• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Favorite Studio Ghibli Film?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dranxis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:59 am Reply with quote
Forgive me if this has been asked a thousand times, but I was just wondering what everyone's favorite Ghibli films are, including Takahata's and Miyazaki's movies.

Since the only Takahata movie I've seen is Grave of the Fireflies (which was excellent though too melancholy to be my favorite) most of mine are Miyazaki directed ones. I just saw Nausicaa for the second time and loved it, but I thought the manga was better (but the movie was as good as an adaption of that manga could ever get. It would take 8 hours to tell the whole manga's story). Another one that's up there for me is definetly Porco Rosso, it has a sense of class and adventure that the other movies lack, and its dogfight scenes are just spectacular.

Finally, another favorite of mine would be Howl's Moving Castle. I can't exactly say why, but I just loved that movie. Yes, yes, everyone else seems to hate it, though I can't understand why. It seems like people were trying too hard to compare it to Spirited Away. I never thought the Miyazaki movies were good on a comparative level; they need to be viewed individually. So why is everyone griping about how HMC wasn't quite as good as his last film? Confused
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:44 pm Reply with quote
You can check here for your answer.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/ratings-anime.php
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Kiki's Delivery Service, Whisper of the Heart, and My Neighbour Totoro, because I like the stories simple, straightforward, focused, and unpretentious, and I prefer it when the lead characters are charming, easy to relate to, and down-to-earth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
.Sy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:54 pm Reply with quote
My favorite Ghibli movie out of the two that I've watched Anime smile + sweatdrop is Spirited Away. I like everything ( I can think of) about it. It's visually stunning with the animation and art. The main character wasn't annoying IMO. The part about SA that I enjoyed most though, was the ending. I thought it was complete and concluded the main plot. Not perfect, but close enough. If I like an anime/manga a lot and the ending just blows, it drives me wild. I still rant sometimes about Witch Hunter Robin.
I also enjoyed Howl's Moving Castle. I think some people might have been turned off by the bishounen in there, but I didn't think it was bad by any means. The ending may have been a little weak, but ended the story at least. I really liked the castle, the animation of it moving was nice to look at.

Last edited by .Sy on Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dranxis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I also enjoyed Howl's Moving Castle. I think some people might have been turned off by the bishounen in there, but I didn't think it was bad by any means. The ending may have been a little weak, but ended the story at least. I really liked the castle, the animation of it moving was nice to look at

Yeah, people are so used to his characters being down to earth and realistic that I can see why people might not have liked Howl. I thought it suited his character though, and although I'm not too familar with the original novel, I got the impression that he was intended to be a sort of foppish bishounen from the start. Anyway, I didn't think that it hurt the story at all.
Pacifica Casull

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:27 pm Reply with quote
It has to be my neighbour totoro as it's nice to have a break from all the action.But if i don't feel like a break from action,it'll have to be spirited away...such a compelling story...i wish i was there when i watch it...
Arcadean

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:33 pm Reply with quote
By far, Miyazaki's My Neighbor Totoro. This just grabbed me and never let go. I believe it to be the Singin' in the Rain of Japanese animation and it is one of my favorite films of all films I have seen (including live action). As a matter of fact it is in my top 10 along with movies like Lawrence of Arabia and 2001: A Space Odyssey. Whenever I watch it I have a smile on my face for hours afterwards without even realizing it. No other animation film (Disney or anime) has even come close.

One thing I noticed when I watch it is that it makes me feel like a kid again and I don't think any other film has done that for me.
patch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Mine would have to be Princess Mononoke.

The first Ghibli/Miyazaki film I saw was Mononoke, so maybe a little partial because of that. Smile
YourNeighborTotoro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I have to say that I like all of the Ghibli films I've seen. There all really wonderful and never fail to entertain me. I'm going to highlight a few:
1. Spirited Away because not only was it very good, it was really what got me started in anime.
2. Kiki's Delivery Service because it was the first Ghibli movie I ever saw.
I can't say these are my favorite because, well, I love all of them equally. But there is no doubt about it, Totoro is probably one of the cuteset guys in all the Ghibli movies! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mitora

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I'd have to say Princess Mononoke with Howls Moving Castle in second.

