• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tenchi Muyo Help

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aloron

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:54 am Reply with quote
can anyone help me out here .. my friend told me about tenchi muyo and i watched the first ep. for techi goes to toyko and i like it so far ...

but my trouble is i looked in the encyclopedia and there is a shit load of techi stuff ..

my question is does anyone the order in witch to watch all this stuff .. normally the encyclopedia says but this time it doesnt ..

anyone ?? know the order ?? i hope

thanks for the help guys .. will be looking ..
Vortextk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:01 am Reply with quote
There is no "real" order. If you want to watch them in the order they were released..well..

Watch the tenchi ovas. They are releasing new tenchi ovas actually, but theyre just more episodes tacked onto the original.

Then Tenchi Universe, followed by Tenchi in Tokyo. There are three tenchi movies I believe, none are fully based on ANY of the series(not fully), so just take it as "more tenchi". I think the first or second movie can kind of be called sequels to either Universe or the Ovas, but they're not true sequels.

There's also a mihoshi special and a three episode Magic girl special featuring Sasami I think.

The newest series Tenchi Muyo! GXP is Tenchi, but this time takes place in outer space. It seems to be some kind of retelling of the story or something, I'm not positive.

While that was all short answer form, here's a graph to help ya.

Wow, it's HORRIBLY elaborate, but have fun =) http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=rel&aid=337
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:07 am Reply with quote
The first one I would watch is Tenchi Muyo!, I'm not sure which one comes after that.

By the way, not to backseat moderate or anything, but why do a lot of people using this forum not use proper spelling, capitalization, etc. Maybe I'm a tad anal, but it just really bothers me. After all, there is a preview when writing your posts. I use it almost every time I write one. Or am I just being overly critical? I do understand the shorthand (btw, lol) but I just do not understand why all of the rest.
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:12 am Reply with quote
The OVA series, Universe, and Tenchi In Tokyo are three different stories that have basically the same starting point.. GXP is a completely different story with different characters, but still somewhat related to the whole Tenchi thing. You could really watch them in any order that you'd like since they are all different stories, but I would recommend watching the original OVA series first to best familiarize yourself with the characters.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:14 am Reply with quote
There is a rule to use pretty decent grammar, punctuation and spelling...but while it gets enforced, you can hardly change the poster's typing.

From what I've seen, this post is around the middle. Any worse and he'd receive a definite scolding =P. English isn't everyone's first language and age can play a factor but yes, moderators(or in most cases, moderator) do try to clean up the big grammatical messes.(Atleast give warnings)

Anyway...goodluck with tenchi. Most likely, if you find Tenchi in Tokyo interesting at all, you'll like atleast the other two big series: OVAs and Universe. They're pretty much liked more than Tokyo.(ahaha..was going to just use an acronym for tench in tokyo..guess I won't be doing that)
Bosque

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:50 am Reply with quote
Well, as said, there is no "official order" in watching all Tenchi Stuff, but, depending on who of the Tenchi Staff's viewing on the series, there are some different particular orders:

Kajishima, the original creator of Tenchi and the original character designer, doesn't considers the movies as part of the continuity, for him, Tenchi Muyo is: 1st OVA series, 7th OVA, 2nd OVA series, episode 14.5, 3rd OVA series, 20th OVA and next, Tenchi GXP.
That's how he thinks things should be.

Also, there is Hasegawa's point of view (wrote with Kajishima the first OVA's scripts): Tenchi OVAs 1 to 6, Mishoshi Special and, finally, the second Tenchi movie.

Hiroshi Negishi, director of the first TV series, considers the OVAs as the original Tenchi, then T Universe as an altenrative retelling and Tenchi in Tokio (that was what you saw) as a continuation for the first tv series.

I agree, if you liked Tenchi in Tokio (i love that series, but most people hate it) you should like the rest of Tenchi specially the OVAs series, the classic Tenchi OVAs that defined the genre.. ahhh, every one of those episodes is a masterpiece.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
aloron

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:23 pm Reply with quote
ooo ok guys thanks for the help .. guess i will start with the toyko one and go from there ..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1