• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is anime an escape for you?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Currently i'm sorta depressed and i'm starting to notice that i'm using anime as an escape from all my problems. This is sorta like the theme in .hack//Sign but i'm starting to forget about my life and now just prefer watching the lives of characters in anime. Though this is more on how i'm feeling at the moment. At some point of the day I feel happy then it all crashes down to feeling sad. Just wondering if anyone else is like this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:41 pm Reply with quote
What's the problem?
Anyway I don't feel like that and watch anime to solve all my problems. You didn't tell me what your problem was so I'm guessing it's one of these:
Bully-befriend or beat the snot out of them. I choose to befriend them.
Schoolwork-I can't help but watch anime every minute of my life and since my mom knows this, she blocks the T.V. and prevents me from doing any illegal downloading. I hate security Mad
Girl Problems-if your watching anime, that means your really depressed and should get help
Sports-if you suck, then you just suck and have to practice more
Popularity-that's really easy to obtain; just do whatever they're doing or get involved in the school activities. I choose to get involved in the school activities because you make more friends that way and they also "like you for who you are."
P.S .
Forgetting about your life when you watch anime is common for me and probably for others too so your not alone. If your problems are really severe, then I suggest you get psychological help (not in an offensive way). If I didn't answer your question then I wrote all this for nothing. I don't think I answered your question at all.
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:57 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
Currently i'm sorta depressed and i'm starting to notice that i'm using anime as an escape from all my problems. This is sorta like the theme in .hack//Sign but i'm starting to forget about my life and now just prefer watching the lives of characters in anime. Though this is more on how i'm feeling at the moment. At some point of the day I feel happy then it all crashes down to feeling sad. Just wondering if anyone else is like this.

I feel this way somtimes but it dose not usualy last long. I like to watch anime as a way to escape the Tv shows and comercials that are slowly rotting the minds of most people in the world. I learned a long time ago that you can only "run" so far from your problems befor you get tired and you let your gaurd down. Then the things you were avoiding attack and you have to deal with it over and over again. The up and down thing is very typicle of clinicle depression .If you are going through major mood swings every day for long periods of time like a year or more. If not than it is fairly normal to be this way some times. Almost all people have depression you are not even close to being alone. Wink
Efan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:50 pm Reply with quote
People in their teens encounter this kind of depression the same way people have their mid-life crisis. You, alot like me and my other friends, watch anime as a way to escape it, and it works. Just pull through for a year and all will be well and be thankful you didn't resort to self abuse or something equally as unhealthy.
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Actually, the whole purpose of art like anime is for you to escape your everyday life so there isn't anything wrong with it. If everyone was satisfied with their lives, anime, movies, novels, manga, and every other form of art wouldn't even exist. Characters exist so you CAN live other lives. People can do much worse things with their time when they're down than watching anime. Actually, I would seek out anime that deal with whatever problems are getting you down because sometimes seeing characters work things out helps you work them out too. As for me, anime actually saved my mind. There was a point where I felt my imagination was stifled by all the mess going on in the world and then I got into anime and manga and it was like discovering a whole new world. Even if you have a bad day at work or school, you can come home and watch an episode of Azumanga Daioh and laugh.
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:21 pm Reply with quote
yeah, music is kinda like that for me (though not to that extent)

...but is it just me, or does is this thread sounding kinda like an A.A. meeting? >.<
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Illumina

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:38 pm Reply with quote
heh, i was exactly like that a few summer ago, mainly because of girl and popularity problems. I spent like a whole summer just watching anime everyday, drowning in other people's fictional lives. But then in the end i realized, anime is entertaiment, nothing more nothing less, for me anyway. I think it would feel nicer to be able to talk to other real people about your problems, and have people who support you. So then i started to be more outgoing and went out to public gatherings and everything eventually became better. So my suggestion would be try to solve w/e problems you have head on, and hopefully everything will work out. If not, u still have the anime world to sink back to =P.
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:40 pm Reply with quote
also, if you have a really close friend, or a fellow otaku who you know well, talk to them, it helps
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
lone_samurai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Yeah at times I fell the same way, so I watch anime to see others deal with their problems so I don't have to deal with mine.
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Myself, yes. I pretty much do use anime as an escape but it's the same for the rest of tv, movies, video games, internet, and books. I did know someone who did kind of take the whole anime as an escape deal a tad too far. Sometimes, I even wonder if she knew where the line between reality and fantasy was. I tried to help her grab a hold of reality while she helped me try and see that reality shouldn't be taken too seriously but she moved away. She wasn't someone who led a very well life and at that time, though know more than then, I was going through some tough times as well so we both kind of helped each other out by using our common form of escapism which was anime and video games. Over time though, I got over my problems and I just see anime as another form of entertainment. Her on the other hand, I don't know. Anime as an escapism isn't an answer but it does help. For me, it just helped me wait out my problems. That isn't really an all purpose answer but it worked. Just don't expect to dive into another world everytime things start getting too hard to deal with.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:27 pm Reply with quote
No, I see anime the same as I see domestic movies and shows and a book. Fictional entertainment, visuals and audio that tells an intriguing story essentially.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:11 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:

I know exactly how you feel IchigoK90. Some days I'm so happy, but then at the end of the day I'm so depressed- and sometimes for no apparent reasons whatsoever! I mainly blame it on my schoolwork although family and social issues is also a large factor. Most people say I'm a lost cause...
Anyways, I do escape from my unbareable(sp?) life with animes, daydreaming, music and drawing. I just love to sit down to a psychological type of anime that deal with the darker side of life's little problems. I feel it relates to my life quite nicely and it may be wierd, but I feel that after watching something like that, the burden and pain from the day seems to wear off a little.
P.S. Not to be rude or pry into your personal life, but what seems to be the problem? You don't have to answer, but maybe it's something I can relate to and help you with.
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:16 pm Reply with quote
How can it be an escape when it's REALITY?

ZIIIIIIIIIIIINGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH SHI... Laughing
Iemander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm beginning to wonder if this forum is actually some kind of social gathering for heavely addicted fans. Is it usual that so many of these "Help! I'm addicted!" threads show up? I've read 3 in the last week.
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:19 am Reply with quote
Actually, I've only seen this a couple of times...

I contemplate the thing, but then I move on and just watch more stuff...

much more productive if you ask me Razz
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6