• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NGE question

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edensin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I've recently acquired the Neon Genesis Evangelion movies (both of them) and all the episodes to the anime. To get the most out of the story, Which should I watch first?
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, the order it's supposed to go in is the TV series first then "Death and Rebirth" and finally "End of Evangelion". If you want to though you can skip "Death and Rebirth" since all it is is a recap and the new footage that is in it is also in "End of Evangelion". "End of Evangelion" is an alternate ending to the TV series and many people (including me) consider it to be the true ending to Eva.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:36 pm Reply with quote
What PantsGoblin said is pretty much accurate, except it depends which release of the TV series you got. If you have the newer Platinum version, then you can easily skip Death & Rebirth. If you got the original release, without the 4 Director's Cut eps, then there is actually some information in Death & Rebirth that it might be interesting to see.

PantsGoblin wrote:
"End of Evangelion" is an alternate ending to the TV series and many people (including me) consider it to be the true ending to Eva.

How can one be more true then the other since the same events occur in both?
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:
"End of Evangelion" is an alternate ending to the TV series and many people (including me) consider it to be the true ending to Eva.

How can one be more true then the other since the same events occur in both?

What I meant by true is that the TV ending doesn't ever physically show what's going on while "End of Eva" does. They're both as confusing as hell IMO but "End of Eva" is a little more focused on reality. I guess the more "proper" ending would have been better to say.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:15 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:

What I meant by true is that the TV ending doesn't ever physically show what's going on while "End of Eva" does.

I get what you were saying now. Yeah, that's pretty much it.
daxomni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the series... until the very end. I also tried to watch the two movies but I just couldn't get back into it by that point.

The end of the series was just a too odd and didn't match up well with the rest of the episodes. Eva is by no means the only anime series to have an ambiguous, almost unexplainable ending, but it's quite possibly the best such example. For someone like me, who isn't very spiritual and who doesn't put much faith or value in spirituality, the draw of Eva was more about the incredibly pessimistic dystopian setting that meshed reasonably well with my own long-held views. I have no specific attraction to enormous mechanical fighting machines or to vague spiritual riddles, but I accepted these elements in order to follow the rather unique plot and relatively interesting characters.

Then when I came to the ending it was just so...unconnected. I didn't feel like I was getting a 'bad' ending, per se, I felt like I wasn't really getting any ending at all. By the time the movies came out, I just couldn't bring myself to care enough to wrap my mind around the ever more twisted and fractured symbolism. I remember that a friend who watched most of it with me seemed to understand much of it, but I just found myself generally lost and confused toward the end.
Edensin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I do have the directors cut for the last four episodes...but I will also watch the Death and Rebirth movie for the sake of watching it lol

And thanks everyone for answering my uestion, it was really helpful.
gamemaster5552

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:46 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Well, the order it's supposed to go in is the TV series first then "Death and Rebirth" and finally "End of Evangelion". If you want to though you can skip "Death and Rebirth" since all it is is a recap and the new footage that is in it is also in "End of Evangelion". "End of Evangelion" is an alternate ending to the TV series and many people (including me) consider it to be the true ending to Eva.

I agree with hime watch the show first then Death and Rebirth and then End of Eva. I also just recently bought the collection and movies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1