• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Initial D Live Action Movie is Terrible

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chach3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I finally got to see it, and it sucks. There is some good drifting in it, but the story sucks ass. It is a hodge podge of the anime story. spoiler[They make Bunta look like a scum bag drunk that beats up Takumi.]I had such high hopes and it failed miserably.
.Sy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I think it kinda does, if the original poster would be so kind as to give us a detailed synopsis...? (I'm sorry, but I don't really know that much about Initial D.) Or at least it will if the movie comes out in Region 1.

EDIT: chach3, you might also want to change the subject to just the Initial D live action movie.

Last edited by .Sy on Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:28 pm Reply with quote
i heard it's fun for a popcorn movie.
chach3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:17 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
i guess it would be okay if you haven't seen the original anime. But if you have seen the anime shows, then you are going to hate it.
scorpioEDC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:03 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen the anime at all as I am not very interested in cars racing.

However, yesterday, I came across an article:
http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-asahi/TKY200509090142.html

Sounds like a big hit in Asia.

Wondering how it is compared to Fast and Furious - I haven't seen F&F either. In other words, it is not very likely for me to see this Initial D Live Action Movie even if it is going to be released in North America.

Anyway, there is still a very slim chance that I may go to see it simply because of curiosity.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:28 am Reply with quote
It's still leagues better than the Chinese Dragonball.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:29 am Reply with quote
chach3 wrote:
I finally got to see it, and it sucks. There is some good drifting in it, but the story sucks ass. It is a hodge podge of the anime story. spoiler[They make Bunta look like a scum bag drunk that beats up Takumi.]I had such high hopes and it failed miserably.

That really wasn't the worst part of the movie. You're forgetting about these parts:

spoiler[
1. They removed Keisuke and put his character into Nakazato. This is completely contradictory to the manga because 1) Keisuke dislikes the GT-R; and 2) Nakazato dislikes drifting.
2. They removed Iketani, but kept his S13.
3. They gave Itsuki an AE86 when he should be driving an AE85 Levin.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:07 am Reply with quote
I thought this movie was ok. It could have been worse like Hokuto no Ken (the only good features in that movie was Vader and Dante Basco). I mostly enjoyed Initial D for the races and the music. I never really cared much for the story. And the fact it makes a damn good arcade game.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
TonytheMan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:46 pm Reply with quote
chach3 wrote:

Well i must say it's an ok- good movie. It's very funny movie if you can undertand cantonese/chinese. It's a very popular movie in Hong Kong. Anyway, the story sucks, but i found it to be funny and entertaining.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:28 pm Reply with quote
you mean a chinese version or dragonball?

=/ well the first thing that pops in my head was that the dragonball was loosly based off a chinese legend
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:32 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

I've seen the show (have no interest in cars whatsoever btw), and I love it. And i just saw the movie today and i loved it just as much as the show. Of course it's a popcorn movie, and a really good one at that. I dont see how anyone would be expecting anymore than that. And it's a million times better than Fast and the Furious. I also liked Bunta alot better than in the anime.
The coolest part wasspoiler[in the last race when the bandana guy crashes and then the other two are just looking up and his car falls from the sky onto the road. It was so loud especially with surround sound. ]

It's a fun movie. So what if the story got shuffled around a little bit. It's an adaptation of Initial D, not Shakespeare. The point of the series is cool car races and some comedy, and that's exactly what you get in the movie.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:47 pm Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:
you mean a chinese version or dragonball?

=/ well the first thing that pops in my head was that the dragonball was loosly based off a chinese legend

There was a chinese dragonball live action years ago. It was terrible.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I think one thing which is authentic to the series is the guys are more attractive than the girls. (Well except for Chapman To...) Anyway, my only gripe is Jay Chou didn't seem confident as Takumi. His acting's decent, but I feel like he's holding back at times.
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:47 am Reply with quote
I believe this was his acting debut but I'm not really saying to give him a break. There have been great acting debuts from the such of Sorimachi Takeshi (who played GTO) in Virgin Days and Eminem in 8 Mile. But I think he can improve.

Interesting that the only cast member that's Japanese is Anne Suzuki. I'm pretty sure they could have found a Chinese actress just as qualified or even more to play Natsuki. I'm pretty sure a sequel can improve things and I know they'll make one.

I actually have a Japanese flyer that says Initial D beat Star Wars III in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Malaysia, and Singapore. Was it the cast? Or the fact that Initial D is popular in Asia altogether?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:55 am Reply with quote
Parapara:
Quote:
Interesting that the only cast member that's Japanese is Anne Suzuki. I'm pretty sure they could have found a Chinese actress just as qualified or even more to play Natsuki.

I think it had to do with marketing it to Japanese audiences.

Quote:
Was it the cast? Or the fact that Initial D is popular in Asia altogether?

Probably a combination of the two. That, and the HK movie industry hasn't had an event flick in a while.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2