• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime creators - Knock it off with the goofy English names.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:10 pm Reply with quote
So there I am watching Madlax and enjoying what is a fairly serious adventure series when suddenly a villain pops up with the name of Friday Monday. Sorry, I just can't take a black hat called Friday Monday seriously (never mind that he's got one of those gay little Phantom of the Opera masks). How does that even happen? Some writer is totally stumped for a name and suddenly his/her eye falls on a day planner?

Anime/manga is constantly coming up with goofy English names. Letter B has got a couple of howlers: Gauche Suede. Jiggy Pepper. Bitches, please.

I'm sure I'm repressing several more examples. What out there names can you think of? (Note: just to make it fair, only take names from series that aren't intentionally comedic, like Madlax.)
sk1199

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Practically all the main character names from Sorceror Hunters are foods.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Aha. You just repressed Lag Seeing.

Not on my side, but I heard someone sort of saying Milk (from LOL Heroes) was a pretty silly name. I disagree because they don't spell it properly anyway; unlike "Seeing".
Milku. Milku taicho. Sounds fine to me.

I did come across quite a few, but over time you can't help but laugh at it instead, even if it's just unintentional comedy.

It's a cool.

I find it more annoying when they come up with Mexican names (Bleach *cough*), or Italian, where they tend to drag a syllable (Hitman Reborn *cough*).
One Piece does fine with English names... like Tony Tony Chopper; while Gintama and Naruto just stick to Japanese.
Point? If you think a somewhat short series abusing another culture's naming is annoying, then think about a 300 episode thing.
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I still chuckle when I hear the name Jacuzzi Splot. Laughing I love that name though.

Frankly, I love the crazy, silly English names. Makes it more entertaining.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:13 pm Reply with quote
What makes you so sure that names like "Friday Monday" aren't slightly tongue-in-cheek? Even a serious show sometimes smuggles in little bits of silliness to counterbalance its grimmer material.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Much of the quaintness of Tantei Opera Milky Holmes, if it is apt to say it has any, may derive from certain characters' names.

A female protagonist by the name of "Sherlock Sherringford" and an outlandish exhibitionist who refers to himself as "Twenty" are two examples of note.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
So there I am watching Madlax and enjoying what is a fairly serious adventure series when suddenly a villain pops up with the name of Friday Monday. Sorry, I just can't take a black hat called Friday Monday seriously (never mind that he's got one of those gay little Phantom of the Opera masks). How does that even happen? Some writer is totally stumped for a name and suddenly his/her eye falls on a day planner?

Anime/manga is constantly coming up with goofy English names. Letter B has got a couple of howlers: Gauche Suede. Jiggy Pepper. Bitches, please.

I'm sure I'm repressing several more examples. What out there names can you think of? (Note: just to make it fair, only take names from series that aren't intentionally comedic, like Madlax.)

Yeah, I agree. If you really want to talk about pulling names out the ass, look no further than the Gundam franchise. There's some real head scratchers there.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:30 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
I still chuckle when I hear the name Jacuzzi Splot. Laughing I love that name though.

Frankly, I love the crazy, silly English names. Makes it more entertaining.
Agreed with this whole post. Laughing
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:34 pm Reply with quote
It has often seemed the case that English translators have been a little bit embarrassed by some of those English names and titles, and tried to obscure the obvious.
I'm thinking of the title of the Gall Force series. Presumably "Girl Force" just seemed too stupid, even tough that's obviously what was intended.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:49 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:

I was amused by it too, mostly cause it sounds like they are saying Jack-Could-Gee in Japanese. Anime hyper

I agree that some goofy English names can be really awful, but I like a mass majority of them. Quoted name above from Baccano! being one of them.

Last edited by Rukiia on Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
And the name Garterbelt (from Panty and Stocking) for a dark skinned priest with a massive afro amuses me greatly.

As I say, I don't count comedic shows - there you expect them to use wacky names. It's shows that are supposed to be somewhat serious that get me.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Constantly and intentionally, yup. However I don't see them using gimmicky names any more so than Western Media.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
As I say, I don't count comedic shows - there you expect them to use wacky names. It's shows that are supposed to be somewhat serious that get me.

My bad. I didn't see the bottom note of your post. I thought you were referring to English names in general. Embarassed

I'll just stick with my Baccano! name then.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Death Note anyone? Quillish Wammy, Mail Jeevas, Roger Ravi (or Ruvie, seems to be a play on Roger Rabbit, given the common interchange of v and b), John McEnroe/Larry Conners, not to mention Beyond Birthday (from Another Note) and his victims Backyard Bottomslash, Quarter Queen, and Believe Bridesmaid.

Agreeing with what's been said, I think it's usually done intentionally, and only rarely without realizing that while it might sound totally cool in Japan, it sounds silly in English (D(anger)-Boy in Tekkaman for example).
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:39 pm Reply with quote
This thread reminds me of this thread, which was hilarious too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3