• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Pokémon Character Bentō Recipe Book Published

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LunarBluestone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Too cute! Now... if parents have the time to make this for their kids, they're set.
_V_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:24 pm Reply with quote
"to serve Pokemon"? Its a cookbook!

Seriously, there's a difference between "using cute mascots to promote the food" and "the food actually looks like the cute mascots, and you're devouring Pikachu"
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:32 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
"to serve Pokemon"? Its a cookbook!

Seriously, there's a difference between "using cute mascots to promote the food" and "the food actually looks like the cute mascots, and you're devouring Pikachu"

Agreed. It looks like rice was placed where Pikachu's ear's should be. And if that sentence alone wasn't strange enough, I am positive eating it would be.

Way too strange for me, though it's intent isn't meant to be strange.
Bell02

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:44 pm Reply with quote
It's not like they didn't sell Pokemon Bento lunch boxes and treats for kids before, and it's not like people haven't made their own Pokemon bento boxes before either...

(I mean really, shaped rice balls are really no different than character cookies or fruit snacks)
Racheldoublemm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Pokemon is Pokemon and Cute is Cute.
Cultural differences in heath education aside, I'd make a Eevee themed lunch in a heart beat.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:48 pm Reply with quote
And the English translation of the book would be chock full of "doughnuts" and "sub sandwich" recipes.
The Goron Marshall

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
And the English translation of the book would be chock full of "doughnuts" and "sub sandwich" recipes.

They stopped doing it ever since 4Kids lost the rights. They're being properly referred to as rice balls now.

Okay granted the correct term is onigiri, but rice balls are still correct.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:26 pm Reply with quote
The Goron Marshall wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:

They stopped doing it ever since 4Kids lost the rights. They're being properly referred to as rice balls now.

But it's still fun to bash 4Kids.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
The Goron Marshall wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:

But it's still fun to bash 4Kids.

True, but I seriously have absolutely no clue why 4Kids would ever name rice balls doughnuts. Doesn't take a genius to know that they are entirely different. Yes both are carbohydrates and both can be fried, but one is made with bread and one isn't.

Just doesn't make any sense at all.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

True, but I seriously have absolutely no clue why 4Kids would ever name rice balls doughnuts. Doesn't take a genius to know that they are entirely different. Yes both are carbohydrates and both can be fried, but one is made with bread and one isn't.

To quote George Carlin:

Quote:
"Think about how dumb the average person is. Now realize that half the population is dumber than that."
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

To quote George Carlin:

Quote:
"Think about how dumb the average person is. Now realize that half the population is dumber than that."

So is that why we have so many warning labels these days? Just kidding completely. But in complete serious, some of those warning labels just make question so much. Such as the Bleach labels (not the anime) it's fairly obvious that solution is pretty toxic and I imagine if could cause some serious damage. But why do they that label do not consume? Shouldn't that be obvious to anyone that can read that liquid shouldn't be inhaled? The word corrosive should be big enough clue that product is hazardous.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:13 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
So is that why we have so many warning labels these days? Just kidding completely. But in complete serious, some of those warning labels just make question so much. Such as the Bleach labels (not the anime) it's fairly obvious that solution is pretty toxic and I imagine if could cause some serious damage. But why do they that label do not consume? Shouldn't that be obvious to anyone that can read that liquid shouldn't be inhaled? The word corrosive should be big enough clue that product is hazardous.

Actually, i'm referring to the fact that Al KHANNNNNNN!!!! once justified the edits in the 4Kids properties that it is a necessary evil. Which just proves that Americans are so....inept in certain areas that it's sickening.
championferret

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:54 pm Reply with quote
...right, although this thread really has nothing to do with Al Kahn or 4kids or the average intelligence of Americans.

This book looks adorable! Hopefully I'll be living in Japan a few years, and really need lunch ideas and this book looks like it could fit the bill if it's easy to understand enough for kids. (of couse, I don't think I'd really go to work with pikachu shaped food, I'd just get the food ideas/how to cook from it)
monkeyshinobi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:51 pm Reply with quote
o.o They should make a book with all of the pokemon! It would be huge but i would buy it...well if it was translated at least Anime hyper I hope this one will be translated Anime hyper ...probably not. Americans don't exactly make Bentos >.<
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:16 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
...right, although this thread really has nothing to do with Al Kahn or 4kids or the average intelligence of Americans.

We have a book about making Pokemon Bento. Joke about how if the book was translated to the USA, they'd have to rewrite/reedit the whole thing to make it nothing but recipes of Doughnuts and Sub Sandwiches due to 4Kids "translation" of Pokemon. And how Americans are about as Xenophobic as the Japanese.

Yeah, it is relevant.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2