• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shadow Skill

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyle Smyth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I was given Shadow Skill vol. 1 for christmas and I just finished watching it. I checked the encyclopedia and it appears as if the series that I have just begun to watch is the sequel to an OVA and it has 26 episodes. However there are other series listed and a spinoff. Could some one please tell me what happens in the other series and how I could get my hands on them and whether or not they are any good?
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what happens in them but apparently all of them have been released on DVD except for Shadow Skill 3. Looks like that one can be found on fansubs though.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:33 pm Reply with quote
The first two OVAs aren't anything special really, I didn't like them that much when I watched them on the Encore Action channel. The dub was terrible too. The first is about Gao and Ela and focuses on Gao learning the shadow skill's origins and fighting Ela.

The second is better and consists of two or three seperate storylines that apparently take place before the first OVA. The first one Ela fights in an arena to impress Gao who is apparently mute and doesn't talk to her. In the second Gao and Ela help out a young girl to destroy a huge wolf demon called the King of the Moon which killed her whole clan. In the third Ela and Valarie renew their rivalry after Valarie's brother shows up and chews her out for not avenging their father and becomming friends with Ela.
Colman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:04 pm Reply with quote
i got shadow skill sitting on the shelf, should get around to watching it
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:40 am Reply with quote
You have the following :-

Shadow Skill OVA 1, 2, 3 - In really there in introduce the main characters. For it's time, it was worth watching. However the Shadow Skill TV Series goes into those episodes much greater detail.

Shadow Skill TV Series - 26 Part Series where you have both Elle and Gou fight not only each other, but other threats to the Kuruda Kingdom. ADV is suppose to be releasing this.

Secret of the Kurudan Style - Set after the TV Series, however it's a rather forgetable OVA. The plot was predictable, and the CGI was rather piss poor.

Shadows Skill Movie - Set some time after Shadows Skill OVA/TV. It the anime that got me into shadow skill in the first place. It's still one of my favorite animes.
Kyle Smyth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Digital Dreamer wrote:
Shadow Skill OVA 1, 2, 3 - In really there in introduce the main characters. For it's time, it was worth watching. However the Shadow Skill TV Series goes into those episodes much greater detail.

Shadow Skill TV Series - 26 Part Series where you have both Elle and Gou fight not only each other, but other threats to the Kuruda Kingdom. ADV is suppose to be releasing this.

The DVD that I have is produced by ADV and it's part of the 26 episode series. Also does that mean that the series that ADV is releasing includes OVA 1,2,3 and therefor it is useless to by OVA 1,2,3?
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:11 am Reply with quote
Kyle Smyth wrote:
The DVD that I have is produced by ADV and it's part of the 26 episode series. Also does that mean that the series that ADV is releasing includes OVA 1,2,3 and therefor it is useless to by OVA 1,2,3?

SS MOVIE and SS OVA 1,2,3 are still licenced by Manga Entertainment.

Secret of the Kurudan Style has not been picked up by any one in the west yet.

It's not the first time I have seen 2 totally difference anime distributors deliver the different parts of the same anime series.

As for ADV Picking up the licencing rights for SS MOVIE and SS OVA 1,2,3. I don't think so Manga Entertainment has been holding the license for them for over about 7 years now. Normally you find SS MOVIE and OVA in the DVD Bargin bins.

As for watching the SS Movies or OVA. The SS Movie is definatly worthwhile watching after the watching the SS TV series. However the OVA is pointless as all the OVA events are covered in the first 6 episodes of the TV series. And in greater detail too.

So watch the TV Series.
Watch the Movie.
Watch Secret of the Kurudan Style only if you are a SS junkie.
But you are not missing any thing by missing out on the OVA series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1