• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime converted to Videogames

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:59 am Reply with quote
I was just wondering how may are out there?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:44 am Reply with quote
Probably too many, at least in Japan. I don't think we even get 1/8th of the anime video games they have. Most of them aren't very good from what I've seen, aside from Super Robot Wars and Berserk (for PS2).

The GitS: SAC game here in the U.S might be fun if I could ever get used to those stupid first person controls. I've yet to play the Fullmetal Alchemist or Inu Yasha games.

There are also various Gundam games, but I've only played Battle Assault 2, which is OK, but gets repetitive in a short amount of time.

EDIT: Bolded something and corrected spelling.

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:24 am; edited 2 times in total
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:46 am Reply with quote
I have Xbox so I wouldn't know, but I sort of know now.
Ataru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Much like the GameCube, there has one or two. I know there is a Gundam game for the X-Box and there DBZ: B games for the Cube. If you want to play anime games, it's pretty much Playstation 2 and Gameboy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
I know there is a Gundam game for the X-Box

Well that's news to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Dragon Ball Z has games out, Groove Adventure Rave is from the manga Rave (Rave Master in the English Version)
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:46 pm Reply with quote
As far as I know there's no Gundam game for the Xbox, at least not in the US. There is at least one DBZ game for it. It's one of the Atari ones.
Ataru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, I thought there was. Confused But yeah, Dragonball Saga was on them all, but i was't that great anyway. But as far as games made for XBox, there wasn't much love for the XBox over there. Maybe on the 360.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
neko ewen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:21 am Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:
I was just wondering how may are out there?
Lots, though I think the heyday of anime games was around the PS1/Saturn generation. There were never many published in the U.S. though, unless it was a rare exception (like when Working Designs put out the Magic Knight Rayearth game for Sega Saturn) or a really popular title (DBZ, FMA, etc.).

With an Xbox you're kind of out of luck. Xbox is selling well in the U.S. and Europe, but the figures are abysmal in Japan. There are a few anime-themed games for Xbox published in Japan, but I haven't heard of anything that would be worth importing.

IMO it's best to think of anime-based video games as being of the same caliber as other licensed games; there are a few really good ones (Goldeneye), some decent ones (Star Wars Episode III), and lots of crappy shovelware.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
MarcKal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:05 pm Reply with quote
There are always hentai games, but most of the time, anime's converted from them.

Well, you can try Fullmetal Alchemist, maybe Magic Knight Rayearth (like, the one for the Saturn or SNES or something). Negima has a game (but that's, like, in Japan and stuff, dude, both of them). Xbox... I don't think it did very well in Japan, so, yeah.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:13 pm Reply with quote
IF you are really interested into getting anime games for your PS2 (which I feel has the best anime games) then you have to get your system moded. There are a LOT of really good games for PS2 in the anime department, several EVA games, a very good blood game that was developed to make the story even better. Not only that Cowboy Bebop has a new game out also. The .hack series is also launching a new series of games title GU. The meaning of GU can be several different things, check the trailer out for more info.

IF you are an Xbox user well your out of luck I guess, Xbox was aimed at the US audience, at it really shows. Xbox sales are very good in the US and in Japan there not really happening. And that tends to reflect on what videogames publishers will decide to make and to import to the states.

More recently the release of Zeta Gundam for the PS2 is just about to hit stores, unfortunely for us (US market) Bandai remove the online play that the Japanese release had. SO in short we got screwed.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I heard that gung slinger girl was turned into a game already and it costs sixty bucks. GSG 1,2,3 were made already and they each costs sixty bucks cause you get the anime series episodes 1-4 with the first, 4-8 with the second and 8-12 with the third. I could be wrong with the numbers,but I do know for a fact that you could get episodes 1-4 in the first game, the imported version ( I don't know about the american version of it). The only problem is that it's an imported game and it probably costs a whole lot more now. All three gammes are for ps2 though.
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:05 pm Reply with quote
No Super Robot Wars Mention?!

Ataru wrote:
I know there is a Gundam game for the X-Box

Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:05 am Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
Hmmm, I thought there was.

Okay, for the people who need more dept in to what I said in my last post.

Hmmm, I thought there was a Gundam game for the XBox.

Moving on.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:23 am Reply with quote
Super Arrow wrote:
No Super Robot Wars Mention?!

Tony K. wrote:
Most of them aren't very good from what I've seen, aside from Super Robot Wars and Berserk (for PS2).

I also forgot to mention Budokai. If there ever was a game that retained a lot of the fast paced, high flying, ki slinging action of DBZ, Budokai 3 is the best (so far).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2