• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best teen to adult shoujos?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bunny_tsukino

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:26 pm Reply with quote
i recently finished Peach Girl (cant wait for Ura Peach Girl!) and its right up there as my favorite (sailor moon is the other). I love the story line, and I love how it was directed at people more my age (Im 20).

My question, what other shoujo anime series out there are directed to the 14-25 year old age group. which ones are your faves and the best?
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:59 pm Reply with quote
There are no "adult" shoujos. Anime and manga targeted at women 18+ is called "josei". Peach Girl was directed at early to mid teens. One shoujo directed at older teens I can recommend is Hot Gimmick.

As for good josei manga, Honey and Clover is amusing, and while I haven't read it myself, I've heard good things about Happy Mania by Moyoco Anno. Of course, well all know that the greatest josei ever is Ebichu: The Housekeeping Hamster.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm 20 too, so I guess I can tell you what I like.

Mainly I'm into Watase Yuu's manga and the Fushigi Yuugi anime (the Ayashi no Ceres anime isn't very good, in my opinion)...Watase I think has a reputation for fluff that really isn't 100% accurate, since she deals with some serious and rather dark stuff, especially in the Ceres manga. So I'd say these manga are both really geared towards older readers who are mature enough to understand the themes, even if you have your typical 15-year-old heroine.

Sadly my latest anime watching has been all Sailor Moon, which obviously you already know about Razz But to go back to manga, I really liked the MARS series, which had some darker, more serious stuff in it too, along with the ever-present love story.

I also like a lot of non-shoujo stuff that has interesting characters, like for example the anime Wolf's Rain. This anime really is rather a mix of shoujo and shounen, though if it had to be classified as one I would go with shounen, but the characters are interesting and develop enough to keep the interest of fans who are more into that than action.
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:13 pm Reply with quote
His and Her Circumstances is a good choice. Even though the characters are in high school, it hits on more mature themes.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Talking about Yuu Watase, even Imadoki!, which seems more cute and innocent than Ceres and FY, gets into its share of heavy issues by the end.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:45 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:

I also like a lot of non-shoujo stuff that has interesting characters, like for example the anime Wolf's Rain. This anime really is rather a mix of shoujo and shounen, though if it had to be classified as one I would go with shounen, but the characters are interesting and develop enough to keep the interest of fans who are more into that than action.

I'd classify it as a seinin title myself. seinin titles are aimed at guys college age and older and include stuff like Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Ah! My Goddess.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I waited to see if anyone else could beat me to it, but now I can't believe that no one has mentioned NANA, an excellent story about two young women (See? No schoolgirls Wink ) seeking for love, friendship, and independence. With its adaptation into a live-action movie it also has become the newest phenomenon in Japan.

The basic rule: if the main character is in middle schooler / high schooler (like Peach Girl, Sailor Moon, and KareKano), > 90% chance it aims at the same age group. Shoujo readers tends to try themselves into the shoes of the main character (which is often a schoolgirl).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, the poster is talking about Shoujo anime, but everyone keep mentioning shoujo manga: Hot Gimmick, Imadoki, Happy Mania, NaNa and MARS.

bunny_tsukino, are you looking for anime or manga? There aren't much shojo anime out there.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:08 pm Reply with quote
hagakure|returns wrote:
Hmm, the poster is talking about Shoujo anime, but everyone keep mentioning shoujo manga:

Ah, my bad. I should have added that anything adapted from Ai Yazawa's manga should be fine, as long as it sticks to original manga. And as Pepperidge said, Honey and Clover is one of the best josei manga/anime ever, probably THE best.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Weazul-chan wrote:

I'd classify it as a seinin title myself. seinin titles are aimed at guys college age and older and include stuff like Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Ah! My Goddess.

Hmm, I see how that could work, most of the male characters seem to be adults rather than teens and all...it's interesting though, when you have a show that doesn't only appeal to the target audience, but to many others as well.

And yes, there has been more manga talk here than anime. I think shoujo fans perhaps are just sometimes more into manga, because usually characters have more depth in manga than they do in anime, just because of the differences of form (at least every manga I've ever read where I also saw the anime seemed to have this...except maybe the Sailor Moon manga, which goes too fast for much character development).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1