• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What is the freakiest Anime ever?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmcrunchie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:12 am Reply with quote
I just wanted to know what do you guys think is the freakiest anime ever? I was thinking Hamtaro, Astro Boy reanimated or Ragnarok the Animation. Well, it's up to you guys to tell. Let's start the freaky anime convo!
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:21 am Reply with quote
First off, provide reasons when you throw out a name. Don't just say "i think ragnarok's freaky kthxbye;" provide a legitimate reason for saying so.

Secondly, this is an extremely vague topic to even begin to try and discuss. What is "freaky" in your context? Lots of people use the term "freaky" in numerous ways, from meaning something's scary to hyperactive to very sexual among several other possible and equally likely options, so how do you mean it here? This is especially important given how extremely different and disconnected all of your examples are, relative to each other.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Space_cowboy64

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:39 am Reply with quote
the freakyist anime i've ever seen eyy?

for me its got to be akira because its just completely off the wall and to this very day i still have no idea as to what it was about. i love the art and the way its drawn its got some really really cool characters i like. so really for me its a superb movie but i just dont know why. lol

umm i shall mention a second because i feel like it. another one i really dont understand completely is the beyond episode from the animatrix. its completely werid and i have no idea what its about asides from the matrix i might just look it up now actualy yea.

so to classifiy my two are beyond and akira both because they freak me OUT!

thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Space_cowboy64 wrote:

umm i shall mention a second because i feel like it. another one i really don't understand completely is the beyond episode from the animatrix. its completely werid and i have no idea what its about asides from the matrix i might just look it up now actualy yea.

so to classifiy my two are beyond and akira both because they freak me OUT!

thanks

Well there's nothing complicated about beyond(assuming you've seen the matrix of course). spoiler[ It's just about some kids who stumble upon a house where unexplainable things happen. The house is simply a glitch in the matrix.]
I dunno about freaky, but it's definitely the best short in the Animatrix.
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Space_cowboy64 wrote:
for me its got to be akira because its just completely off the wall and to this very day i still have no idea as to what it was about. i love the art and the way its drawn its got some really really cool characters i like. so really for me its a superb movie but i just don't know why. lol
I found the only way to really understand Akira was to read the books.
mmcrunchie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:04 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Nagisa"]First off, provide reasons when you throw out a name. Don't just say "i think ragnarok's freaky kthxbye;" provide a legitimate reason for saying so.

Secondly, this is an [i]extremely[/i] vague topic to even begin to try and discuss. What is "freaky" in your context? Lots of people use the term "freaky" in numerous ways, from meaning something's scary to hyperactive to very sexual among several other possible and equally likely options, so how do you mean it here? This is especially important given how extremely different and disconnected all of your examples are, relative to each other.[/quote]

First off: You don't have to bag me out the second I write something, considering this is the first forum I have bothered to write on, and I only joined yesterday. I still don't know how the whole system of this thing works.

Secondly: You. Are. A. Dictionary. Freak. I think people who read this title wouldn't think that I mean 'What is the most sexual amoung several people anime ever?' It's most likey they would think it means 'What is the most whacked-out anime ever?'

Did you ever think of that?

Last edited by mmcrunchie on Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
mmcrunchie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:15 pm Reply with quote
For everyone who wants to know my reasons, I shall state them.

Hamtaro: This anime is just about hamsters who run around making the weirdest noises as they go. I still can't believe there are over 200 episodes when I've only seen 21!

Astro Boy reanimation: I hate the fact that my father grew up with the best of Astro Boy animation and I have to grow up with this crappy little remake. I watched a few eps of the old one and thought 'Ok. This is cool.' Watch one episode of the new one and gave up.

Ragnarok the animation: This story line makes little sense in some parts, is too predictable in other bits and is repetative. VERY repetative. If anyone is thinking of watching this, I recommend not to. If anyone watched it and liked it: Sorry for this post but it's all true.
huh?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:29 pm Reply with quote
cat soup is one of the "freakiest" animes i've ever seen. the plot isnt incredibly important, but one cats soul is stolen, so the cat and her younger brother embark on a journey to retrieve it. i find the visuals and the sheer wierdness make this one of freakiest anime out there.

p.s. i reccomend watching this while under the influence of something, and if your too young for that, this anime may be to old for you.
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:45 pm Reply with quote
DEAD LEAVES - A man (with a TV for his head) and a Woman wakes up on a planet with no cloths and no memories. So they start stealing and set sent to jail. The rest of the plot is them escaping. The freaky are part is :-
- What happens to them in jail
- How they escape
- and over all how it's all animated.

http://www.dead-leaves.com/

This show is different[/spoiler]
mmcrunchie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Why does the man with the TV head suddenly remind me of FLCL?
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:20 pm Reply with quote
mmcrunchie wrote:
First off: You don't have to bag me out the second I write something, considering this is the first forum I have bothered to write on, and I only joined yesterday. I still don't know how the whole system of this thing works.

