• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New to Anime, and I have questions:-)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1mck

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:48 am Reply with quote
Hi, I'm new to the whole anime scene, and I just finished watching "Apple Seed," and it was excellent; however, I can't figure out why they will spend all the money to make the movie, and spend all that time for the artwork, and then they make all the women's eyes in the movie really, really, really big! I'm at a total loss here as to why this seems to so pervasive throughout just about all the anime that I have seen.

I also am hoping that someone can ferret out a series that I used to watch as a kid called, "G-Force." (Battle of the Planets). It was incredible, and the way that they incorporated old myths like the Loch Ness Monster into the stories was nothing short of pure genius! I never did find out if the main bad guy was actually a woman, or not...there was some indication of this in one of the episodes. At any rate, I would really like to purchase the whole series that is in english. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
1mck
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:19 am Reply with quote
Ah, the infamous anime eyes. It's an exaggeration to be sure, much like cartoon artists in the West exaggerate certain features.
Have you ever seen the animated Batman? I don't know about you, but I've never seen anyone with a jaw quite that square. The distorted features are part of the genre's artitistic style, some people like it and some people don't. After you've seen anough anime you find yourself ceasing to notice anymore. And then when you get really into anime you start wondering why real-life people have such small eyes! (j\k)
The eyes are said to be windows to the soul, and the larger they are the more expressine they are, in fact you can notice that usually the heroes/heroines will have large sauceresqe eyes, while the villians typically have small eyes. Perhaps letting the viewer know that the villian has a derelict soul, or something to that effect.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:36 am Reply with quote
Also it's a cetain style that most anime follows however, each artist has his own style as well, which means that not all anime character design is going to look alike. You're going to see variations in size and shape of the eyes and other features. In fact there's shows like witch Hunter Robin that are drawn more realistically but still in keeping with some elements of anime's specific art style.

Nionel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:58 am Reply with quote
1mck wrote:
I also am hoping that someone can ferret out a series that I used to watch as a kid called, "G-Force." (Battle of the Planets). It was incredible, and the way that they incorporated old myths like the Loch Ness Monster into the stories was nothing short of pure genius! I never did find out if the main bad guy was actually a woman, or not...there was some indication of this in one of the episodes. At any rate, I would really like to purchase the whole series that is in english. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
1mck

Ah, G-Force. For that you'll want to look into Gatchman, which is currently being released on DVD by ADV. Gatchman is the original version of the anime that became G-Force in the US. It shouldn't be too hard to find either, both Best Buy and Wal-Mart where I live carry the DVDs, the series is a total of 106 episodes, and is being released 2 volumes at a time (currently with 6 episodes per volume). I saw one of the box sets at Wal-Mart, which contains 2 of the DVDs and an extras disc and sells for around $20, and the price is about the same at Best Buy.
1mck

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:47 am Reply with quote
Hey thanks to everyone that responded!!! Very Happy

I guess I can get used to the whole "large" eye style...other than that the artwork is topnotch!

Wow, thanks for the info on G-Force! I'm going to whip up to Wal-Mart to check out if they have it here in the land of high taxes, and great beer...Canaduh Wink

At any rate, I was also wondering if you could point me in the right direction for some anime that is similar to Apple Seed...you know, some really great ones...must have anime for anyone wanting to get into it all Very Happy

Thanks again all,
1mck
mundox

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:54 am Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:
And then when you get really into anime you start wondering why real-life people have such small eyes!

I wonder how the world be if reality would look like anime Smile all the girls would have god-like beauty i think Very Happy

or not

and yeah for some good animes you can look HERE
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:24 am Reply with quote
mundox wrote:
ShellBullet wrote:
And then when you get really into anime you start wondering why real-life people have such small eyes!

I wonder how the world be if reality would look like anime Smile all the girls would have god-like beauty i think Very Happy

or not

My vote is: "not".

Just for the heck of it, I played around with 'shopping an old cover of a Billy Idol album (because he already had "anime hair" Smile ), and this is the result:

REAL WORLD:

ANIME STYLE EYES:

(Yes, I know it's a very sloppy 'shop - I did it in 15 minutes)

As you can see, it isn't really an image of "godlike beauty" - and I didn't even make the eyes that large.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:31 am Reply with quote
It should also be pointed out that the "big eyes" thing actually originally comes from American animation. That was not an uncommon feature in early animated American characters (just looks at Betty Boop, for instance), and the early Japanese animators were heavily inspired by the early works of Disney and others in the States. It just became fixed as a staple in Japan while in American animation went in other stylistic directions.

Now American animation is, to at least some degree, drawing stylistic inspiration from anime, so things have come full circle.

The "big eyes" thing is such a prominent (but, as others have pointed out, not universal) feature of anime that the main anime RPG game - BESM (aka Big Eyes, Small Mouth) - is named after it. It's even been used as a joke; I can recall one Urusei Yatsura OVA where a contagious disease caused male characters to get "anime girl" eyes. . .

As for G-Force, I also fondly remember that one. If you've ever heard of Battle of the Planets, that also comes from the same source material.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darthmoose

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:55 pm Reply with quote
It's actually what others said. The reason why the eyes are big is because of the style of the cartoon. Every style is different I mean let's look at modern American Cartoons here. The are extremely simplistic while Japanese animation is more detailed. It is also because they have different character designs and such. It's just how the animator feels how to draw. Sorry if some of this didn't make sense, but I'm kinda sick and a bit woozy...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1