• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Overman King Gainer - 2 characters that I don't understand

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching Overman King Gainer last night.

Firstly we got Meeya Laujin. She's the singer that is introduced in the first episode as some one that works for the Exodus. She is breifly involved in a later episode where she was entertaining the Kizz Munt. Apart from that, she was doing some brief appearances here and there, and that is it.
Did this character have any other role apart from bing some one in the background?

And then there is Princess Ana... appart from looking cute and running all over the place, and volenteering to be held "hostage" by the Exodus, why was she hanging around? And how come her royal family did little to rescue her?
bahamut623

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I got the last volume recently, but I'm not done yet.

Well for Meeya, it just seems like a case of Tomino abandoning a story idea(or at least focusing on it less). In one of the dvds there's an interview with him from before the show premiered, and when he spoke about Meeya, he said spoiler[there would be something mysterious about her. Her age would be ambiguous and the viewer wouldn't really know if she was the same Meeya from back then or just a descendant. I haven't finished so I don't know if they reference that at all. If not, I think Tomino just decided to focus on the Cynthia storyline rather than on Meeya.
Other than that she did serve a purpose in the beginning as one of the 5 wise men(is that what they're called?). And she said she wanted to get to Yapan herself or something IIRC, not really sure, but she said she would meet the Exodus there. I was just watching one of the episodes in the Crystal of Agate, and she seemed to be affected by the music more than the others, so I assume she has some connection to the original Meeya who piloted Brunhilde or something.]
Again I haven't finished, just speculation on my part.

As for Ana, this was explained like halfway through.spoiler[ I think in the episode called "You Can't Steal Tears"(the one where Asuham kidnaps her with that big overman). I'm not sure if it was in the same episode, but there was a scene where she talked to her father over a videophone type thing, and he told her he didn't want to see or speak to her. Gainer thought he was disowning her or something, but Ana was happy because she knew he meant that he wanted her to go on the Exodus and stay away from the Railways influence for when she takes the throne(or something).]

I'm glad I bought the whole series because you made me wanna watch it all over again...but maybe I should finish it first lol Wink

(OT, but the other day I had a dream OKG was turned into a really long shonen type of series...and it was pretty darn cool too)
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:26 am Reply with quote
Thanks for clearning that up.
I should rewatch some of those episodes.
I should stop trying to cram anime in at odd hours too.

bahamut623 wrote:
(OT, but the other day I had a dream OKG was turned into a really long shonen type of series...and it was pretty darn cool too)

Would be nice to see if they did continue on OKG.
spoiler[ Like I would like to see the fall out and power vacuume now that SR is no longer around?

Same with the fall out from Princess Anna's kindom.

I would also like to see Synthia Lane explored a little more too ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1