Secondly: You. Are. A. Dictionary. Freak. I think people who read this title wouldn't think that I mean 'What is the most sexual amoung several people anime ever?' It's most likey they would think it means 'What is the most whacked-out anime ever?'

Did you ever think of that?

Nagisa's a moderator, it's his job. It's expected that you read the rules before posting. Nobody ever reads the rules though. It's probably best to lurk for a while before posting so you know how things work around here. That's the best thing to do for almost any internet forum.

Freakiest anime I've seen is probably Hare+Guu. The opening looks like it was done while high. There's a little girl who eats people and has an alternate universe inside her stomach. She also loves stealing chest hair and making afros out of them. Puny Puny Poemi is also pretty crazy and probably more random than Hare+Guu. I should also mention Bobobo and Cat Soup even though I haven't seen them since I've heard they are both extremely wierd.

Edit: I'm also going to add my list here:

Quote:
10 Most Random/Wierdest/Freakiest anime list. By PantsGoblin.

1.Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo should come first on my list. Although I've only seen one episode it is very hard to make sense of any of it. I have to say Excel Saga is funnier though. I think I laughed once while watching Bo-bobo, most of the time I couldn't tell if they were actually trying to be funny or just trying to create the most random thing ever possible. As things stand now, I'd say it is probably the most random anime I have seen.

2.Although not a comedy from what I've heard, Cat Soup has left most people very confused. I haven't seen it so I can't comment on it but I think it deserves a place at #2 since I've heard by many for it to be the wierdest thing they have ever seen. I'll try to watch it so I can add more.

3. Puni Puni Poemy is absolutely crazy and makes Excel Saga look like it somewhat makes sense. The subtitles, they go so fast...

4. The Super Milk-chan Show although extremely wierd, does not rate that high in humor IMO. It certainly is one of the wierdest things I have seen though.

5. Pani Poni Dash! is a pretty new anime but has definatly made its wierd and crazy impression on me. I love the usage of "chibi" arwork in this anime.

6. Excel Saga used to reign supreme as the most random anime ever. Crazier ones have come along though. Excel Saga is still very random and one of the funniest ones. Still the queen of parodies IMO.

7. Hare+Guu is wierd just because of Guu. She's a character that makes zero sense in a world that somewhat makes sense. She eats people and love afros as well as doing many other unexplained things.

8. Di Gi Charat definatly deserves a mention. I felt my brain melting during most of it. Characters sometimes look like they were drawn by a two year old.

9. Another somewhat new anime that is both wierd and random is Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan. Personally I found this one extremely funny. A cute little angel... who brutally beats people to death.

10. I would have rated Nurse Witch Komugi higher if the first two episodes were a little more random. The third, forth, and fifth episodes though are just about as random (if not more) than anything Excel Saga can throw at you.

Honorable mentions would include Azumanga Daioh, FLCL, Galaxy Angel, Ippatsu Kiki Musume, Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, Ninja Nonsense, and Oruchuban Ebichu. Also I've heard the anime Pugyuru is very wierd but I haven't seen it and know almost nothing about it so I can't rate it.

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Dr. Charlatan, M.D.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Dead Leaves - half the movie I didn't know what was going on.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:44 am Reply with quote
mmcrunchie wrote:
Why does the man with the TV head suddenly remind me of FLCL?

A lot of FLCL's staff worked on Dead Leaves too.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:37 am Reply with quote
mmcrunchie wrote:

And reading the forum rules for a clue never crossed your mind?

Also, it's not wise to give staff attitude when they're simply giving you pointers on how to make your topics more accessible to dicussion. I was not being mean-spirited when I told you your wording was vague, I was merely being straightforward. There is no need to go ballistic over that. At all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Shin! Getter Robo AKA Getter Robo Armageddon.

All of the "logic" and "coherency" has already been thrown out the window, but when the last episode involves cutting Jupiter in half with a giant axe-blade... Thank God for Go Naga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2