• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gundam Seed movie: Buy or Pass?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
final sage of fantas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:43 am Reply with quote
I know its not out yet, but based on what you learned about it. Would you recomend it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:45 am Reply with quote
That depends on why you're buying it. If you plan on getting it as a substitute for the series, then don't, and just buy the series. The SEED specials' retelling is far too disjointed to really make logical sense on its own. If you're expecting it to have a bounty of new material, then don't bother. The new scenes are too short & too few, typically amounting to only a brief re-animation of an existing scene (spoiler[Tolle's death,] for example). But if you're an absolute completionist who wants every piece of Gundam SEED footage that's out there, then by all means pick it up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
RoByte

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:44 am Reply with quote
The special editions also retcon a few scenes to set up for Destiny. Such as the removal of a certain helmet.
i_luv_manga/anime

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:23 am Reply with quote
that depends, because the movie is only a summary about the entire series. but if u haven't watched the entire series yet, u might want to buy it to get the gist of the series and c if u like it, then get the entire series.
crion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:44 am Reply with quote
I'm actually considering picking up movies are a replacement for the series. I picked up the series and am enjoying watching it, but I don't see myself re-watching the entire 50 episodes. If movies do a good job summarizing the series, I might replace the series with the movies in my collection.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:48 pm Reply with quote
crion wrote:
If movies do a good job summarizing the series, I might replace the series with the movies in my collection.

Expect to be disappointed then. I found the movies to be poorly spliced together and very disjointed. Just seemed like a slapping together of various scenes in the order they occurred, with little tying them together.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
.Sy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I really don't recommend it as a substitute for the series. You might not enjoy it, and that would just be wasting money. Either watch the series, or just forget the whole thing. If you've seen part of the series, you could chance it.
RS4NT_786

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I saw the first Gundam Seed movie before watching the series - and as a result I had no clue whatsoever of what was going on...
Although I did enjoy the movie (well, the action scenes saved it for me Anime smile + sweatdrop ), I thought that it had a rushed feel to it.
When I started watching the episodes though, I enjoyed them more because I could finally see depth in the story and characters.
So, if I had to choose one over the other, it would have to be the series.
crion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Expect to be disappointed then. I found the movies to be poorly spliced together and very disjointed. Just seemed like a slapping together of various scenes in the order they occurred, with little tying them together.

This is disappointing to hear. I was hoping to see a quality retelling of the series similar to the compilation movies for the original Gundam. I hope Zeta Gundam movies are better put together than this.
final sage of fantas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I think I'll buy it because I missed like 15 (including the last one Crying or Very sad )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:10 pm Reply with quote
final sage of fantas wrote:
I think I'll buy it because I missed like 15 (including the last one Crying or Very sad )

So...despite several people telling you that the movies are NOT a decent substitute for the series, you're still going to buy the movies as a substitute for the series?

Eh, whatever. Have fun throwing your money away.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1