at the very lowest quality for video (and maybe audio) in my entire collection.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1