• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New record / achievement

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Wonder if anyone has noticed... we probably need another language option as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I assume you're referring to the 10,000th title/entry. Razz
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote
ManSlayer07 wrote:
I assume you're referring to the 10,000th title/entry. Razz

I thought that was what it was, but then I looked and the encyclopedia said it only had 9807 titles. I guess that number doesn't include deleted titles.
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I was going off the title ID numbers and I didn't know that titles could be deleted. I actually would love see the tokusatsu titles deleted in favor of actual anime-related titles. Razz
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:21 am Reply with quote
No titles are really "deleted," we tend to weed out the improper ones during the approval process, before they get assigned a number. Although originally we did delete a few.

The more common contributor to the differing numbers is that titles are merged, We occasionally realize, often moments after approving it, that a recently added title is a duplicate, so we merge it with the pre-existing entry.

-t
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:52 am Reply with quote
Like tempest said, most skipped numbers are redirected instead of removed. There are, however, ~20 nonexistent/incorrect titles that can't be either merged or deleted due to some technical reasons, and all we can do is hiding them away. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

A related note is that ANN Encyclopedia normally does not recycle entry numbers so links from other websites wouldn't point to something else. However I do remember a specific case of recycling... Rolling Eyes

ADDENDUM on 6/1: Dang, we've just got another one. Mad Time to write down an SOP for title approval.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1