• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Love Hina Fighting

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relah

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Hi, I've started to watch Love Hina. (currently at ep13) But I get this déjà vu feeling all the time. Keitaro does something stupid and he get's a good beating, I mean come on, couldn't he at least dodge once in a while? Anyways, now I feel like it isn't worth watching anymore, should I continue watching it? Does the episodes get any better?

/thanks
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Nope, they stay pretty much the same, maybe a little more serious near the end but not much. I still found the series entertaining, but, yes it is pretty repetitive.

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Love Hina. No, Keitaro doesn't just keep getting his butt kicked. A lot of the character development happens in the second half. I'm trying to remember becuase I must have seen this 4 years ago.

Besides, he's basically Bruce Willis' character in "Unbreakable", so no harm done right?

BTW, the manga is ten times better than the anime..
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:37 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
A lot of the character development happens in the second half.

Ha! You can't possibly call that character development at least not with Keitaro. Maybe Naru, but Keitaro's the same bumbling idiot determined to get into Tokyo U, as was in the first episode. I'm not saying that I didn't like Love Hina, cause I did like it, but if you want good character development, I recommend trying another harem series.
omnistry

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:43 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
I really enjoyed Love Hina. No, Keitaro doesn't just keep getting his butt kicked. A lot of the character development happens in the second half. I'm trying to remember becuase I must have seen this 4 years ago.

Besides, he's basically Bruce Willis' character in "Unbreakable", so no harm done right?

BTW, the manga is ten times better than the anime..

The dialogue is 20 times better in the manga; and twice of that as funny. Plus, they rushed Love Hina Again. There could've been another great season; but it was cancelled for no aparent reason.

But yeah he gets beat up a lot; but it's like Benny Hill. The same gag could be done a million times; and it still would be just as funny as the first time you heard/seen it.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:50 pm Reply with quote
relah wrote:
Hi, I've started to watch Love Hina. (currently at ep13) But I get this déjà vu feeling all the time. Keitaro does something stupid and he get's a good beating, I mean come on, couldn't he at least dodge once in a while? Anyways, now I feel like it isn't worth watching anymore, should I continue watching it? Does the episodes get any better?

/thanks

Please just drop it. Keitaro does something preverted, get beat up, rinse and repeat. It gets lamer and lamer. If you want to see recycle jokes over and over again, then continue.
relah

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:12 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
relah wrote:

/thanks

Please just drop it. Keitaro does something preverted, get beat up, rinse and repeat. It gets lamer and lamer. If you want to see recycle jokes over and over again, then continue.

I can see where you are heading, but I've read on the forum that the X-mas Special was better than the rest, true? false?
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:45 pm Reply with quote
The christmas special is a lot better than the rest of the anime put together. It has a better formed plot in it. And Keitaro isn't beat up as much in this one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:38 pm Reply with quote
usually mangas are more in depth than animes
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:46 pm Reply with quote
There are a couple of episodes later on that are much more soft/cute/non-violent. Personally, I enjoyed the manga and the anime on their own separate merits, though I will say the manga takes the funny step of making fun of Keitarou's invicibility as well. I'd say it's worth it--episode 13 is kind of weird because it parodies Japanese teen movies, but it improves and continues the plot after that ep.
beezis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:16 am Reply with quote
yeah repetitive and not much really starts to happen plot wise until episode 20? same old slapstick violence with the whole "give it your best and you'll succeed" thing it gets really annoying after a while. but you get that alot if you watch animes with the wussy male hero, except evangelion where shinji just never grows balls and tries to be happy.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
neflite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:36 am Reply with quote
Yes the X-Mas special is the best in the series with A great story and A great ending song
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:48 am Reply with quote
If you want a romantic comedy where the male lead isn't just a bonehead whose sole purpose is to be abused by the female leads, and don't want to enjoy the superior classics in the genre (Oh! My Goddess, Tenchi Muyo OAV's, Urasei Yatsura) then try Ai Yori Aoshi instead.

Ai Yori Aoshi has a fairly similar storyline to Love Hina - which is interesting since Ai Yori Aoshi is an older manga than Love Hina, even though the anime is newer - but the characters are much MUCH more well rounded. There's a very true romantic tone to the series, and the comedy doesn't just center around fanservice and slapstick (even though there is that).

What's most enjoyable, though, about Ai Yori Aoshi, is that Kaoru, the male lead, is actually a level-headed guy who's sure of himself, strong in his convictions, and a leader in his household. That makes for a very refreshing change of pace.

If you like Love Hina's concept, but are tired of its lack of originality and go-nowhere plot, you owe it to yourself to give Ai Yori Aoshi a chance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1