• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Howl's Moving Castle

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Are

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:31 am Reply with quote
Hi everybody ,
long time no see. there is a good news for everybody that Howl's Moving Castle produced by the most famous Japan Director Hayao Mayazaki will be release on 11 th Nov. 2005.

And my lovely Kimura Takuya will be the main cast of this movie, we can hear his sexy voice in this movie ,haha.

Hi ,enjoy it with the different language(subtitles).

http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pid-1004060439/code-j/version-all/section-anime/did-7314/
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:22 am Reply with quote
Just on a related note, I just finished reading the original novel last night, by Diana Wynne Jones and I have to say that the Miyazaki film was far superior to the novel. Some of the differences in the book were:spoiler[Howl actually comes from Wales from our time. He goes and visits his sister and his nephews and neices, including one of them that plays computer games. This really destroyed the fairy tale quality of the book. So Howl is just some 20th century schmuck that learned magic somehow. The scarecrow plays a more menacing and more minor part. The Witch of the Waste was more evil and was not a mass of bouncing fat and never turned back to good. Sophie had 2 sisters that played major roles in the book. The Wizard Suliman doesn't show up until the last chapter.] In the book Sophie and Howl are very immature and selfish people. While Howl was depicted this way in the anime, it was even worse in the book, and Sophie did some mean things out of spite. The characters in the novel just didn't seem to pulse with flesh and blood. They were downright unlikeable. Miyazaki did a great job in making the characters more accessible and also more sympathetic. He also made the romance work better. In the book, it's like reading about two guppies eyeing each other in a fishbowl. I guess maybe the book is worth reading if you want a little more insight into the anime or want a little more background that couldn't be covered in the film. Jones also wrote a pseudo-sequel called Castle in the Air which purports to be a sequel to Howl but reading the back of it, I see no mention of any of the characters from the previous work.
MonkeyFunk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:03 am Reply with quote
freshkazuki wrote:
Jones also wrote a pseudo-sequel called Castle in the Air which purports to be a sequel to Howl but reading the back of it, I see no mention of any of the characters from the previous work.

It starts out very loosely connected but trust me, they're all there:

spoiler[In the same way that the scarecrow - and various other objects/characters in the book - turn out to be "missing" characters, most of the main characters in CitA are the cast of HMC transformed. The Castle in the Air is Howl's castle, under another spell.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1