• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Russian in Wolf's Rain

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lapsus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I recently started to watch Wolf's Rain and I couldn't miss the russian language referances in this anime. As far as I got, computer interface language and a "caution mines ahead" sign was written in Cyrillics (maybe it is not russian, since some other eastern - Europe countries use Cyrillics).

So I wondered, WHY is this so? At first I assumed that probably creators are russian, but none of the names in the encyclopedia seem russian to me. Laughing
Then maybe russian is used, because the story is taking place in modern Russia? Is this relevant to the story itself or is it just something to implement "Atmosphere" Question

If You know about this russian language thing - please explain me Confused

Note: Russian is my 2nd language, so don't bother translating anything (and Eng is my 3rd)
Arkard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:21 pm Reply with quote
After finishing the series (twice actually) I can safely say that the russian used in Wolf`s Rain serves no greater purpose. At least to my knowledge. I guess it`s just there to built the climate of mystery and "teh apocalypse"...
Lapsus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that is what I figured too, but some reviews I read claimet that the world of WR isn't "pot-apocalyptic" or "post-3rd World War". It's just that the world has grown old and the 2nd ice age is coming..
So why do all the cities lie in ruin and why do scrapped war robots run rampant in these ruins? Laughing

Kinda desinformed is me.
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:45 pm Reply with quote
In the first episode, Quent's wallet is shown, and it's all in Russian as well.

None of the non-wolf charater's names seem to be very "Russian" though (at least to my knowledge). I shall have to look into this...
Arkard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So why do all the cities lie in ruin and why do scrapped war robots run rampant in these ruins?

Well my theory is:
spoiler[The world in WR runs in cycles. The world is born, and all the characters are born into it. They try to find Paradise but they ALWAYS fail. The world Resets, the world is born a new, the characters are born again, go on to find Paradise, FAIL (always) and then again, and again and again...] Well you get the idea.
spoiler[When the anime starts the world is probably very close to the Reset. I guess finding Paradise would cancel it, bringing Paradise onto the Wolfs and the Humans. Maybe Humans would remember they were once Wolfs?] This is for you to decide. This is only one of many theories.
Lapsus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Arkard wrote:
Quote:
So why do all the cities lie in ruin and why do scrapped war robots run rampant in these ruins?

Well my theory is:
spoiler[The world in WR runs in cycles. The world is born, and all the characters are born into it. They try to find Paradise but they ALWAYS fail. The world Resets, the world is born a new, the characters are born again, go on to find Paradise, FAIL (always) and then again, and again and again...] Well you get the idea.
spoiler[When the anime starts the world is probably very close to the Reset. I guess finding Paradise would cancel it, bringing Paradise onto the Wolfs and the Humans. Maybe Humans would remember they were once Wolfs?] This is for you to decide. This is only one of many theories.

WoW.. I haven't seen so much of WR to come up with something like that, but TNX for the idea, now I will know what to look for in WR Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1