• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Samurai 7 to air on IFC and VOOM Network's Animania

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I just got the latest anime insider and it says that Samurai 7 is going to air on both channels. It will debut on Animania on March 1 while it'll appear on IFC a month later.

I loved "7 Samurai" and it's american remake "The Magnificent 7" so I'm going to check this out.
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:20 am Reply with quote
I think that's kind of lame. I wish it was being shown on Cartoon Network where it belongs. I'll probably never know when IFC shows it.

Would IFC show the English version or the Japanese version? I wonder why IFC would even be shown in presenting it, seeing as to how its only based on Kurosawa and is very different from the original movie.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:31 am Reply with quote
as in the "Independent Film Channel"? what the hell?

that is the weirdest thing i have ever heard.

Last edited by v1cious on Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Annie_Jr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:34 am Reply with quote
The IFC I have is the "Independent Film Channel" and I don't really think Samurai 7 fits in that category.
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:53 am Reply with quote
IFC, in the past, has aired anime, like MD Geist in English dub. So is IFC new to anime, no. Well it start up again, maybe. It looks like they are going after the young adult fanboy type in the last couple of months.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I'd rather Samurai 7 be shown on Cartoon Network though.
apbt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:29 pm Reply with quote
It probably will not be edited on IFC, so why would you choose it over CN? Besides, IFC shows samurai movies . I wish they would show the Zatoichi movies again instead of seeing the same movies all the time. They ran the Zatoichi series only once.
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:59 pm Reply with quote
apbt wrote:
It probably will not be edited on IFC, so why would you choose it over CN? Besides, IFC shows samurai movies . I wish they would show the Zatoichi movies again instead of seeing the same movies all the time. They ran the Zatoichi series only once.

So what?

I doubt it would be edited on Cartoon Network because Adult Swim shows are edited very little if at all.

I've watched all of Samurai 7, it could get by on Adult Swim with no edits at all.
rebelofbloodlust

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:36 am Reply with quote
I remember IFC showing older Japanese samurai films (such as the Samurai Trilogy, starring Mifune Toshiro), but I don't remember them showing Anime before...

Besides, I don't want Samurai 7on the air if they're going to broadcast that horrible English dub - Funimation rarely makes Dubs that are half-decent - this one is just atrocious.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:27 am Reply with quote
rebelofbloodlust wrote:
I remember IFC showing older Japanese samurai films (such as the Samurai Trilogy, starring Mifune Toshiro), but I don't remember them showing Anime before...

Besides, I don't want Samurai 7on the air if they're going to broadcast that horrible English dub - Funimation rarely makes Dubs that are half-decent - this one is just atrocious.

Well Samurai 7 is not a samurai film. Its a 26 episode half hour series.

Also, Funimation has produced quality dubs. Such as Blue Gender, Fruits Basket, Fullmetal Alchemist, Kiddy Grade, YuYu Hakusho, and Kodocha.

I wouldn't call the English version of Samurai 7 atrocious either.
rebelofbloodlust

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:04 pm Reply with quote
TheVileOne wrote:

Well Samurai 7 is not a samurai film. Its a 26 episode half hour series.

Also, Funimation has produced quality dubs. Such as Blue Gender, Fruits Basket, Fullmetal Alchemist, Kiddy Grade, YuYu Hakusho, and Kodocha.

I wouldn't call the English version of Samurai 7 atrocious either.

Yes, thank you - I didn't know Samurai 7 was an Anime - even after I bought the first 3 L.E. volumes, watched the first 12 episodes, and talked about it on an ANIME website - I was VERY confused (-end sarcasm-)

You do make a good point - however, shows like Blue Gender, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Kiddy Grade are hardly comparable to Samurai 7 in terms of which is more Japanese - for example, something as simple as names - names like Kikuchiyo, Katsushiro, and Shichiroji sound correct in Japanese - not as Western as "Edward" and "Alphonse" (Fullmetal Alchemist). If Kurosawa's original masterpiece (and all of his films, for that matter) was not dubbed, I believe this modern re-telling should not be either.

I would - it's my opinion - you don't have to agree with it. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:55 pm Reply with quote
This isn't Kurosawa's though. Its just another adaptation or re-telling like The Magnificent Seven or A Bug's Life.
RezSav

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I have to give props to the IFC for turning me onto Kevin Smith's "Clerks"
rebelofbloodlust

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:10 pm Reply with quote
TheVileOne wrote:
This isn't Kurosawa's though. Its just another adaptation or re-telling like The Magnificent Seven or A Bug's Life.

It isn't Kurosawa's, yet his name is plastered on just about everything related to the Anime. If you go out and buy a DVD right now, it will say "Akira Kurosawa's Samurai 7". Since he was the creator, and if he were still alive today, he would have had to give his permission for them to use his name. Disney didn't acknowledge Kurosawa at all, and Magnificent Seven mentions him in the full credit list only once - not to mention, this is the first Japanese attempt at re-making one of their most cherished pieces of art. Not to mention, nearly all of the original character's names and personalities are identical to the film - this anime is truly a re-telling, while Bug's Life and Magnificent Seven are just adaptations (nothing taken except the original plot) - there's a difference, see.
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:46 am Reply with quote
Its a pretty liberal re-telling considering there are entire events in the series that never happened in the original movie. I'd still call it an adaptation.

The Magnificent Seven and Bug's Life were more faithful to the actual story in that respect.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2