• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vampire anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GloriousPikachu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Hey, i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a good (if not great) vampire/dark anime. To be specific im kinda looking for something with good action but a complex storyline (in other words not all hacking heads off, but not all talk, kinda in the middle.)
msi435

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Hellsing should fit the bill for you, it has great balance of both story and gore. It is by far the best vampire series out there. Blood the last Vampire is way too gory; in my opinion; it was just a showcase of new digital animation than anything. Vampire Princess Miyu is another one, but I don’t know too much about that show. Other than the 5 mentioned in these first two posts, there isn’t really much more vampire anime out there to my knowledge.

Edit--- beefed up some stuff...

Last edited by msi435 on Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Blood: The Last Vampire (never saw that last one, but it looks good).

It looks good but it's not really all that great. There's Vampire Princess Miyu, and I know that theres a Darkstalker series somewhere.
Dilandau

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:50 pm Reply with quote
There is also Tsukihime for the vampy bit.

Other twisted/dark titles might include Boogiepop, Paranoia Agent, Perfect Blue, Texhnolyze, lain. However, none of these really has much action.

Hellsing has the most action out of the lot IMHO. And most people of this genre like it.
Bosque

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I just can recomend Vampire Princess Miyu original OVAs (i haven't seen the tv series) for the storyline and that stuff. Vampire Hunter D and Bloodlust are just what you can expect from a cliche-vampire-story, the story is nothing from the other world and i'm sure you have read at least 10 books with the same story. Animation in bloodlust is excellent anyway, i think the action scenes make that a good movie. Blood, as said before, just a show of what was "new animation" at that time. Hellsing, i hate Hellsing, i think it's just a cheap show for neo-gothi-posers.

That's just my opninion anyway Anime smile

ps: english is my second language, sorry for the errors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Hellsing is really overrated.

Try Twilight of the Dark Master for a good dark anime.
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:52 pm Reply with quote
hagakure|returns wrote:
msi435 wrote:
Hellsing should fit the bill for you, it has great balance of both story and gore. It is by far the best vampire series out there.

Uh, I'm guessing you never saw Twilight of the Dark Master.

I agree that Hellsing is overrated and is only decent, but I think that Twilight of the Dark Master just plain sucks and I don't even remember it even having anything to do with vampires. You're entitled to your own opinion, but are you actually implying that this short OAV is any good? Confused

I haven't seen much "vampire" anime besides Blood: The Last Vampire and Hellsing but thought both of them were pretty mediocre as a whole. The only thing going for Blood is the gorgeous animation because when the anime spoiler[starts to pick up steam and there's a little bit of action, it just ends Mad and you're left without really any satisfaction]. Hellsing has underdeveloped characters and just falls apart in terms of story around the half-way point after the pretty good first half. It's still decent, but I'm pretty sure there are better "vampire" anime out there.

I'm probably looking into picking up Tsukihime later on myself and I'm now reminded that I have to get to watching Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust pretty soon. I have heard all around that these are excellent anime so I think you should look into getting these, GloriousPikachu.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:10 am Reply with quote
hagakure|returns wrote:

Try Twilight of the Dark Master for a good dark anime.

Thanks for listing, then re-listing once I deleted your original post. Confused

WHY do you think Hellsing is overrated?

WHY do you recommend Twilight of the Dark Master?

And if you can't provide that much, then just keep yourself out of the thread. This goes for everyone posting a recommendation. Back it up with substance, with the precise reason you want to recommend (or discredit) that title over others of the same genre, or don't say anything at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:16 am Reply with quote
If you just want a different take on Vampires, I suggest Master of Mosquiton, which is a comedy.

It's okay if you want a little laugh while watching depressing Vampire Movies. Of course, if you can get past the voice of Hillary Haag (like nails being ripped across a chalkboard....).
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:22 am Reply with quote
I would recommend Vampire Hunter D, and also Vampire Hunter D bloodlust. While the former is more or less th better of the two, bloodlust is very gruesome and gory if your into that sorta thing. I would also say that blood the last vampire is also an another excellent choice while the movie will definetly leave you wanting more there are videogame and manga you can read to fill the story aka .hack series. Also Blood is suppose to have a new show sometime althought I do not when or anyother details, check the encyclopedia for more info.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Iemander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:39 am Reply with quote
I never thought "Anime" was great at capturing the dark vampire setting at all, feels a little too clean at all times, I never sense anything that comes even close to "vile". I think you're better off searching in other mediums.
msi435

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:20 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
.... comedy.

That reminds me... there is a little 10 minute short out there called Comedy. It is one of the best anime short films I have ever seen! If you can get your paws on it please do. I don't want to give away anything... so... yep! Razz
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Lunar Legend Tsukihime (available from Geneon) should fit the dark/vampire bill. It's rather low on action (only a few fighting scenes), but it has a nice dark atmosphere. The opening is particularly haunting.

As for Hellsing, I'd avoid the Gonzo TV series and wait for the Hellsing Ultimate OVA (the first episode should be out in Japan in December). The Gonzo TV series follows the manga more or less for the first half of the series, but second half of the series goes off on it's own path and not for the better. I hadn't read the manga when I had seen the TV series, but I still felt the ending was poor and felt incomplete.

I can't comment on the TV series, but the Vampire Miyu OVA is pretty good. It's got the action AND the mood. Not a whole lot of plot from what I remember, but you won't really care.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:39 pm Reply with quote
If you want a story that delves into the personna of the vampire but doesn't emphasise the blood letting, I recommend "Vampire Princess Miyu", The OVA is brilliant, but short with only four episodes. However the forth episode had me in tears. The TV series allegedly follows the manga more closely and has a different plot to the OVA. But if you want lots of blood and gore, any of the Helsing series should satisfy. "Blood, The last Vampire" movie is an early culmination of CGi and 2D animation that is very good, but at 45 minutes a bit too short for a movie.
GloriousPikachu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Wow, thanks a lot everyone. I think im gonna look into Lunar Legend Tsukihime, The 2 Vampire Hunter D movies, and Blood the last vampire. If anyone else has any other suggestions please post them. Very Happy

GP
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2