• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Strangest quote in an awkward situation in a Japanese anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Frankman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Okay, you know when you watch TV and something happens to surprise you, but the next word out of a character's mouth is completely unexpected? For my money one of the weirdest quotes in an equally weird situation in a "serious" anime happened in Neon Genesis Evangelion when spoiler[Rei literally tackled Shinji for touching his father's glasses and wound up lying on the floor buck naked with Shinji's left hand touching her chest (not sure, might be thinking FMA there)]. I expected a slap, a scream . . . SOMETHING to show outrage. Hell, I would've even taken a "so what's stopping you, big boy?" However, all she said was (and with a complete lack of emotion), "Can you please get off?" To that I say . . .

WOTTHEHELLWOTTHEHELLWOTTHEHELL?

Your opinions? Try to set up the quote with what was happening if you can.

On the flipside that scene probably gave birth to thousands of perverted Rei Ayanami fans. Lord. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by The Frankman on Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:10 am Reply with quote
Nothing that strange about that, given that this was the rare occasion in anime where such a scene is played seriously. And given the mostly emotionless state of Rei, it would be completely out of character for her to freak out or be seductive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Frankman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Nothing that strange about that, given that this was the rare occasion in anime where such a scene is played seriously. And given the mostly emotionless state of Rei, it would be completely out of character for her to freak out or be seductive.

But that's the key: At that point in the series it's not established that she was a character without any emotion (at least not to the extent people see later). Also, keep in mind spoiler[she did leap out at Shinji for simply wearing his father's glasses, so there was some type of emotion there. And the quote itself didn't reflect the previous actions: If she said "You're an idiot" or "Why are you here?" with the same lack of emotion, you'd still get the implied feeling. However there was no outrage of even a feeling of personal shame . . . all she wanted was Shinji off her so she could dress for school.]
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:30 pm Reply with quote
DELETED.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:37 am; edited 2 times in total
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:06 am Reply with quote
Hiyah!

Once in Captain Tsubasa, Ishizaki (Monkey Boy) was benched in the Nankatsu-Shutetsu match.
-They're a good pairing -he said.
-If I'd known that Misaki would enter the team, Iwould've asked you to injure yourself before -said Roberto Hongo, the Nankatu's trainer.
Of course... O_oU...
-Really funny, trainer...

And Roberto laughed.

That was funny and awkward, at least in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Nothing tops any quote on Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo.

"Not you, pickle. You can't watch."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
hentai4me

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:04 am Reply with quote
elfen lied.

after yoka and kouta spoiler[kiss] in the temple thing and Lucy(at that time she's the dominant personality) sees them, they have an awkward talk after finding her(suprising since Nyu cant talk...) and suddenly she changes back again and all Kouta has to say is something along the lines of:-

'Oh, she changed back.'

he doesn't even know about Lucy existing...
The Frankman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:15 pm Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
Nothing tops any quote on Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo.

"Not you, pickle. You can't watch."

You know, there are things I could follow that up with. But since I am a gentleman and are not in the mood to be banned. But I'd love to hear the setup for that one.

Twisted Evil Actually I'll say this: You listed a quote without explaining. Therefore, YOU'RE BANNED. Twisted Evil
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:39 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
elfen lied.

after yuuka and kouta spoiler[kiss] in the temple thing and Lucy(at that time she's the dominant personality) sees them, they have an awkward talk after finding her(suprising since Nyu can't talk...) and suddenly she changes back again and all Kouta has to say is something along the lines of:-

'Oh, she changed back.'

spoiler[He didn't know about Lucy existing (and won't until episode 12), but he by that point in the series, he had seen Nyuu acting strangely on several occasions, and whenever he yelled at her, she reverted back to her "Nyuu" personality. So, he had seen some "changes," even if he wasn't aware of Lucy.]
hentai4me

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:24 am Reply with quote
yes but they had just been speaking for the first time in a coherent way and she had just said some ominous thing or other and Yuka(I was wrong it wasn't Kouta) says 'she changed back' as if its an ordinary thing.

but try this one then, Bandoh spoiler[has fought and been defeated by Lucy, his arm broken and ripped off, and blinded] and Mayu walks up to him thrashing about on the sand bleeding everywhere and says 'Whats wrong with you?'

!!the guys bleeding and screaming here!! he's missing and arm!!
Efan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:17 pm Reply with quote
In elfen lied when kouta and yoka are sitting down and yoka has a weird look on her face, and she randomly says "Hey kouta, do you want to play with my breast's?"

When i first saw that i played it back to see if i read it right (Was watching subbed) and it turns out i did. I was so damn confused but then you learn why she said that in the next ep.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:19 am Reply with quote
Efan wrote:
In elfen lied when kouta and yoka are sitting down and yoka has a weird look on her face, and she randomly says "Hey kouta, do you want to play with my breast's?"

When i first saw that i played it back to see if i read it right (Was watching subbed) and it turns out i did. I was so damn confused but then you learn why she said that in the next ep.

I think the only real problem with Elfen Lied is the many odd one liners, such as that...
Kisa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:23 pm Reply with quote
in G.I.T.S SAC 2nd gig ep 1 when motoko was explaining the situation she said "if he cant convince the top brass we'll pull out and drown our sorrows in a nudie bar" Classic Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
coolGAL

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:26 pm Reply with quote
In Azumanga Daioh this qout is from episode 5 Sakaki and Osaka are sitting on the sand in the beach while some of the group where out in the water Osaka and Sakaki talk for a littel while then Yomi shows up Yomi: so what are you guys doing?. Osaka: oh we where just talking about hemroids. Sakaki: No we wernt!. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Iemander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
hentai4me wrote:
elfen lied.

after yuuka and kouta spoiler[kiss] in the temple thing and Lucy(at that time she's the dominant personality) sees them, they have an awkward talk after finding her(suprising since Nyu can't talk...) and suddenly she changes back again and all Kouta has to say is something along the lines of:-

'Oh, she changed back.'

spoiler[He didn't know about Lucy existing (and won't until episode 12), but he by that point in the series, he had seen Nyuu acting strangely on several occasions, and whenever he yelled at her, she reverted back to her "Nyuu" personality. So, he had seen some "changes," even if he wasn't aware of Lucy.]

spoiler[Actually, I always had the impression that he always knew that Nyuu was Lucy but had the whole thing cropped up inside of him denying it to himself. When he saw Lucy actually doing all that carnage, he was literally confronted with his past he doesn't want to deal with.

I'm not sure of all of this though, but I vaguely remember him literally denying his memories, saying that it didn't happen or not wanting to talk about it, or literally seeing him pushing his memories away.

And about those words of "she changed back", it's a little odd yes.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2