• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Miyazaki Movies on Toonami starting March 18

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryusaki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Yeah well everyones has been wondering when CN would air the other films. Princess Monomoke,Castle in the Sky,Spirited Away,and Nausicaa. .. 'sept.. Crying or Very sad I hope CN doesn't edit P.M. ... thats my all time favorite Miyazaki film
animeforever'04

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:27 pm Reply with quote
doubt it otherwise Miyazaki won't allow on cartoon network no more
Joe anime

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Hard to beliveve that,they were already shown on tv.
Alucard27

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:35 pm Reply with quote
CN COULDN'T edit Mononoke. Miyazaki-sama would go into the CN building himself and slap everybody there in the face!
Joe anime

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:53 pm Reply with quote
It's true afterall:

http://www.toonamiinfolink.com/
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:36 am Reply with quote
ryusaki wrote:
Yeah well everyones has been wondering when CN would air the other films. Princess Monomoke,Castle in the Sky,Spirited Away,and Nausicaa. .. 'sept.. Crying or Very sad I hope CN doesn't edit P.M. ... thats my all time favorite Miyazaki film

I have to wonder, will some of the less action oriented stuff like Totoro, do good on there?
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:22 am Reply with quote
So all the people whining about Cartoon Network showing live action movies really need to shut their mouths.

They are showing Miyazaki. That makes them #1 in my book.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:26 am Reply with quote
TheVileOne wrote:
So all the people whining about Cartoon Network showing live action movies really need to shut their mouths.

So just because they do one thing right, we're obliged to automatically forgive them for doing something else stupid? Sorry, not working that way. Though I will applaud them for getting pretty much the best that Japanese animated cinema has to offer, I don't see why that should stop me from continuing to be critical of showing live-action movies on a dedicated cartoon channel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:32 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
TheVileOne wrote:

So just because they do one thing right, we're obliged to automatically forgive them for doing something else stupid? Sorry, not working that way. Though I will applaud them for getting pretty much the best that Japanese animated cinema has to offer, I don't see why that should stop me from continuing to be critical of showing live-action movies on a dedicated cartoon channel.

No because they do a million things right. And people only nitpick about them showing a few live action series instead of praising them for the numerous and consistently awesome programming they put on.

Let's see, they helped put Cowboy Bebop on the map in the US, and helped make them a mainstream US phenomenon and one of the best selling and hottest animes ever.

They finally gave audiences Family Guy and Futurama. They put them on a regular schedule where people knew they would be on and actually watch it. Because of this Family Guy and Futurama have both been or are being resurrected from cancellation. Unprecedented in the world of television for a series to be cancelled then brought back into production as it originally was after that. This is ONLY because of Cartoon Network and Adult Swim.

A revolutionary and awesome series in Space Ghost: Coast To Coast.

Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Laboratory, Johnny Bravo, and tons of other great original programming.

Continuned on the legacy of the animated DCU by showing Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS, Batman Beyond, and Justice League.

Showed respect to Brad Bird's The Iron Giant, and showed it in 24 hour marathons.

I could go on and on.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:57 am Reply with quote
You're naming mostly past triumphs, however. Yes, Cartoon Network was an outstanding channel for the timeframe you're mentioning. But within the past couple years they've quickly degenerated in as many ways as they've succeeded in the past. Their variety of programming has dropped severely, and unless you're an absolute night owl who stays up until 4 and 5:00 in the morning, all you're going to see is reruns of Kids Next Door or Juniper Lee. They play almost none of the classic cartoons they used to, or even many of their more contemporary hits from the last twenty years. When was the last time you really saw SWAT Kats, or Batman: The Animated Series, or Jonny Quest? Unless it's something they created within the last three years, you're just about screwed for seeing it. And Adult Swim's become absolutely awful these days with their on-the-fly schedule changes and unbelievably awful new shows (12oz. Mouse, Minoriteam, Squidbillies, I could go on). Just because Cartoon Network was an absolutely brilliant channel in past iterations does not make its current state as worthy of acclaim. The Cartoon Network of the past that you're so highly revering and the Cartoon Network of today are two different things, and it's no contradiction to praise the former and criticize the latter.