As for my Dad, his favorite is also Princess Mononoke with Castle in The Sky in second. Smile

Or maybe Castle in The Sky is my second favorite too...
mahoro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Mononoke Hime for the socio-environmental commentaries.

Runner up Laputa for the same, but also a reminder of the loss of childhood innocence and how, sometimes it is best to let it happen earlier and adapt.

Both IMO are classics. Idea
Siilent

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:42 pm Reply with quote
You mean all of this HMC bashing is just because people didn't like Howl? That's insane, he was my favourite character out of any Ghibli film. o_o

Of course, I hated the movie. We left the theater completely puzzled. o_o It wasn't as good as the others, I don't think, but Howl was the only part I ended up liking.

My favourite Ghibli film...I've only seen the first ten minutes of this 'Nausicaa'. Is it really as good as I've heard?

I loved Kiki's delivery service when I was younger, and it's still very special. Mononoke is still growing on me; it's the kind that takes me time to accept. The violence was quite surprising, especially when the man's arms fly off. That was the worst part. Anime hyper I don't mind blood and gore, but a graphic close-up of arms...Not needed. The characters were nice, though, and for once my favourite character of a film was female.

I don't think I've seen any of these 'Takahata' films. Obviously they aren't as big a hit, as I've only heard of one.

Spirited Away was a wonderful film: Haku was a great character. The things that capture me the most are the characters, I think. Of course, getting back to HMC, even Howl couldn't have me love the movie.

My Neighbor Totoro brings back memories. Last time I watched it was when I was six or seven, and I remember adoring it. I can never find it, though, and I've been searching in the rental movie store for a while. I can only remember some of it, like somehting about a tree, and the three creatures, and the two girls, and the umbrella, and the little Totoro theme song, but that's really all. I can't remember the plot.

I guess I couldn't pick a favourite. Spirited Away might be the best in my eyes, but then I think back to Princess Mononoke, and I think how stylish and cool it was. Plus, it had the most plot to it. Then Kiki and Totoro bring back memories, and I remember how much I loved them.

It's an impossible decision, really.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Siilent wrote:
[My Neighbor Totoro]: I can't remember the plot.

Perhaps the simplest plot of any movie ever. I have a feeling that I would have loved it as a child and when I do eventually have kids it will no doubt be on my shelf, but until then the movie is just too thin to pique my interest. I loved [i]Princess Mononoke[i], as it is one of my favorite movies. I remember the first time I saw it; I chanced upon it on HBO, I had never heard about Miyazaki or Ghibli before but knew I was interested in anime and so I gave the thing a chance. Wow, I was simply blown away by the film, it was like nothing I had ever seen before: the stunning visuals; the fully developed characters; the subtle but potent themes of conservation, courage, and surviving in the face of adversity. Since then PM has become deeply rooted in my psyche, perhaps more than any movie should be. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop No other Ghible movie can really be as good, though there are plenty of other great films.

[i]Howl's Moving Castle[i], I don't get where all the bashing comes from; it was great. The only problem with the whole film came at the end when Miyazaki tried to tie up all the loose ends in a heavy handed way spoiler[i.e. having Tuniphead turn out to be a prince who just happened to have the power to instantly stop the war, WTF?] I found the body of the movie to be thoroughly entertaining.

My second favorite Ghibli movie is [i]Pom Poko[i], I know I'm bizarre, but that movie leaves me with a big smile every time after I watch it. What more do you want form a movie?
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Totoro is my favourite, because its just awesome, and makes me smile every time I see it
its closely followed by Mononoke, though, and then Castle in the Sky (which has some truely beautiful scenery)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Iemander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I hated Howl's moving castle. spoiler[ "Hey I'm actually some important dude from somewhere never explained in this film and I have no real purpose at all"]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2