• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime swordswomen

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R.G.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Who would you regard as among the best female swordwielders in anime?

(I have several candidates,but I'll wait until I have several replies before I start mentioning names.)
suna_suna

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Here's one:
Rurouni Kenshin: Kamiya Kaoru. She sure can wield a sword against the best of them (and smack Kenshin with it. This is especially shown (the fighting, not the smacking) in the Kyoto arc spoiler[as she fights against Kamatari, who is a man, and the other generic soldiers]
Sharmat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:24 pm Reply with quote
My favorite female swordsman would be Arashi Kishu from the anime series X. I haven't seen the movie yet, but as far as the entire series goes she is my favorite, she can be stoic at times, but her abilities with a sword are top notch!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:00 pm Reply with quote
My personal favorite would be Yoko Nakajime from Twelve Kingdoms. I also really like Senes from Scrapped Princess because she also uses magic, and Yu Lan from Full Metal Panic: TSR, is nearly unstoppable too.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm not 100% sure . . . I'd have to re-check what I've seen. However, many of the swordswomen I've seen have had the disturbing trend of losing their clothing in battle . . . Rolling Eyes
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:26 pm Reply with quote
inuyasha1357 wrote:
I would would have to say that my favorite is Aya Natsume from Tenjho Tenge but i don't know who the best is^_^

Aya is my favorite as well, however if it's a debate of skill then Maya is miles above her. Actually now that I think about it, in terms of swordswomen I don't know who would top Maya Natsume (I'm probably blanking on a few characters). Maya not only possesses great skill, but unlike most characters (especially women) she is also very knowledgable and is the teacher, not the student. Haha I don't know many teenagers who are as wise as she is. Not to say that Aya is a slouch (the scene where she cuts the petals is great), but like I said Maya is above her on many levels.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:46 pm Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:
I'm not 100% sure . . . I'd have to re-check what I've seen. However, many of the swordswomen I've seen have had the disturbing trend of losing their clothing in battle . . . Rolling Eyes

Laughing That's only in martial-arts/echi series like Ikki Tousen and Tenjho Tenge. On the other hand for the sake of decency, women do have more areas to hide under clothing than men do according to modern standards, so it's a bigger deal to lose a piece of it in combat.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:01 am Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:
(I have several candidates,but I'll wait until I have several replies before I start mentioning names.)

No, since you're starting the thread, it's expected that you be the one to get the ball rolling with your own take on the matter. Unfortunately, because other people had to reply despite that, I can't really shut this thread down for it like I should. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
R.G.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:43 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
R.G. wrote:

No, since you're starting the thread, it's expected that you be the one to get the ball rolling with your own take on the matter. Unfortunately, because other people had to reply despite that, I can't really shut this thread down for it like I should. Confused

All right,here are my choices :

Ran (Tsukikage Ran)
Utena Tenjou (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Ryoko Mitsurugi (Samurai Girl Real Bout High School)
Sakura Shinguji (Sakura Wars)
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:56 am Reply with quote
Jiyu Nanohana from Jubei-chan in her Yagyuu Jubei-form.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:25 am Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:
All right,here are my choices :

Ran (Tsukikage Ran)
Utena Tenjou (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Ryoko Mitsurugi (Samurai Girl Real Bout High School)
Sakura Shinguji (Sakura Wars)

And...you list.

Right, no, forget it. Locked. Poor opening post, then a LIST POST on top of that.

xanbcoo, same to you. Judging by your post count, you've been here long enough to know better about our rules against listing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1