• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Question regarding standardization of release listings

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klarthailerion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Maybe not so much a question as a suggestion, and then not so much of a suggestion as a comment, but anyway...

When viewing the Related Releases for a specific encyclopedia entry, the various releases sometimes don't seem to follow any kind of naming convention. I'd always just taken this as a quirk of a site of this size, but now that I started messing with the My Anime feature, it's more of a noticeable issue.

Take Maison Ikkoku (TV) as an easy example (or look at the entries for Ranma ½ (TV) for a more complex example). The series is being released by Viz in Hybrid DVD Box Sets split up by seasons. The release entry for the first, second, and third seasons read as "Maison Ikkoku - Box Set 1 (DVD 1)", "Maison Ikkoku - Box Set 2 (DVD)", and "Maison Ikkoku - DVD Box Set 3 (DVD 3)", respectively. The release entries for seasons 4, 5, and 7 are structured in the same format as season 3, but the entry for season 6 reads as "Maison Ikkoku - (DVD 6)".

It's not that big a deal to not have the releases in order on the encyclopedia entry page (in this case, anyway), but the non-standarized naming convention does throw it all out of order in the My Anime listings. Maybe I'm just too OC, but it'd be nice if all the entries in My Collection would line up in order, and all that.

So, what to do? Do y'all have plans for eventually standardizing the naming conventions for releases? And is this the type of thing that you would normally have users submit error reports for, or would it be something that you'd just as soon not touch? I help maintain a fairly large video game database that takes user input, so I know where y'all are coming from if you can't get to every little thing. It'd just be nice if there were more standardization for the release listings, so all the titles would line up in a nicer, neater row.

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1