• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why do people find these things to be so disturbing?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DemonDragonJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:55 am Reply with quote
The question in the title of this thread stems from curiosity, not ignorance. The "things" that I refer to in the title are incest and pedophilia, and although they do not strictly pretain to anime, they occur frequently enough in anime to make this topic relevant on these boards. Now, if such a topic will get me into trouble on these boards, I apologize, but I am merely seeking an answer to a question.

It seems that no matter where I go or who I ask, these sexual practices are considered to be taboo and disgusting. I am not saying that I am fond of such practices, but I simply do not understand why people find them to be so revolting.

So, can anyone offer asistance in this matter? I would much appreciate it. Thank you.
Urb'

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:07 am Reply with quote
Incest is deemed by the society to be wrong, most cultures only believe incest is with blood, where as other believe it is only within the immediate family.. This could date back to myth, where you would have a deformed baby, and so deemed irresponsible. but there is actually a 0.5% of that happening.. well i think it had a 5 somewhere in it but its slim.. Wether i find this revolting or not, i cant say because i dont fancy my sister, so i have no argument.

Paedophillia is morally wrong, although the society/culture dictates the age groups, the majority of people seem it somewhat undesirable/abusive and putting a child in a situation they know nothing about..

What i like to ask is.. why dont you see them as revolting.. do you see them as acceptable?

Last edited by Urb' on Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Luminal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:09 am Reply with quote
Urb' wrote:
What i like to ask is.. why don't you see them as revolting.. do you see them as acceptable?

Yes, why aren't you revolted by pedophilia or incest? They are aberrations of society.

Luminal
Azathrael

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:35 am Reply with quote
Do you really need someone to tell you the reasons why pedophilia and incest are disgusting? Are you not human? I find it incredibly more "curious" that you need to ask such a question as "why". I mean, I've seen my share of both in anime and still I've never had the desire to do either. Isn't that normal?

Incest is the universal taboo. It's not a matter of cultural difference or any of that stupid shit as an excuse. It's forbidden anywhere on this planet.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:38 am Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:

Incest is the universal taboo. It's not a matter of cultural difference or any of that stupid shit as an excuse. It's forbidden anywhere on this planet.

I don't think it's universal. It may be universal among 'civilized' cultures, but I'm postive there are cultures that accept it if not outright condoning it. In addition, exactly what consitutes 'incest' varies in cultures. In the U.S., marrying or having sex with your cousin would be incest, but in Japan it would be perfectly fine.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:42 am Reply with quote
Luminal wrote:
Yes, why aren't you revolted by pedophilia or incest? They are aberrations of society.

That's true, but you're making the very big assumption that everything "society" stands for is good and right. I get pretty revolted by "society" sometimes, what makes "society" the arbiter of what's right and what's wrong?

This is the zillionth thread on the same subject anyway, why not use the search function and read some of the previous threads to find out what peoples' opinions are?

First-cousin sex is only considered incest in parts of the USA and hardly anywhere else. Also, in some societies incest was not forbidden, for example, it was the norm in the Hawaian royal families.
CyberViper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I don't beleive incest is universally unacceptable. It varies between cultures and times. Incest can be used to keep blood in a family pure and from spreading around. For example, a royal family isn't going to allow their offspring to marry anyone who isn't royal. However, the royal family must live on, so the brother marries the sister and continues the family. There are some people out there who live with their sisters/brothers throughout their school days and puberty, and imagine if they went to a high school were there were no girls/boys? If they had no contact with the opposite sex except their family it might just inherent instinct to be attracted to any female/male, regardless, due to puberty. I think that's just natural human instinct.

Me and my friends think that it's on par with men finding boobs so awesome. I mean...come on...what is so great about breasts? What's so great about your own sister/brother? I think it's just inherent instinct that manifests itself due to that persons upbringing and environment, as it doesn't occur with everyone.

I think Pedophilia is a different sort of problem. I think this is more genetic and environmental. I would imagine that many people who had been abused as a child could then become someone who also has the same feeling for children. Also, besides the nurturing aspect of it, there is the genetic aspect. Something like this (I have no idea if it's been proven or not in this particular case) can be attributed to someones predisposed genes. This is just a part of someones brain that says tells them that they find children sexually attractive. I don't think they sit down and suddenly decide "hmm, I think i'll become a pedophile." I think it's more of something in their head that they can't turn off, and is probably the same kind of feeling as being hungry or tired. It's just a mental malfunction that infiltrates their mind and they can't get rid of it.

I don't know if I find incest or pedophilia disturbing, but rather I feel bad for these people who can't control themselves. To me, it isn't their fault that they feel this way, but it is their fault for acting on it, so I can't do anything but pity them, rather than find them disgusting.

Keep in mind, pedophilia wasn't a problem at all in the ancient world in Greece and Rome. This is more of a modern society problem. Children in the ancient world would marry between 10-12 years old. A lot of people, including emperors, in the ancient world would have sex with young boys and girls.

People find it disturbing because society tells them it's disturbing. That's how they were raised. Is it wrong? Ask yourself what the meaning of the word wrong is. Don't look it up in a dictionary, but rather what definition would you think of when you hear the word 'wrong'? It's like asking "Is adultery wrong?" Then think about how many cheat on their wives or husbands. Think about whether you've ever cheated on your boyfriend/girlfriend, or been with someone who you knew was cheating on theirs...
Now, do you find adultery disgusting?

I don't know, maybe I just have such a different view on all of this than most people. I don't think these things are wrong or disgusting. I just think they happen because of irresponsible people who can't control themselves, and the only reason we see them as being wrong is because of modern society telling us they are wrong.

