• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Better Than The Twelve Kingdoms?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:33 am Reply with quote
Hello,

I am fairly new to Anime, but I am definately a fan of good quality Anime with excellent and well thought out storylines, and well drawn animation. I just watched the entire Twelve Kingdoms series and it was excellent! It has a total of 45 episodes, but eps. 1-39 are the best because of the fact that they had to stop production after the 1st season. 1-39 was first season and 40-45 where the start of a new one...Anyway, I was wanting the opinions of other mature Anime watchers who have a good eye for quality Anime and good storylines and animation. Something that draws you into the story and doesn't let you go.
For the record, I'll tell you the ones that I have seen thus far(that I can remember). They are as follows in no particular order: The Twelve Kingdoms, Ghost in the Shell 1 and 2, Appleseed, Princess Mononoke, Howls Moving Castle, Spirited Away, Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind, Blood: The Last Vampire, Vampire Hunter D, Motropolis, Steamboy, Akira, Grave of the Fireflies, Ninja Scroll, Cowboy Bebop(Movie), The Record of Lodoss War, Jin Ro: The Wolf Brigade, Escaflowne(The Movie), Laputa: The Castle in the Sky, Voices of a Distant Star, several CG movies, and more. If you happen to know of some that I am missing out on or some that you have just recently discovered, please feel free to let me know. Thanks ahead of time! Cool

Last edited by Kirin on Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:37 am Reply with quote
As far as good story goes with a decent bit of action I'd say give Wolf's Rain a shot and you may also want to look into Otogi Zoshi. I would also recommend Last Exile, but then again I always recommend that one, but it does have a great story with plenty of action and some really well done animation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Keonyn,

I'll definately check those out Smile

Does anyone else have any other ideas as well? Don't hestitate to tell me your favorites.
Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Ah, good choices Rozzer! I think I have heard about those before, especially Here and There. Cool

Has anyone seen Blue Submarine No.6? I heard it was pretty good will the Cel animation. How many episodes does it have now?

Also I heard that Perfect Blue was an interesting one...
xas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I just finished 12 Kingdoms and it immediately got a place in my personal top ten list.

If you can live without action, i recommend Haibane Renmei (well, and if your avatar is Sanshi...).
Rozzer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Kirin wrote:
Ah, good choices Rozzer! I think I have heard about those before, especially Here and There. Cool

Has anyone seen Blue Submarine No.6? I heard it was pretty good will the Cel animation. How many episodes does it have now?

I've seen both of those titles and Blue Submarine no.6 has AMAZING animation. They definitely used a lot of CGI to create that series, and the story line was pretty decent as well.
Perfect Blue is another title that ties together a really creepy storyline along with great animation.

I haven't seen either of those two in a couple years, but they're definitely worth watching.
xas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:38 pm Reply with quote
...and for a crazy mind-blowing experience (especially in terms of animation) watch Mind Game. I'm sure you haven't seen something like that before, but i have to say it's not for everyone...
Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the posts, I'll leave it open for anyone else to tell us the best Anime in their experience. Keep em comin. This is good info.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Planetes-Not too much storyline yet but excellent characters and really well done and scientifically plausable science fiction. Well worth checking out.

Bleach-Unliscensed but an excellent series so far. Has a really interesting and involving plot which starts around episode 15 or 16 and is still going with a total of 48 episodes so far.
Suzumori

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Kirin wrote:

Yeah Blue Submarine No.6 is great. If you like that you might want to check out Last Exile or Vandread. Both were also do ne by Gonzo like Blue sub. Last Exile tends to be more serious while Vandread tends to mix momnets of both lightheartedness some seriousness and they actually pull it of pretty well. both of the two have fiarly unique storylines.
Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Hey Rozzer I think one of your replies dissappeared, not sure how. It was about the Here and There and several others? No big deal though.
Rozzer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:54 pm Reply with quote
What the... where did that post go?
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Otogi Zoshi is pretty good, well the first half is. I recommend this, especially if you like 12 Kingdoms. Personally, this is a favorite of mine.

Also Samurai Champloo is a very entertaing series. A good mixture of swordplay action, comedy and adventure.

Planetes and Genshiken are two of the best new series being release this year.

Look for Basilisk next year if you want more "Ninja Scroll"-ish action.

*click on link to check out review/feature.
Iemander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Hey, nice to see a few other 12 kingdoms fans. To be straight, there's nothing really quite like 12 kingdoms, series of this kind never really go through this kind of epic scope or "realism" (Red hair is actually unusual Laughing).

Sort of the Lords of the Rings of "Anime". If you haven't seen those films, I sugest those before all else.
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Iemander wrote:
Hey, nice to see a few other 12 kingdoms fans. To be straight, there's nothing really quite like 12 kingdoms, series of this kind never really go through this kind of epic scope or "realism" (Red hair is actually unusual Laughing).

Sort of the Lords of the Rings of "Anime". If you haven't seen those films, I sugest those before all else.

The concept itself is similar to Fushigi Yuugi or even the manhwa thread of time. And if you want to talk about Lord of the Rings, that honor belong to Record of Lodoss War which is one of the greatest fantasy anime of all time, imo. 12 Kingdom isn't a bad series, too bad the character were too predictable and whiny.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3