• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Magical Doremi Uncut?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HanatoYume

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I know 4 Kids has Magical Doremi licesed and they play the dubbed episodes as part of their Saturday morning lineup, but what I wanted to know, is if anybody has any idea if they were planning to release uncut DVD's on the series. I'm not fond of 4 Kids form of dubbing, and I want to see it uncut.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I seriously doubt they would release it uncut. They released episodes of Yu-Gi-Oh uncut on DVD, and they sold horribly. There's just not enough demand for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:01 pm Reply with quote
4Kids already tried releasing their anime uncut by sublicensing to FUNimation to have them release uncut versions of 4Kids series. But due to mutual failings on all sides (lack of product availability, questionable product quality, 4Kids demanding a much bigger share of the profits from FUNimation, and self-righteous anti-4Kids types feeling they deserve the product for free or somecrap and still refusing to buy it), the deal fell through, and 4Kids now has no interest whatsoever in producing uncut releases of their anime licenses.

Shame, really. But to 4Kids' credit, it can at least be said that 9 out of 10 of the anime they license never had a really healthy market for uncut releases anyway. Outside of One Piece and maybe Shaman King, Yu-Gi-Oh!, and Pretty Cure, there really aren't any series that 4Kids own that a healthy fanbase wanted to see licensed and released uncut. It's not like Pokemon or Ultimate Muscle or Kirby's Adventure Land or whatever that one was called really have the sort of fan following outside of the 3-10-year old range that actually warrants a proper uncut, subtitled release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:44 pm Reply with quote
But what may I ask would have been cut? Unless you want to hear japanese voices, that show looks pretty tame enough to leave generally uncut. I haven't seen an episode of it so if there's supposed to be heads exploding and crazy murder parties going on in that series, then tell me now.
HanatoYume

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I want to see it without all the english text and friggin' karaoke dance party at the end...

I could understand that it would probably not sell very well, although it is said to be a very popular mahou shoujo anime. More episodes than Sailormoon, which is a lot.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:56 pm Reply with quote
outlawwolf wrote:
But what may I ask would have been cut? Unless you want to hear japanese voices, that show looks pretty tame enough to leave generally uncut. I haven't seen an episode of it so if there's supposed to be heads exploding and crazy murder parties going on in that series, then tell me now.

Don't you see?! Doremi is actually HARDCORE and MATURE. The version that the Japanese 7 yr. girls watched made Elfin Lied look like Bottle Fairy!!

At least, that's what I gather from some of the comments on the intarwebs.....
Kouji

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:43 am Reply with quote
HanatoYume wrote:
I want to see it without all the english text and friggin' karaoke dance party at the end...
Do you even know Japanese to be able to read the Japanese text at all? And if you don't want to see it with the karaoke dance party at the end, there's a little trick to solving that that I'm going to teach you. Now, pay real close attention here. If you don't want to watch the karaoke dance party at the end of the show, CHANGE THE CHANNEL. 4Kids is not going to release uncut Doremi DVDs. One: They are 4KIDS. They aren't 4Animefans or 4Purists, they are 4Kids. They have expressed numerous times that they don't care about anime fans and although I disagree with their business methods, they aren't going to change their position anytime soon, so why would they release uncut Doremi DVDs?

Two: They did attempt to release uncut Yugioh and Shaman King DVDs in the past, but the DVDs were cancelled. If Shaman King and Yugioh, two of their most popular anime titles had their uncut DVDs cancelled, what makes you think they're going to release uncut Doremi DVDs? Three: Doremi doesn't even have anything significantly altered in its dub to make uncut DVDs even worth it. It'd be like 4Kids trying to sell uncut Pokemon DVDs. Pokemon is far more popular than Doremi is, but how many people out there do you think would actually care to buy uncut Pokemon DVDs?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
-gecko-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:00 am Reply with quote
I could care less, but I hope they release Doremi in some form on DVD. My kids want to watch it and I hate trying to catch it on TV...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HanatoYume

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
HanatoYume wrote:
Do you even know Japanese to be able to read the Japanese text at all? And if you don't want to see it with the karaoke dance party at the end, there's a little trick to solving that that I'm going to teach you. Now, pay real close attention here. If you don't want to watch the karaoke dance party at the end of the show, CHANGE THE CHANNEL. 4Kids is not going to release uncut Doremi DVDs. One: They are 4KIDS. They aren't 4Animefans or 4Purists, they are 4Kids. They have expressed numerous times that they don't care about anime fans and although I disagree with their business methods, they aren't going to change their position anytime soon, so why would they release uncut Doremi DVDs?

Two: They did attempt to release uncut Yugioh and Shaman King DVDs in the past, but the DVDs were cancelled. If Shaman King and Yugioh, two of their most popular anime titles had their uncut DVDs cancelled, what makes you think they're going to release uncut Doremi DVDs? Three: Doremi doesn't even have anything significantly altered in its dub to make uncut DVDs even worth it. It'd be like 4Kids trying to sell uncut Pokemon DVDs. Pokemon is far more popular than Doremi is, but how many people out there do you think would actually care to buy uncut Pokemon DVDs?

Bitter much?

Yeah, thanks for your help everyone
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1