• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki & Ghibli's 14th Laputa Airing Earns 18.5% Rating

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:03 pm Reply with quote
easier to hold higher percentages in times where the population of TV watches was far less
vashna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Are you saying that there were few people tuning in at the time that this was on? Regardless of that, I would still say that having 18.5 percent of people tuning into a Miyazaki movie is pretty impressive.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:32 am Reply with quote
It's a household rating based on total households, not only on those who have their tv on. Basically, on average, 18.5% of japanese households that night were watching the Laputa movie.
vashna

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:01 am Reply with quote
To be honest I never actually realized that about how these Japanese ratings are collected. That would make it seem that the viewing numbers are even more impressive as far as I'm concerned. If 18.5 percent of people did anything at any one time it seems like it would be pretty impressive.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:11 am Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
To be honest I never actually realized that about how these Japanese ratings are collected. That would make it seem that the viewing numbers are even more impressive as far as I'm concerned. If 18.5 percent of people did anything at any one time it seems like it would be pretty impressive.

Probably how the US does Nielsen. And keep in mind this is just for the Kanto region, not the whole country, which has a population of about 43,000,000. The JP rating system seems to be different from the US one. Gundam 0079's highest average rating in Japan was a 25.7% from Nagoya. The rerun's highest average rating from Kanto was a 17.9%. In the US, ratings are done on a nationwide scale. So when something like Flinstones averaged something like 10 million viewers, it is nationwide, it seems. 18.5% is more or less 8 million for the Kanto region, which is just under 7% of the Japanese population, which is still really good.
vashna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I think the Nielsen rating system works differently. I remember participating in it years ago, though, and they did have a spot for those who turned their TV off during certain hours. There are regional ratings in the United States, though, that work a little closer to what you were describing. All of this aside, I'm still impressed with the figures at the end of the day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1