• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why anime has ruined my bliss. Or made me better?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
There is no World

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:31 am Reply with quote
Well, I can't speak for any of you but ever since I started watching A LOT of anime lately... I've lost my sense of bliss in idiocy. You see, I used to be happy, I don't know why, probably because I wasn't in the full realization of others feelings... and such. But now... after watching a slew of sad and "near suicidal" anmie, Im really maturing. Damn you anime! I didn't want to be mature.... If only I could stop my addiction....

How about you? Have you matured watching anime?
smutchi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:28 am Reply with quote
I don't think I've matured watching anime. Sometimes anime makes me think about certain topics (like belief, honor, violence or whatever) or life in general, and I think this can be an important part of art: It gives you imput or forces you to think about yourself and your opinions.

However, most of the time when I watch anime it's just to the other way round: I don't mature, but become a child again. Wink
Annie_Jr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:38 am Reply with quote
Actually for me anime just makes me happier. After a hard days work I just wanna get home and watch anything and I'll be in my own little world once again. And sometimes (as smutchi stated) I just become a child all over again.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:23 am Reply with quote
There is no World wrote:
But now... after watching a slew of sad and "near suicidal" anmie, Im really maturing. Damn you anime! I didn't want to be mature.... If only I could stop my addiction....

May we know what are those "near suicidal" anime titles you were talking about?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:12 pm Reply with quote
There is no World wrote:
How about you? Have you matured watching anime?

In an intellectual sense, maybe. After analyzing particular themes in anime (not to mention hearing lectures from incredibly intelligent scholars and reading thoughtful texts on the subject), I feel like my mind's capacity and capability for higher-level thinking and interpretation has improved. But that's really with any perceptive film or animation; it's not just limited to anime.

Also, I share smutchi's condition occasionally; one of the aspects of animation that I love the most is its abillity to make me feel small again. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't think watching anime has really matured me, the stories have sometimes inspired me but I don't think it has helped me mature any more so than watching any other show or movie may have. I mean, movies like Saving Private Ryan or other such realistic drama's have much more an impact on me in that regard than any anime has.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
There is no World

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:28 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
There is no World wrote:
But now... after watching a slew of sad and "near suicidal" anmie, Im really maturing. Damn you anime! I didn't want to be mature.... If only I could stop my addiction....

You know... the times in a certain anime when you would rather carve your heart out with the nearest sharp object, instead of having to keep from flooding your house with your tears.
Rozzer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:35 pm Reply with quote
There is no World wrote:
dormcat wrote:
There is no World wrote:

You know... the times in a certain anime when you would rather carve your heart out with the nearest sharp object, instead of having to keep from flooding your house with your tears.

You must watch some REALLY depressing anime then Shocked

Which titles are you referring to exactly?
There is no World

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, I cried a hell of a lot at the end of Crno Crusade.... And theres this other REALLY sad anime I watched with a friend at his house (After the first three episodes we found ourselves in each others arms crying our eyes out, and were both guys...) (Not to say im gay, just to emphisize the depressing factor the anime had) and I forgot what it was called.... Also, Gunsinger Girl is just depressing.
bReAkDoWn^RT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Anime seems to be very powerful to some people. Like me ^^.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm going through the same thing as you dude though i've come up with the conclusion that I was already depressed and watching depressing anime just made it worse. Also i'm starting to think that anime is an escape for me like how The World in .hack//Sign was an escape for people from the real world. Or maybe i've just done TOO much reflecting over the summer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
There is no World

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:12 pm Reply with quote
bReAkDoWn^RT wrote:
Anime seems to be very powerful to some people. Like me ^^.

Hell yeah, especially when you really "connect"... oooooor....... take a hell of a lot of asprin and then watch anime in a daze so you actually believe what your watching is real.....
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:31 pm Reply with quote
There is no World wrote:

Hell yeah, especially when you really "connect"... oooooor....... take a hell of a lot of asprin and then watch anime in a daze so you actually believe what your watching is real.....

Look I think you should see someone about this. I have never heard a louder cry for help than that. Seriously if you are in emotional distress than mabey you should stop watching until you feel a little more stable. I also get emotional when watching anime and I am not saying there is any thing wrong with that. However any thing that gose to an extream tends to be bad. You should step back and take deep breath and evaluate your life, and you might find some good points to hold onto when you are down. I am not trying to be a prick it just sounds like you may have deeper issues than depressing anime. I hope it works out for you.
coolGAL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:42 pm Reply with quote
it has saved my life after a hard day at high school i like to kick back and relax with it if i hadn't strted watching anime when i was in the ninith grade i would have comitted suicide. P.S. i am not joking
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Efan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Im a deep thinker and im REALLY into human psychology so i try to think about what im watching as much as i can... so most animes get me emotional and they make me realize what some people have to go through. Anime has made me mature I've noticed. I never cry at all during a movie (like in Titanic when i watched it with my sister and mom they were bawling and im like "... yea its sad i guess... Confused but do you really need to cry that much?" THEN i watched Grave of the Fireflies and i cryed like a child because i thought so much into it and understood it so much better then Titanic or Saving Private Ryan. So yea anime has matured me alot, now i think more into things i see.

Edited: phsycology- psychology just for you SuperOnizuka Wink

Last edited by Efan on Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2