• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Characters emotions

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Villhelmya

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Today i just brought helising and noir's 1st dvd's. I couldnt help notice a distinct lack of character emotion from both. Not so much in noir ( however sometimes i couldnt belive her tears and lonlines). But helsing lack of emotion was terrible, especialy victoria her face hadnt changed atall when
1.met a undead enemy which she probaly had no knoledge of existance
2.saw all of her mates die
3.saw all of her mated live again and try to kill her
4.saw a telaporting maniac sclise through a woman
5. and final being held by a bloodsucking preist

This hapened throughout the other 2 episodes too, and it completly unmoved me, i'm not saying helising was bad, infact i will buy the other dvd's but you just cant relate to the characters feelings (sounds wimpy but it's all subconcously why we think a anime is truly amazing).

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about the anime's i described or had any emotionless anime to disscuss, or on the other hand have a truly moving peice (e.g grave of the fireflys) to redeem the others?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:30 pm Reply with quote
With Noir, Mireille and Kirika are hired assassins, and Kirika has select issues of her own, so I think that not displaying emotions is the name of the game for them.

I never really thought about that in Hellsing; maybe Victoria was just in so much shock through all of it that she couldn't react. I thought there was some reaction early on, when she was talking about, "I don't want them to keep calling me 'kitten' forever

If you want lists of more shows with emotional content, read through these two posts:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17636
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7866

often, but not always, emotional reaction in the viewer is keyed to emotions displayed by the characters, so threads like these or the "Most Memorable Death" thread that's currently running should provide some good ideas.
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen the Hellsing anime, but in Noir I think the emotions (or relative lack thereof) fits really well into the mood of the piece. Besides, they open up a little more (especially Merielle) as the series goes on
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Villhelmya

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Besides, they open up a little more (especially Merielle) as the series goes on

thats good ,as with other anime, when a character opens up slowly over a period of time, it just captivates me and i cant stop watching. Then everything else around me becomes insignificant. thats when you know youve found somthing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1