• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga adaptations of classic literature?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katori

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:23 pm Reply with quote
First post. Hello. ::waves::

I'm looking for manga based on classic literature. I know there were several done of the Eastern classics (Saiyuki, Houshin Engi, and I've heard that there is a Tale of Genji manga), but are there any Western classics that were adapted to manga form? Any information would be much appreciated.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it really follows the story itself, but there is an Emma manga that is told in the manner of Jane Austen:

manga#4763
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:08 pm Reply with quote
You'd be really hard pressed to find anything based on western mythology. People usually like to write about the things that they know or grew up with and since 99.9% of all manga comes from the east, then it's usually going to be about eastern mythos.
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Junko Mizuno often uses classic Western children's literature as the subjects of her manga. Try reading Hansel and Gretel, Cinderella, and Princess Mermaid (a loose adaptation of The Little Mermaid.) She is one of my very favorite manga ka, so I highly recommend her works anyway. They are printed in color as well, and are absolutely beautiful to look at (even if they are a little disturbing).

Oh, and CLAMP's silly Miyuki-Chan in Wonderland is an adaptation of Alice in Wonderland.

PS Welcome to the ANN forum!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:00 pm Reply with quote
outlawwolf wrote:
You'd be really hard pressed to find anything based on western mythology. People usually like to write about the things that they know or grew up with and since 99.9% of all manga comes from the east, then it's usually going to be about eastern mythos.

While not western, we have manga based on Norse Mythology: Ragnarok (aka swrod of the Dark one) and Mythetical Detective Loki Ragnarok.

How many western Mythology are there? IN term of Western Popculture, there's an anime call Cinderella Boy and mention before, Junko Mizuno's work.

Just because they're from the East doesnt' mean some artist won't have any Western Influence while growning up. Hollywood do pretty well in Japan, and some american comic book like X-Men have influence many mangaka. I beleve there was also a japanese spiderman manga. I'm pretty sure there are a lot out there.
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I beleve there was also a japanese spiderman manga. I'm pretty sure there are a lot out there.

Please never bring up the marvel mangaverse series ever again. It was a horrible bastardization of classic characters and was only used to cash in on the sudden popularity of the anime style in america. The stories were horrid, stupid origins, dumb characters, rediculous cliches'. Good god no! horrible flash backs making me want to dry heave. Even if a kid read the marvel mangaverse without knowing the origins of any of the charcters displayed, even he would have had to say that it was the worst comic ever created.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:46 pm Reply with quote
outlawwolf wrote:
Quote:
I beleve there was also a japanese spiderman manga. I'm pretty sure there are a lot out there.

Please never bring up the marvel mangaverse series ever again. It was a horrible bastardization of classic characters and was only used to cash in on the sudden popularity of the anime style in america. The stories were horrid, stupid origins, dumb characters, rediculous cliches'. Good god no! horrible flash backs making me want to dry heave. Even if a kid read the marvel mangaverse without knowing the origins of any of the charcters displayed, even he would have had to say that it was the worst comic ever created.

Believe it or not, there actually was a Spiderman manga published in Japan (aside from Marvel's piss-poor attempt to cash in on the "anime style" comics back in the 90's). I saw a Japanese volume a few years back. The art was pretty standard, and since I never was a spidey fan I didn't bother picking it up. As for other Superhero manga, Kia Asamiya worked on Batman and X-men. I've never read the later (I don't read many superhero comics nowadays unless I get a good recommendation), but his take on Batman was suprisingly strong and definitally worth a look.
As for manga adaptations of western literature, I can't recall any that haven't already been mentioned. Oldboy is based on The Count of Monte Cristo, but I haven't read it, only seen the movie.
alice20th

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:20 am Reply with quote
Osamu Tezuka did an adaptation of Crime and Punishment way back in the early days of manga. I was wandering through a used bookstore day, and I happened to come across an English translation of it done by manga translation trail-blazer Fred Schodt.

I thought it was amazing that, not only was there a manga Crime and Punishment (including slapstick comedy that I rather doubt was in the original), but an English version too. It's a wierd world.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Dranxis wrote:
I don't think it really follows the story itself, but there is an Emma manga that is told in the manner of Jane Austen:

manga#4763

Don't make up "answers" when you know nothing. Victorian Romance Emma isn't the slightest bit related to Jane Austen's Emma, except for being a romance that takes place in Britain. It is a damn good manga, and a fine anime, but it has no direct relation to any classics of Western literature.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dranxis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Don't make up "answers" when you know nothing. Victorian Romance Emma isn't the slightest bit related to Jane Austen's Emma, except for being a romance that takes place in Britain. It is a damn good manga, and a fine anime, but it has no direct relation to any classics of Western literature.

Sorry, I read something to the effect that the story was based off Jane Austen's Emma. I should've checked it out myself, instead of base an assumption on that. Embarassed
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:04 pm Reply with quote
outlawwolf wrote:
Quote:

I wasn't talking about the marvel mangaverse Very Happy

There is actually a japanese manga of spiderman (written in japanese) I have 2 thick volume of it.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:55 pm Reply with quote
You know, it's only a matter of time before someone decides that Nana is a manga adaptation of Emile Zola's classic... Rolling Eyes

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:10 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
You know, it's only a matter of time before someone decides that Nana is a manga adaptation of Emile Zola's classic... Rolling Eyes

You know, I think I'll go add that to the trivia section of Nana's encyclopedia entry right now. Wink (joking, joking...)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MonkeyFunk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:40 am Reply with quote
Osamu Tezuka did a Merchant of Venice manga, too.
Fuyu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:49 pm Reply with quote
well i'm not really sure, if you don't mind yaoi how about ludwig II? It actually has some real information about the king of bavaria-ludwig II , though the rating is high (for adults i think?), or count cain/earl cain that has some, though it's more gothic, and have hints of slach/yaoi....and gore.......

well, yeah

Last edited by Fuyu on Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2