• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(semi OT) Dogs sniff out Bootleg DVD's.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:16 am Reply with quote
http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/08/fake-dvd-sniffing-dogs/

http://www.netscape.co.uk/technology/9.html?DOGS%20TRAINED%20TO%20SNIFF%20OUT%20FAKE%20DVDS

Quote:
The Federation Against Copyright Theft (FACT) has begun employing two very special black labs for the express purpose of sniffing out pirated DVDs. If it sounds fantastical, think again. The two doggies who volunteered for the job, Lucky and Flo, have already begun sniffing out phony DVDs from packed parcels (the third, Hustle, quit to pursue an acting career as the vicious barking dog in hip hop videos). Never mind the privacy implications for those mailing backup DVDs to themselves (like, when they're moving), this is all about nailing the more nefarious counterfeiting individuals who may soon have to find a better way to move their wares.

This has got to be a joke. I'd expect this sort of lamebrainess with the MPAA......

Looks like Anime Bootlegs will suffer because of this.
Dilandau

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:34 am Reply with quote
=.="

So fedex will be repackaging every box that contains a disc, and confescating many low-grade legal dvd's from other regions. >.>

why don't they just xray everything to death and wipe the media clean? Anime dazed
Anthony P

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:37 am Reply with quote
Mmmmm, yeah, that's all a joke. Really, how could a dog distinguish a bootleg DVD by it's scent?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:51 am Reply with quote
Wow, I didn't know bootlegs carried a scent different to regular DVDs. Too bad Hustle quit, they now have a third more of the DVDs they have to find.
NeonGEvangelion

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:36 am Reply with quote
Hehe, thats pretty funny. Fake DVD sniffing dogs are ridiculous, what will they come up with next.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:59 am Reply with quote
Anthony P wrote:
Mmmmm, yeah, that's all a joke. Really, how could a dog distinguish a bootleg DVD by it's scent?
Yes, I can't think of a way either. Maybe if it doesn't have that new car smell or something. And really why even talk about a third dog and his so called acting interests?
Dilandau wrote:
why don't they just xray everything to death and wipe the media clean?
X-ray machines will not wipe DVDs, even the big ones. VHS on the otherhand I am not sure, I think it may be possible. Does anyone know, its been years since my last physics class in college.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
opaquescum

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:16 pm Reply with quote
On one hand it sounds hilarious, and the first thing that popped into my head was oh this is a scam to scare the less motivated pirates. In other words pure propoganda. This is the principle of deterence create a threat real or fabricated to stop someone from doing something. Like all those retailers that have hundreds of cameras even though a small margin are actually real, and those that are real only have a couple security watching them.

Then I thought well products do carry signatures. Chemical calling cards as it were, and some manufacturers intentionally do put markers in their products. So it is plausible that recordable DVDs do have a different odor then say a manufacturer made DVD, and that would be a means to determine if a product is genuine or not.

So on the face of it this is all plausible. Though I am betting it is smoke and mirrors. Otherwise these guys will be ripping open grandma's photos, or someones legitimate television recording. Now I do not know how people feal about such things in the UK, but being an american I can see certain privacy issues.

Now if I had a package, and I got it, and I saw it to have been tampered with by the carrier. Well I would never use said carrier again, and I do not care how good a dog is. They make mistakes just like people. Plus my privacy has been invaded. I just do not like that. Not that I ever order bootlegs, but if you are tearing through my private stuff well my answer to you is oh yeah. Not going to use you again.

While I agree piracy has to be stopped. This is not the way to go about it. The way to go about it is to change the mindset of the buyers. Honestly if this over security, and snooping actually worked. There wouldn't be a drug problem.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:27 pm Reply with quote
That just gave me a great idea. How about drug dogs that operate under the guise of bootleg sniffing dogs. When an organization is suspected of drug trafficing they send in the dogs and tell the suspects they are just checking to make sure no one is bootlegging. They say no "we're clean, we're just an innocent shipping company" but what they do have is an underground cocaine gig and they get busted. Ha!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1