That's just me and my warped mind.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I would have to say that the two are rather on different levels. The key really is consent here. Incest can and often is consensual, hence I personally find it perfectly acceptable under those conditions. Pedophilia however (and no, liking a teenager is not pedo, we are talking 12 and under here, in other words a child that has not yet begun sexual development) is never really consensual since its usually abuse of an adult's power or manipulation of a child too young to understand and hence unable to consent. This is the part that makes it wrong and reprehensible since any action that one person forces unto another is unnaceptable.
inuyasha1357

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Angel Sanctuary, would be a good example and to tell the truth i dont mind a bit, and i have no real opinion on it...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Gauss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:43 pm Reply with quote
There are also strong sociological reasons for the taboo. Every culture has rules governing sex, and expecially strict rules on incest. This isn't because there's a small puritan in all of us, but because everybody recognises that rules for governing relationships are necessary. The rules may differ from place to place but incest always breaks some of them. From a purely materialistic perspective we can consider the chances of deformed babies, or the reduced marriage prospects that comes with the loss of virginity and the creation of a family scandal.

In modern western society all that might seem a bit quaint, since we place so much emphasis on personal choice and wellbeing, have easy access to effective contraceptives and can even screen babies in the womb. But instead we increasingly recognize the reality that incest usually creates deep psychological traumas (and pedophilia too for that matter). It's all too easy to use a dominant position within the family to force sex with a relative. This scars people for life. Now, some might argue that this shouldn't be a problem in voluntary relationships truly based on love. Perhaps not, but how do we distinguish between a couple in love, and a couple where one partner forces the other to keep up an outward appearance of love?

The law certainly recognizes the risks involved and for that reason alone I feel that it is perfectly within its sphere of influence to forbid incest (and pedophilia). It already forbids and regulates matters where the risks involved are much smaller. Likewise, I don't see why we should fault society for erecting taboos around such a difficult matter.

As an aside, in the few societies that allow incest within a family it's almost always only allowed between siblings. Presumably this is because the siblings are relatively level in standing and the parents can act as a controlling influence. Among ruling families there was the additional reason that they were top dogs and had a much reduced need for marriage alliances (alliances that could also create unwanted pretenders). Of course, with so much power at stake the infighting between siblings were very nasty and all too often deadly.
DemonDragonJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Luminal wrote:
Urb' wrote:
What i like to ask is.. why don't you see them as revolting.. do you see them as acceptable?

Luminal

To me, these things are merely another form of sexual activity, no different from any other current sexual practice. While I do not find them revolting, I do not automatically favor incest or pedophilia over other forms of sexual acivity. To be more specific, I would not automatically be more attracted to a child and/or a blood relative than a person around my age (17-21) who is not a relative. It seems to me that everyone here is awfully close-minded (no offense intended) if you are so quick to label incest and pedophilia as morally wrong. And in response to your question, Azathrael, I am perfectly human, I merely have a different worldview than you.
jousha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I think part of it stems from the fact that this country was formed from a religious group; even though a lot of people nowadays aren't Christian, they still formed certain beliefs such as these due to the culture they were placed in. All in all, there's probably many factors that joined together for this result.

By speculating, I think it's possible that young marriage is forbidden now because a lot of the focus on decision-making, freedom, and adult status. A controversy showing this evolving focus is the age argument of drinking and becoming a soldier ("If I'm able to die for my country at 18, why can't I drink at that age?").
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:34 pm Reply with quote
DemonDragonJ wrote:
Luminal wrote:
Urb' wrote:

Luminal

To me, these things are merely another form of sexual activity, no different from any other current sexual practice. While I do not find them revolting, I do not automatically favor incest or pedophilia over other forms of sexual acivity. To be more specific, I would not automatically be more attracted to a child and/or a blood relative than a person around my age (17-21) who is not a relative. It seems to me that everyone here is awfully close-minded (no offense intended) if you are so quick to label incest and pedophilia as morally wrong. And in response to your question, Azathrael, I am perfectly human, I merely have a different worldview than you.

No one is "quickly labelling incest and pedophilia as morally wrong," they are just telling you that society IN GENERAL has labelled these things as morally wrong, and it's been that way for thousands of years. Also, you don't have to be closed-minded to think that pedophilia and the like is disgusting. As a tamer example, I think brussel sprouts are disgusting. Am I closed minded? No, I just don't like them.

Personally, I've never given incest much thought, so I don't really care about it either way, but I do believe pedophilia is wrong and can't just be another normal form of sexual activity, because I'm of the mind that sexual activity should be solely consensual, and children are incapable of consenting. I think Pleroma explained this point well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:39 pm Reply with quote
My thoughts on incest...................people usually assume sex is involved with this but take time to think on this........situation coming up: Brother and sister grow up togther with abusive parents finding that they only would care for each other. As they grow older they develop romantic feelings for each yet know that they can't physicaly be together (i.e sex) yet still form a relationship of love (not brotherly to sisterly love) but love for each other like any other person would have for the person they would love. Would society still deem this wrong or not? I at the moment have no answer but its an interesting thing to think about.

Pedophilla..............depends what age would the child be? Let me make my point in the middle ages when people didn't live as long as we did young people had sex early so that they could produce young and healthy offspring as people lived up to average age of lets say mid 40s? Anyways if thats still considered pedophilla back then, then what do we consider pedophilla? Sex with a child age 10 years or younger or 16 and under?

That aside no one here has mentioned anything in anime which is what this forum is about. Its ok to talk about topics like this but its better to include some anime material that deals with the topic at hand. Thats it for me because I am backseat moderating again. Gotta get rid of this habit of mine.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
DemonDragonJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I surrender. It seems that the response to this topic is overwhelmingly against me. I apologize for starting this stupid topic, and ask if this thread can be locked and then deleted.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6