• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
So I just ordered complete series of Berserk...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evasiege

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:40 am Reply with quote
and it should be in by Thursday! I've never seen it before, but figure if it comes so recommended I might as well give it a go. Plus, I've got some extra cash lying around Wink
Arkard

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:54 am Reply with quote
Heh, must be good to just order anime "in the dark".
But you are in for a treat. Berserk is one of the finest anime out there, although the manga is so much better. But be warned, the anime is damn bloody and emotionaly hard at times. But it has a brilliant plot, great animation and characters you will like so much you will feel they are almost real.
Well enjoy your Berserk Smile
Evasiege

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:58 am Reply with quote
Well I didn't exactly jump into it blindly. I researched the storyline and characters before hand and thought it would be something I would enjoy...
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:42 am Reply with quote
Ah, to be a Berserk virgin again...... ::sigh:: Wink

I love this show. I'm excited to here what you think of it. Post a response or two.

Good viewing!!
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:18 pm Reply with quote
In the manga (and the anime, I would suppose, but I've never seen that), the characters are incredibly deep and complex. Its wonderful if you're into psyche/soc like I am
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I actually bought the series COMPLETELY BLIND

pretty good use of 56$
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:45 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
I actually bought the series COMPLETELY BLIND

pretty good use of 56$

Likewise, I bought berserk and Zeta on the same day, two very good pick up imo. I found berserk to be extremely amazing up until the last couple eps spoiler[when griffin basically rapes Casca I was somewhat disturbed by this.] But overall an amazing anime, I don't know if I would continue reading the manga since it's so different to that of the anime.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I hate the way it ended, I rather just stick to the manga.

Last edited by Advent_Nebula on Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
I hate the way it ended, I rather just stick to the manga.[/spoiler]

...Well, aside from the removal of Puck and a couple of minor changes in episode 1, the anime followed the manga to the letter. The manga is better overall, but as an experience, I prefer the anime series to the associated volumes. The music is excellent...fits the show perfectly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fazz89x

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:54 am Reply with quote
The anime series is great. As soon as you finish it, you just gotta snag the manga and start reading. Sure, it doesn't finish things (sadly) but it is an excellent supplement to the entire Berserk Experience.
patch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:59 am Reply with quote
I've never seen the series, but from all the talk on the forums, looks like I have to check it out Smile

How is the English dub on the series and how does it compare with Japanese dub? Only reason why I ask is I'm a little iffy on dubs of older anime.
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Of course, there are those who like the dub, but personally I thought it was pretty bad. I generally don't like most dubs though-- the real exceptions are stuff like the Disney Miyazaki dubs, Bebop, Wolf's Rain, and (if memory serves) Jin-Roh and Grave of Fireflies. As for Berserk-- I only watch it subtitled.

And coolerimmortal-- it's such a rare event to find someone else who actually prefers the anime over the manga ... for the volumes that it covers. The manga is, of course, very very good, and as a whole offers many things the show doesn't offer, but yeah, I rather prefer the show to the first 11-13 volumes of the manga.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:07 am Reply with quote
patch wrote:
How is the English dub on the series and how does it compare with Japanese dub? Only reason why I ask is I'm a little iffy on dubs of older anime.

I thought the dubbing was OK when I first heard it, but I only listened to bits and pieces for about the first episode or two. I later heard some more when a friend of mine was rewatching it.

Um... let's just say I prefer it in Japanese. If you're one to keep up with seiyuu performances, take a look at the three people casted for the primary characters. It's a pretty good lineup, if I do say so myself.

I wouldn't say the dub is terrible, but I'll gaurantee you can't go wrong with the Japanese cast Smile.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Likewise, I also agree with the opinion that the original Japanese is really well done, while I had a hard time taking the English dub seriously. I think the outtakes worked against the English track since I'm constantly reminded of the goofy lines from the outtakes when watching the English. I also bought this series blindly, but then again that applies to almost everything I've bought.
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:22 am Reply with quote
After the FIRST DISC, dub is pretty damn solid (err... I'm from the "watch an assload of dubs camp"... so I can't say that I'm totally unbiased... anyway, at least consider my thoughts since I'm gonna be in detail)

The first disc initally just pissed me off and almost made me not give it a chance because there were a ton of these obscure moments of acting

MARC DIRAISON's *GUTS* manliness is what kept me hanging on... Kevin Collins *GRIFFITH* was cool too of course

Carolyn Keranen *CASKA* took a while to shed her New York kinda accent

ANYWAY, when they all got it together by disc 2, those obscure moments lessened and eventually disappeared

you're only problem then would be the LIP-SYNC which was iffy here and there, but the flow of dialogue was pretty neat even with the sacrifice

I really really like the extra character's voice too

Mike Pollock was GODLY as ADON, I didn't think people could sound so full of themselves

It seems a lot of the actors they got for the show aren't regular voiceover actors, dunno where NYAV got them, but I like the fact that it didn't feel artificially medieval at all *Well, as far as I'm concerned anyway*

--------------------

Anyway, in conclusion, the real obstacle for the dub fan would be the FIRST DISC... sure, everyone sounded the part, but the acting and delivery in some scenes was just whack... *My main complaint with the NEW FIST OF THE NORTH STAR DUB*

so good thing they went and fixed it
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2