• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Christmas shopping for anime

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Satch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Chritmas is almost here and as tradition goes for me i have to get a couple good anime series. usually i just brouse the sites... but that takes a long time and some input from others would be superb.
SO if you would be so kind to give suggestions as to what anime i should get, that would be greatly appriciated.
heres my top 10 anime (no perticular order) so you know what anime i dig.
1)Cowboy Bebop
2)Nadesico
3)Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi
4)Samurai Champloo
5)Hellsing
6)Neon Genesis
7)Golden Boy
8)Trigun
9)Jin-Roh
10)Totoro/Princess Mononke

Thanks for all your help!
Neclord516

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:31 pm Reply with quote
It looks like you like some good action animes with a deep story such as Trigun so I would suggest Berserk. The characters are very deep and the action is very well choreographed. This anime is my favorite anime next to Hajime no Ippo. The only problem I had with Berserk was the ending was very sudden and didn't wrap up some of the plotholes. I personally think you should skip the first episode and watch the whole series through then come back and watch the first episode, I found it really helps the understanding of the story.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Satch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I've heard good things about that series. I'll defiently check it out. Thanks for the feed back.
Also, I've been doing a little looking around and i was wondering what you guys think of Elfen Lied and/or Fushigi Yugi.
birgritte

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I would try Wolf's Rain and Last Exile. Also if you're a Miyazaki fan, check out some of his other work. My favorite would definitely be Nausicaa.

But if you really want to be blown away with a fantastic epic anime series, I would also recommend Berserk. One of the BEST animes. Ever. It's certainly up there with Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo (other series which are my personal favorites).
Satch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Yeah i have Last Exile and i really enjoy it... its probley got some of best animimation I've seen for awhile(something about the eyes... anyways).
As for Wolfs Rain, i watched a couple episodes on adult swim but since it was in the middle of the series i didn't really follow so that gives me a bias outlook towards it. Also i made me be like "nooooooo!!! its got cowboy bebop animation but no cowboy bebop!"... sorry i love cowboy bebop.
Alright so im defiently getting Berserk! Nice! One down, how ever many more i feel like to go.

PS - Im sick right now with nothing better to do but check this topic every five seconds so yeah... fun fun fun.... wow im lame.
birgritte

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The only problem I had with Berserk was the ending was very sudden and didn't wrap up some of the plotholes. I personally think you should skip the first episode and watch the whole series through then come back and watch the first episode, I found it really helps the understanding of the story.

Actually, I'll have to disagree with Neclord on this. I liked the fact that the first episode is placed in its position in the series. Sure, you don't understand half of what's going on during the first episode, but that the whole point! (Rest assured that the rest of the episode are well written and not confusing in the least.) You're meant to discover the complexity of the story and characters once you watch the whole series. THEN you can rewatch the first episode and daydream about a second season Very Happy (since there is SO much still to be told -- the anime only covers about 1/3 of the manga).

In regards to the "sudden ending," I thought it was perfect in a way and only made me more interested in the rest of the Berserk storyline [see manga].

Also, a little purchasing tip. If you rent Berserk and decide you love it (which I am sure you will) I found that the best place to purchase the whole series is at Best Buy. I got my Berserk brick DVD set for under $60. Definitely a bargain.
It's well worth it. There are some great extras -- interview with the creator,Kentaro Miura, sketches and best of all . . . hiLARious outtakes of the English dubbing. However, I ALWAYS watch anime with subs since I usually can't stand English voiceovers. But the English dubbing outtakes are so funny that you'll find yourself laughing till you cry. Quite a nice comic relief since Berserk is a very dark and serious anime.

Anyway, happy holidays and enjoy Berserk!

Last edited by birgritte on Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
cerealkilllerr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:01 am Reply with quote
if you're a fan of Samurai Champloo, then check out Ninja Scroll. its a great ninja(obviously) adventure, with a lot of great action sequences.

and a little nostalgic pleasure of mine is YuYu Hakusho. it was one of the first animes i had ever seen.

also along the lines of samuria, look at Ruroni Kenshin (not sure how to spell it) it is pretty deep.
Satch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:31 pm Reply with quote
i own the ninja scroll movie but I've never seen the series. i've heard mixed review about the series but i like the movie alot.
As for Ruroni Kenshin I've heard a lot of good things about it but im not a huge fan of ginormous anime series.
Lastly for YuYu Hakusho... i watched that a couple of time and thought it out to be ok but not something i wanna pay for.
Ruri-chan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:22 pm Reply with quote
First, Fushigi Yuugi is great! The story is amazing, indepth and parts where they take your heart and squish it (seriously, I cried, hehe). There's a lot of action and comedy though. Technically it's shoujo but there is a pretty big male fanbase. =)

And some more titles for you:
FullMetal Alchemist, Samurai 7, King of Bandits Jing, DNAngel

Hope that helps you some. =D
The Lance

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Elfen Lied is very good, but it isn't your typical everyday anime. Some might find it disturbing at first glance, but it will eventually grow on you. You might want to watch the first episode before deciding to get it or not.
GloriousPikachu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
i own the ninja scroll movie but I've never seen the series. i've heard mixed review about the series but i like the movie alot.
As for Ruroni Kenshin I've heard a lot of good things about it but im not a huge fan of ginormous anime series.
Lastly for YuYu Hakusho... i watched that a couple of time and thought it out to be ok but not something i wanna pay for.

Well the Ninja Scroll Series is almost completely unrelated to the movie. It has a whole new plot, and the only characters that are in it from the movie are jubei and dakuan. The plot isn't so great but there is a almost comedically large amount of blood and gore, and an outrageous amount of fight scenes. The animation is better (obviosly since it isn't 10 years old like the movie). Personally i enjoyed this series for its gore, fighting, and a pretty good soundtrack. overall the series is ok, but don't get it if your loking for a deep anime full of plot twists or anything like that.

GP
Satch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Ok thanks for all that input (now i just wish i had enough money to buy all that anime. arggg)

question about elfen lied. when it comes to weirdness/complecatedness is it sorta like serial experiments lain or no? Cause i own lain and yeah i know about that.

Also, id like to know what others have to think aobut for Fushigi Yugi.

But yeah im still looking for more swicked (swicked = sweet + wicked....yay for made up words) anime so yeahhhhh. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1