• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
kodocha

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shako

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Well i have seen the ads all over ann and i wanted to ask if anyone noticed that the main characters look exactly like yuu and miki from marmalade boy and i was wondering what they mean by pimp is a 5th grader a prostitute or something?
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:40 pm Reply with quote
shako wrote:
Well i have seen the ads all over ann and i wanted to ask if anyone noticed that the main characters look exactly like yuu and miki from marmalade boy and i was wondering what they mean by pimp is a 5th grader a prostitute or something?

That's one heck of a sentence.

Anyway, "Pimp" is Sana's nickname for her bodyguard.
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:54 pm Reply with quote
The manga really looks like a MARMALADE BOY art-style kinda rip-off, but I think that the ANIME seems to further itself from that... while carrying off the trademark charicature and facial expression thingies *or whatever you call them*

ALSO

It just occured to me that I don't get the whole PIMP joke...

I mean, SANA is the one paying REI... right?

So shouldn't it be GIGOLO? *They did use that in the TOKYOPOP adaption of the manga*

A pimp according to this online dictionary thingy is

"one who derives income from the earnings of a prostitute usually by soliciting business"

... yup, I don't get it Shocked

Anyway, you should check the show out, it's pretty great

Real hyper and a lot of fun... you might find it annoying though, so it depends

but take note that the US release has licensing issues and has audio dropouts in the JAPANESE track
Cassandra

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:16 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:

So shouldn't it be GIGOLO? *They did use that in the TOKYOPOP adaption of the manga*

A pimp according to this online dictionary thingy is

"one who derives income from the earnings of a prostitute usually by soliciting business"

... yup, I don't get it Shocked

Manager:Actress as Pimp:Prostitute
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
shako

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:25 pm Reply with quote
ya im actually really looking forward to seeing this but i want to wait a bit until a few more dvds come out so i wont be waiting all the time for the next dvd
Gauss

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:54 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
The manga really looks like a MARMALADE BOY art-style kinda rip-off,

Pardon, but that's unfair. Kodocha follows the conventional style of the shoujo genre and is not ripping off Marmalade Boy, which also happens to follow the same conventions. Once you look beyond the superficial similarities imposed by the genre's style the differences between the two should become obvious.

Quote:

He's also her manager. So the joke is that as manager he pimps her out to the media. Interesting that Tokyopop would go for gigolo. Perhaps the Japanese word can mean both?
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Gauss wrote:
He's also her manager. So the joke is that as manager he pimps her out to the media. Interesting that Tokyopop would go for gigolo. Perhaps the Japanese word can mean both?

Sana says: 私、ヒモいる小学生 (watashi, himo iru shougakusei = "I'm a grade-school student with a pimp").

The word is ヒモ (himo, "pimp", also written with the kanji 紐), not ジゴロ (jigoro, "gigolo").

And yes, I think Sana is referring to him this way because he's her manager - and also because it serves to point out that she got to know him when she was much younger and (presumably) ignorant of what the word meant. It underscores the innocent yet screwy nature of her relationship with him.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Exactly. The thing is that Sana does not use the word properly, which is why the whole thing is funny (not sure if this is in the anime, but in the manga spoiler[when it turns way more serious, Sana is finally corrected and informed as to what a pimp is and why she should never call Rei a "pimp" ever again]).
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Gauss wrote:

Pardon, but that's unfair. Kodocha follows the conventional style of the shoujo genre and is not ripping off Marmalade Boy, which also happens to follow the same conventions. Once you look beyond the superficial similarities imposed by the genre's style the differences between the two should become obvious.

Well, yeah... that does come off as unfair

But still, I read the KODOCHA manga before the MARMALADE BOY manga, and when I got to MB, it made me go all:

"Dang, this looks like KODOCHA"

But yeah, that was kinda harsh, sorry about that

abunai wrote:

And yes, I think Sana is referring to him this way because he's her manager - and also because it serves to point out that she got to know him when she was much younger and (presumably) ignorant of what the word meant. It underscores the innocent yet screwy nature of her relationship with him.

- abunai

I think I'll buy that

Anyway, it's just really confusing when I actually stop and think about it...

I'm also impressed that I managed to spark discussion about such a thing
shako

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:50 pm Reply with quote
i dont really think the storys is whats similar and since i haven't seen it yet i cant judge it but it looks really good but the two lead characters look the same as in marmalade boy except younger
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:55 pm Reply with quote
If possible though, try renting or borrowing

This is a long commitment *102 episodes was it? There was this OAV or something, but I doubt we'll see it here in the US*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1