• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Quotations of Totoro's opening song

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:51 am Reply with quote
I'm curious to see how many anime quotations of the opening song from Totoro there are.
The most obvious is the one in Miyazaki's own Ponyo, but it also pops up in a episode of Jubei-chan. Are there any others anyone has come across?
Key

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I think you mean "samplings" instead of "quotations."

Anyway, this more properly belongs in the Music thread, which is where I'm moving it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Not to quibble, but I would have thought "quotation" was a perfectly appropriate word. In each of the two cases I'm thinking of (Ponyo and Jubei-chan), a character (Lisa and Jiyu respectively) breaks into a couple of phrases of the song in question. Lisa sings it straight; Jiyu mangles it to apply to her situation. In each case, I gathered that the characters had seen the film Totoro.
"Sampling" is a word I would only use to describe a kind of quotation that one piece of music makes of another...

Anyway, thanks to Key for moving the query if he thinks it will get more responses in the music section.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1