And in much the same way, their decision to air live-action movies and their decision to air Ghibli movies are also two separate things, and it's no contradiction for me to continue to disapprove immensely of the former while gladly welcoming the latter as one of their few changes for the better. Therefore, I am not required to blindly forgive them for one thing just because they do something else totally different and totally unrelated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:13 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
You're naming mostly past triumphs, however. Yes, Cartoon Network was an outstanding channel for the timeframe you're mentioning. But within the past couple years they've quickly degenerated in as many ways as they've succeeded in the past. Their variety of programming has dropped severely, and unless you're an absolute night owl who stays up until 4 and 5:00 in the morning, all you're going to see is reruns of Kids Next Door or Juniper Lee. They play almost none of the classic cartoons they used to, or even many of their more contemporary hits from the last twenty years. When was the last time you really saw SWAT Kats, or Batman: The Animated Series, or Jonny Quest? Unless it's something they created within the last three years, you're just about screwed for seeing it. And Adult Swim's become absolutely awful these days with their on-the-fly schedule changes and unbelievably awful new shows (12oz. Mouse, Minoriteam, Squidbillies, I could go on). Just because Cartoon Network was an absolutely brilliant channel in past iterations does not make its current state as worthy of acclaim. The Cartoon Network of the past that you're so highly revering and the Cartoon Network of today are two different things, and it's no contradiction to praise the former and criticize the latter.

I don't see anything wrong with naming past triumphs.

And you are forgetting about great new original shows like Foster's. JLU just started its new season. They have Naruto now. Bobobo is hilarious.

And now they are showing Miyazaki.

Certain shows they used to show a lot are out of rotation. Big deal it happens. A lot of them are now being released on DVD. This is not a big deal to me. If I can watch great new programming as well, I'm fine with it.

As for Adult Swim, they are still showing Ghost In The Shell and Fullmetal Alchemist, two of the best anime of all time. They are actually showing EVA, not a series I'm a big fan of, but its certainly pretty huge and notable.

Also The Venture Brothers which they recently started showing again. That's a fantastic Adult Swim original. And though I'm not a fan of it, what about The Boondock? Another new Adult Swim show, which seems to have taken off pretty well.

Quote:

And in much the same way, their decision to air live-action movies and their decision to air Ghibli movies are also two separate things, and it's no contradiction for me to continue to disapprove immensely of the former while gladly welcoming the latter as one of their few changes for the better. Therefore, I am not required to blindly forgive them for one thing just because they do something else totally different and totally unrelated.

I'm not asking you to blindly forgive anything. I'm asking you to actually see how all the great things they've done and acknowledge them instead of nitpicking over one little thing. And quite frankly, I still don't see a problem with them showing live action movies the way they have. In fact, I'd love it if they eventually showed Kung Fu Hustle or anything by Stephen Chow, though that's probably not in the pipes.

Last edited by TheVileOne on Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:38 am Reply with quote
TheVileOne wrote:
And though I'm not a fan of it, what about The Boondock Saints? Another new Adult Swim show, which seems to have taken off pretty well.

Since when did Adult Swim air the cult classic film about a couple of Irish brothers out for religiously-inspired revenge against the Russian Mafia for closing their favourite bar? Laughing

TheVileOne wrote:
I'm not asking you to blindly forgive anything. I'm asking you to actually see how all the great things they've done and acknowledge them instead of nitpicking over one little thing.

Whooooa, whoa, wait, back it up a tad bit now. Do you honestly think that just because I called fault on one issue that I don't look at the network as a whole? Do you really assume I'm that petty? To be honest, I'm quite offended. Just because I point out a fault because someone else brought that fault up and attacked the people who take issue with it (i.e. you) and I felt the need to defend my own personal stance, does not mean that such is all I see about the network and that I dislike it as a whole purely for that one aspect. It only means that I am addressing the one point that was brought to the table and nothing further. The points you raise are valid, yes. Cartoon Network does do a lot of good things these days, I agree. I still think Cartoon Network isn't nearly as good as it used to be and that there are many points which currently kinda suck about it, but when did I ever actually say that it was a crappy channel overall? When did I ever say I disliked it solely for airing live-action movies?

Next time don't go shoving words in my mouth and assume that my opinion of one issue is my opinion of all related issues. It'll save us both a lot of trouble.
ryusaki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
When was the last time you really saw SWAT Kats, or Batman: The Animated Series, or Jonny Quest?
well,..if its classic stuff i'd say try Boomarnang,but... SWAT Kats plays in the afternoons now
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Because honestly, all I was seeing recently now is moaning and crapping on Cartoon Network for a few live action movies.
Senshi Mizaka

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:26 pm Reply with quote
NyuuChan wrote:
ryusaki wrote:

I have to wonder, will some of the less action oriented stuff like Totoro, do good on there?

I doubt it. Some kids are hard to please.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2