• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A lot of hate on ADV?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrantM1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:51 am Reply with quote
I've noticed recently when talking to some people a lack of love for ADV, despite them being the most popular of all the anime companies, why is this?
Shadow_Fox

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:34 am Reply with quote
I think that because thanks to them, people can't get their fansubs/pirated japanese episodes anymore because it infringes the piracy law. Take Naruto for example. If you remember the article of Wired News, it spoke of suing the sites that host the pirated episodes. People hate it because they want their Naruto and other anime that are fansubbed/pirated.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:53 am Reply with quote
first of all... Naruto is by Viz
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:58 am Reply with quote
I'd say it mostly has to do with the fanbase.

But seriously, I genuinely beliefve it's because fans love to complain.

Also, their releases can be a little short on extras.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:09 pm Reply with quote
ADVs releases (thinpacks aside, which may have something to do with the complaints) have the usual extras and often times more (Abenobashi, Azumanga Daioh, and Chrono Crusade are good examples. ADV has tons of extras compared to a lot of (in my experience) Geneon's releases. The thinpakcs have all the extras which upset some people, but if they wanted the series with extras so bad, why didn't they get it in the first place? Some people hate ADV because of their 'terrible dubs' but I suspect a lot of people who think/say that just don't like dubs period.

Some of the ADV 'hate'' stems from their botched manga line. Only a few of their series are still going. Most never got past the first or second volume. And I don't think they've updated the manga section of their website in over a year, so there's no way to tell (from their site at least) the status of a series you like. And some of the series they haven't canned have unbelievable lengths of time between releases. There was a 12 to 18 month gap between Gunslinger Girl volume 1 and 2. Volume 3 came out at least 6 months ago and there has been no information on the next volume. Has it been cancelled or is ADV just taking their damn sweet time? I don't know.

I think the main reason for the ADV hate is their terrible handling of some of their series, mainly the ones they acquired during their 2004 Licensing Spree. They licensed Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch, but haven't done anything with it. Same goes for U.F.O. Princess Valkerie.

Then there are series that they released partially and then stopped. They released the first season of Kaleido Star and announced the first volume of the second DVD to be released in March (I think) of '05 and even had a preview episode in Newtype. But March came and went with no Kaleido Star and at some point the series was put on hold. It looks like it's finally going to come out in January '06.

There was also ADVs decision to release GANZ on 13 two-episode DVDs instead of the normal type of release which angered a lot of people. After volume 6, they switched back to the 3-4 episodes per disc format.

I believe it was these types of situations that have resulted in a lot of ADV hating.
GrantM1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Interesting, especially since I used to be a big ADV fan back from about 2003 to earlier this year
aflimmer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I don't know. I like ADV for their products, and the way that they are trying to broaden the American market for anime.

I would hazard to say that the purists and the elitest are down on them for the same reasons. ADV is trying to make anime more popular by making it more main-stream, by being picky with their titles and doing some minor "Americanization" to make them appeal to a broader audience. I think that this is a good thing (as long as it stays true to the source material), as it will make it easier and more acceptable to the masses to watch anime and read manga. Which will make more titles available to us in the future. There are a few folks out there that think it is evil to change an anime in any way, even adding straight dubs, or subtitles. This is not going to generate popularity. People are not going to go out and learn conversational Japanese just to watch a T.V. show.

I'm not saying that ADV has been a perfect distr. in the past. They have bungled some releases, left series up in the air, lost track of some series (huge gaps between releases), had some bad dubs (most are pretty good though), and just generally screwed up some things just like any other company. ADV is still a relatively young company and is still learning a relatively new market. They are going to make mistakes, what will set them apart, is wether they learn from them.

This is just my opinion, I may be totally wrong. Confused (and if I am, someone will no doubt point it out)
GrantM1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't exactly call ADV a young company when they've been around since 1992

They are one of the few American anime companies to have a UK office (Manga Entertainment being the other) and have tried to make anime more popular in the UK

I don't know how well they've done so far, but I think they've made some progress
Joe anime

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:43 pm Reply with quote
ADV has been around for 13 years,so their not young.i like ADV
cause they bring to america some good anime and the extras
they put on the DVD's are good.
biliano

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:50 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
They released the first season of Kaleido Star and announced the first volume of the second DVD to be released in March (I think) of '05 and even had a preview episode in Newtype. But March came and went with no Kaleido Star and at some point the series was put on hold. It looks like it's finally going to come out in January '06.

Volume 1 of Kaleido Star - New Wings is scheduled to street on January 17, 2006, as it was mentioned here.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:54 pm Reply with quote
My only problem is their dubbing. The first one I heard was Evangelion. And since then, I just never could get myself to like any of them, no matter what. I'll spare my rambling and just leave it at that.

They have some good titles under their belt, and I appreciate their extras, aside from their audio commentaries. But yeah, it's just the dubbing and a little bit of the fact that some people worship it, when they certainly don't deserve it in my ears.
Anthony P

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, ADV likes to toy around with new ideas, some of which ruffle a few feathers. Anyone that tries new things is going to make a few mistakes.
Nani?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Hitokiri stated a lot of reasons they're the best loved company this side of For Kids. The fact is they are all legitimate and stem mostly from 2003-4.

If they can live them down by doing a good job for a while. I say forgive them.

All the Best,

Nani?
aflimmer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Joe anime wrote:
ADV has been around for 13 years,so their not young.i like ADV
cause they bring to america some good anime and the extras
they put on the DVD's are good.

Well, I meant in the grand scheme of things when compared to the likes of Disney, UA, Warner, or MGM, that have been around for 50-75 years and really know production and distribution for the American market. I know that ADV is nowhere near the class of these juggernaughts, but companies grow with age and experience.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Nani? wrote:
Hitokiri stated a lot of reasons they're the best loved company this side of For Kids.

Dude, it's 4Kids, not For Kids. Or you can call them 4Crap, 4Satan, or 4Shame.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4